* Posts by dogged

4992 posts • joined 16 Nov 2009

Amazon's tax deal in Luxembourg BROKE the LAW, says EU

dogged

Re: PR is the special olympics of electoral systems - you get elected just for turning up.

I doubt if anyone hates our current crop of self-serving shitbags more than me. That doesn't mean I want to see minority racists getting to rule coalitions.

Or the fucking LibDems. In the UK, all PR would mean is that whoever you vote for, you always get the bastard LibDems.

(EDIT @sabroni - I did not downvote you. Each man's political opinion is his own affair).

9
9
dogged

Re: EU "law"

> proportional representation

No. PR is the special olympics of electoral systems - you get elected just for turning up.

The good thing about FPTP is that at least the losers get to lose and the more they lose by the bigger losers they are. See also the BNP, the SWP and the Greens.

Admittedly, Greens do have an MP but only in Brighton and that's only because the population thought it was a contest for the best drag-act.

5
33

FERTILISER DOOM warning! PESKY humans set to WIPE selves out AGAIN

dogged

@Alan Brown

My dad was a small farmer, which is a misnomer as he may only have had 120 acres but he was also six foot eight so the description feels a bit weird. Still "bloody enormous wall of West Country Stubborn with a small farm" doesn't roll off the tongue...

anyway, he fully supported the abolition of all farming subsidies and the CAP. He said the game was rigged toward East Anglian land barons who could afford to buy as many MPS as they liked and the agrichemical companies who could afford to buy as many MAFF officials as they liked.

This is, I have discovered over the years, a very common attitude among farmers with less than 300 or so acres in the UK. In order to reduce the voting impact of this attitude, it has been the policy of most governments since Heath signed the country away to eradicate those farmers. In the name of "efficiency".

13
1
dogged

You may not WANT to overuse it but it happens pretty much everywhere for exactly the reason you stated - it isn't free.

This means that people like DEFRA (formerly MAFF) are under tremendous pressure to continually increase the "recommended" levels of fertilizer (and pesticide, herbicide, fungicide) used per acre so that the "rural economy" - ie, the fertilizer salesmen - do well. In the western world, fertilizers are also a capital 100% tax deductible business expense so they're not exactly free but come at a penalty of short-term cashflow only.

When the subsidies are pegged to be available to the very biggest farmers (as in the UK, small farmers are expected to do the capitalist thing and die because they're not subsidized efficiently by the state.... don't worry, that confuses me too but is true regardless) and those subsidies are in part discretionary based on the "efficiency" of your agriculture which is partly measured by how well you fall in line with DEFRA's recommendations... well, when that happens Monsanto sell a lot of fertilizer.

You should also note that "efficiency" has - in DEFRA terms - a one-to-one mapping with "monoculture" which by definition relies on fertilizers as otherwise the soil is leeched of N and P and cannot sustain crops (the old method was to leave land fallow for two years, preferably growing clover as a Nitrogen fixer but this is not "efficient"). It also becomes vulnerable to pests, fungi and weeds that are unable to gain a foothold in a crop-rotation system.

So yeah, it's farmers. But they are not alone in this farce.

36
2

Medic! Intel can't stanch bleeding from mobile chip biz

dogged
Facepalm

except Windows Phone only runs on Qualcomm chipsets.

Do you ever actually know anything about the things you post?

0
1

Microsoft snubs Codeplex, moves big projects to GitHub

dogged

Re: Microsoft FAIL

You can actually do some pretty amazing stuff with SharePoint. Personally, I loathe and despise the "web parts" widgets but you can write MVC5 against it now which makes it less like skindiving in sewage.

For a multi-function intranet platform with AD integration, it works. And some of the mad shit you can do with it makes it worth learning.

DISCLAIMER - this may come across as unwarranted enthusiasm but until recently I never saw the point of SharePoint at all. Then I integrated our TFS with it because the boss told me to. Then I noticed I could easily produce customisable sites to allow internal and external clients to "buy in" by giving them access to our burndown charts and tests so they could follow progress, and also feature request/bug report stuff so we could stay on top of what they wanted instead of having random lists of unprioritised crap around the place.

So I did that and learned even more crazy stuff I could easily do with it and I'm still kicking myself for not bothering with it four years ago.

Apart from anything else, it pays really well.

2
0
dogged

Re: re: Have you actually used TFS?

TFS Express is your friend.

(I know, but actually, it really is).

2
0
dogged

Yes, I am actually using it right now. As ALM it's pretty good. If the source control doesn't suit you, you can go for git instead and retain the ALM functionality including the reports and the sharepoint publication of progress data to what we are forced to call "stakeholders".

You don't like it? de gustibus. I find it incredibly flexible and (at the current price of "free for home use/hobbyist use/SME <5devs use) pretty good value.

Did you have a specific criticism or is this just another complaint that makes you look like a supercool leet d00d who knows everything without any actual basis?

9
1
dogged

That line confused me as well. TFS also supports git perfectly well, as you'd expect since visualstudio.com is (basically) just hosted TFS.

The author seems to be saying "look, this product isn't very good. THEREFORE ALL THEIR OTHER PRODUCTS MUST SUCK TOO" which isn't actually logical. That's like saying "Revels are disgusting and Mars make them so look, Mars bars and Minstrels and (er, racks brain) Twix must be disgusting too!"

Which they're not. Unless you get the American version where they put dog shit in their chocolate by law.

13
0

US and UK declare red-team CYBER WAR – on EACH OTHER

dogged

What a great way for criminals to use the publicized spook activity as a cover for doing, er, exactly what the spooks are doing.

6
0

BT bemoans 'misconceived' SUPERFAST broadband regs

dogged

Re: @AlbertH

@AC I read that as a reference to Murphy's Law.

If you didn't, perhaps the problem is at your end.

2
0
dogged

hang on

Did Ofcom just order BT to increase their prices to consumers in order to create a bigger gap?

Because it looks that way.

5
0

Microsoft cracks personalisation without prying

dogged

Re: Before the usual MS bashing....

> Why are you people so keen to defend a certain company, that you jump in to do it before anyone even says anything?

Boredom. Boredom with the usual OS-jihadis.

Try an experiment. Do a google site specific search on theregister.co.uk for the search term "Microsoft" and then read the comments.

Or you could save time on the specific searches and google "Bob Vistakin".

But you already knew that, right Bob?

1
4
dogged

Re: Before the usual MS bashing....

> When you install Windows 8, the "don't track" is off by default

No it isn't

1
0
dogged

Re: Before the usual MS bashing....

Mostly they were ignoring DNT anyway using the excuse that nobody had it switched on. Now they ignore it because some people have it switched on.

6
0
dogged

Re: Before the usual MS bashing....

it's a business-model difference. MS sell software and Azure services. Google sell you.

Therefore, MS have no downside in strongly supporting end-user privacy features while of course, Google would hurt their own profits by doing so. So, in order to differentiate themselves from Google, MS push user privacy and are prepared to spend money doing so.

I expect David Cameron to make MS illegal over the next week or so.

21
1

Kim Jong-Un shoot-em-up Glorious Leader! yanked

dogged

Re: Sums it up really

the phrase "seriously wtf SOURCE CONTROL people" springs to mind.

3
0

David Cameron: I'm off to the US to get my bro Barack to ban crypto – report

dogged

Re: A request

Naomi Klein is not exactly well-known for her ability to research or present something she didn't explicitly decide to prove before writing the damn book.

Also, only a passing acquaintance with the facts of any matter.

It's easy to be cynical about politicians selling you their agenda. You just have to be equally cynical about journalists who make money from lecture tours.

8
0
dogged

Re: Whatever.

His point is that it doesn't affect him and therefore it is neither a) important nor b) news.

See also his response to any new technology or development as reported on the Reg.

Here's a link, try it - clicky

4
0
dogged

the significant owl hoots in the night

8
0

$500 TEDDY BEAR teaches tots to spit up personal data

dogged

Re: Let me fix that for you, JDX.

Let me fix that for you, jake -

"play on the grandparents' insecurities about the exhausted parents' inability to look after the child."

Parents aren't usually the market for this shit - they're too busy and too tired. "Helpful" grandparents, on the other hand...

3
0
dogged

Re: What a waste of money

charging cables, toilet rolls, cat food, cat litter, the contents of the dishwasher/washing machine, oven doors, remote controls, anything fragile and expensive/dangerous when broken and bloody Duplo, which is not quite the landmine for the unsuspecting bare foot that Lego is but it's close.

5
0
dogged

Re: As a parent with a toddler...

From a very early early age, my little monster has savagely disassembled every stuffed toy he's been given. Grandparents still keep giving them, we either hide 'em fast or prepare to clean up a lot of stuffing.

To be fair, there was the "new baby" doll the Mrs got him to prepare him for the imminent arrival of the next monster next month but that was pretty solid plastic and mostly he beats the cat with it.

My guess is that this came from a marketing exec who has either a) no kids or b) a nanny.

10
0

It's hacker jihad: Islamist skiddies square up to Anonymous

dogged

and remember to pronounce that as "il" rather than "al" or people will look at you funny.

0
0
dogged

Re: Prophet's Jim'll Fix It Badge

Yeah and Moses lived to be 380 years old.

I think this one would fail the "beyond reasonable doubt" test.

3
1

What will happen to the oil price? Look to the PC for clues

dogged

Re: I'm more interested in the geopolitics of it

> But we now import 80% of our coal

While this is true, we still HAVE a fuckload of coal. What we don't have are any miners or working mines, as a result of deliberate Government policy in the 80s.

1
2
dogged

Re: Missed GTL Conversions and Dewatered Alge oil...

could you throw some citations in there?

0
0
dogged

Re: I'm more interested in the geopolitics of it

Not since the days of steam.

Water and coal, we have. In abundance.

4
0

Peers warn against rushing 'enhanced' DATA SLURP powers through Parliament

dogged

Re: @dogged - @dogged

> So you'd prefert to take the state snooping into everything you do and everything you read and everything you write and everything you look at?

Yeah, I can take direct action against that with OpenPGP and underground networking. I can even disrupt security snooping networks, smash CCTV cameras, flood GCHQ with heavily encrypted random packets for weeks at a time (and organize groups to help me do so) and generally make such snooping into the joke we know it to be.

I can't go build a fucking power station.

In an environment where policies come as a package and they will all lead to disgusting new laws, the duty of the citizen become determining which of those laws he can render useless.

1
2
dogged

Re: @dogged

From the link earlier about voting for policies -

"We would close down all Britain's nuclear power stations and concentrate on renewable energy"

It's not a straw man and it's not whataboutery when you have to vote for the whole thing or nothing. I'd take nothing over the Greens.

3
2
dogged

> And that's exactly the sort of attitude that suits the established parties just fine.

Not really, I'd say it about the Tories if their energy policy was to ban nuclear power forever and their defence policy was to grow a big hedge around the UK.

1
1
dogged

Re: @dogged

So banning nuclear power is fine with you.

Okay.

4
1
dogged

fuck off with your Greens.

We don't know what they'd do but - and this is important - neither do they. The Greens are the BNP for middle-class people. Idiots with no real understanding of systems who have hacked together an agenda out of newspaper headlines. The only real difference is that the newspaper is the Guardian instead of the Daily Mail.

Even in a country where the Monster Raving Loony Party still exists, the Greens are the ultimate in pissed-away protest votes. At least some of David Sutch's policies actually happened.

4
8
dogged

Re: Not getting my vote...

Your MP is a joke. I say that with some certainty because mine is a joke and in fact an overwhelming majority of MPs are jokes. Bad jokes who exist to turn up sometimes and go into the lobby the whips direct them toward. Sometimes they read out questions or sycophantic congratulations or retarded policy ideas that SPADs have come up with. Mostly they do as they're fucking told or they lose the seat with the only legal smoking bar and the decent salary and the guaranteed fat pension and the endless exploitable expenses.

Your MP is a place-filler either in it for an easy life or an ambitious untrustworthy deceitful piece of venomous shit or a worn-out timeserver with nothing constructive to add. Unless your MP is an Independent and there are statistically so few of those that I can be fairly sure that your MP is not one.

There is no democracy. Our political parties are whores to the highest bidders and will do as their paymasters demand. Whichever you vote for, you will still get the same paymasters, the same actual government.

In this case at least, Russell Brand was right - what use is voting when heads you lose and tails I win?

11
0
dogged

there is literally nothing you can vote for that won't make it all worse.

yay democracy.

18
0

Ross Ulbricht trial Day One: 'I DID invent Silk Road ... but I'm innocent'

dogged

Re: Say, that reminds me...

apparently, there was a one-gloved man...

0
0
dogged

Re: Hmmm.... So it went to trial

Ross owns $18 million worth of bitcoins. His lawyer says he got them from trading (and to be fair, it's not like their value doesn't fluctuate) as opposed to the estimate $80million in bitcoins that DPR would have stashed away.

Given his low-key lifestyle, this could be an important plank of the defence. However 18million is enough for a lawyer.

2
0

Google v Oracle: US Supreme Court turns to Obama in Java copyright war

dogged

Re: Oracle has a loaded gun, pointed right at their own foot.

None of which excuses your error - it is used for both Android and iOS development as well as oh, over 90% of the desktop market and a huge amount of servers.

Of course, I understand that you're doing the "stop liking what I don't like" internet win argument in this case being basically a "lol Windows Phone, we want less competition so my preferred platform can be all of the win" thing but being an internet staple doesn't mean it's not stupid. Far from it, in fact.

0
0
dogged

Re: Oracle has a loaded gun, pointed right at their own foot.

> .NET? I'd bet there are more apps made for BlackBerry than mobile .NET stuff, given that .NET is only used in the least used mobile OS ever:

I added the emphasis. I'll bet you never heard of Xamarin. Or Mono. It's the only explanation for being so stupendously wrong.

0
4

Bloke in Belgium tries to trademark Je Suis Charlie slogan

dogged

Pills.

Keep taking them, AC.

31
1

Icelandic brewers knock up whale 'nad beer

dogged

Re: Yummy

They'd better grate some puffin on there or I'm not buying it.

4
0

Tax Systems: The good, the bad and the completely toot toot ding-dong loopy

dogged

Re: Ummm yes but..... @Tim

> By moving the transaction to a place without the tax

I can see that working out really well for Tesco! Wait, no I can't.

> Because even 0.35% adds up if you're doing dozens of 100K transactions per day, or per hour.

If you're doing that you are either stock/bond trading - which is exempt, if you bothered to read anything - or you're selling to the public at a low margin in which case you are most certainly passing that cost along because as Tim points out, business doesn't pay tax.

0
0
dogged

Re: Yeah, but...

Tim, you say the deadweight cost is lowest on sales taxes such as VAT but look at what happened with the pasty tax? Even Little Gideon was forced to back off, which indicates that the deadweight cost is actually very high. Logically, the only place a deadweight cost is low is where taxpayers have no choice but to choose to make themselves liable for the tax so that'd be things like VAT on essential items (like clothing), Road Tax (or SORN, the mere act of owning a car means you pay tax whether or not you drive it or even if it works) and taxes on heating, light, other utilities.

On those you can stick the rate up as far as you like and rake in the money, except that doing so will actually kill people long term because 20% is very high after all the other tax you pay and you have no choice. If, as the AC above says, it was 0.35% you'd probably have a lot more left than you currently do, not counting the fact of the Chancellor taking less of your actual pay.

It's a big change and I desperately want to find a reason for it to be impractical because if it IS practical then we're just self-harming as a nation by not doing it.

Some day, somebody will do a Party Political Broadcast where they do nothing except "A week in the life" highlighting how much of a normal person's wages are taken in tax. All taxes, not just Income Tax.

And if we don't do something soon, that day will be the first day of the revolution.

0
1
dogged

Re: @Tim Worstall

> At worst it would cripple the economy as the wealth generators and educated and mobile workers leave for somewhere less hostile.

"Wealth generators"?

Rich people very rarely generate wealth. Big business does not create jobs - on the contrary, it cuts jobs. Small businesses make jobs.

1
4
dogged

Yeah, but...

Okay so 1% would raise 1.5 trillion which is all of GDP so clearly 1% is too high.

But I find myself wondering - what happens to GDP when all those other taxes are gone? Do you spend more or less when you seem to have a minimum of 30% more money? When your petrol costs 50p/litre? What happens to to GDP in that situation? Does it fall? I suspect not.

If cash transactions are taxed at on withdrawal/deposit, doesn't that mean your incentive to dodge taxes is now bigger in paying normal tax than by arsing about with cash?

If we (the UK Government/people/etc) now own so much of at least two major banks, couldn't "we" - the same "we" - give everyone a bank account and say "Oh by the way, if your wages get paid into that then they will be taxed at %tiny_but_significant_reduction_on_normal_transaction_tax)" which not only reduces the cost of collection but actually makes UK Plc into a savings bank with astonishing security and only one borrower (HMG)?

I was really looking forward to this article because the idea seemed quite appealing and nobody really had any genuine objections on the record. I hoped Tim would go into detail, throw some facts and figures around and point out the blindingly obvious hole in the logic that I can't seem to find. Instead all we got was "1.5 trillion lol" and that was pretty much it.

A pity.

0
3

Last year was utter rubbish. Thanks for being part of it!

dogged

Re: Come on the great South, we're rooting for you

> KJ Un

Oh, now you did it. Now he is forever a Tomblyboo in my head.

1
0

5 Times An 'Unhappy Person' Dared To Use The Word 'Boring' At CES 2015

dogged

@ cambsukguy

"I've got nothin' against your right leg..."

2
0

Stuck on a coding problem – should you Bing it?

dogged

Re: Fits in well with Windows 8

And here we are on Friday afternoon and.... meh.

It's okay. Maybe you need to build up a habit of using it but I tend to research _before_ I code and generally only look up APIs via F1.

Haven't used the right-click compile error at all.

0
0

Microsoft patch batch pre-alerts now for paying customers ONLY

dogged

Alternative Statement

In a more honest universe, Chris Betz wrote -

"We're sick of red-top IT websites trotting out the same story every month and getting a whole bunch of internet fucktards complaining that we're fixing some bugs and claiming their OS's don't have any bugs which, incidentally, they bloody do.

It's just that some vendors don't bother fixing them or admitting to them. Meaning Apple. Now go hassle Adobe."

16
2

Forums