If you'd like to view the e-mail sent to people here it is. I used to use them to buy retro games as could get the odd bargain now and then.
Cash Converters Webshop has recently been subject to an online security breach. We are taking this extremely seriously and have provided you with details of the breach below.
Please be reassured that – alongside the relevant authorities – we are investigating this as a matter of urgency and priority. We are also actively implementing measures to ensure that this cannot happen again.
Our customers truly are at the heart of everything we do and we are both disappointed and saddened that you have been affected. We apologise for this situation and are taking immediate action to address it.
What has happened
• Cash Converters was notified that a third party had potentially gained unauthorised access to a Cash Converters’ UK customer database.
• The data that has been accessed relates to Cash Converters UK data from a recently decommissioned Webshop site. This site was decommissioned when the new website was launched in September 2017. This site was hosted by an external third party.
• Please be assured that the Webshop site currently in operation has not been affected.
What information was involved
• The customer data that has been accessed includes Webshop account names, passwords and delivery addresses. Please note, this does not include your credit card details.
• This information is limited to Webshop and has no impact on store activity.
What are we doing
• Cash Converters is working with the relevant authorities in Australia and the UK to investigate this matter.
• Although some details relating to the cyber security breach remain confidential while Cash Converters works with the relevant authorities, we will continue to provide as much detail as possible as it becomes available.
• We have reset all UK Webshop user passwords and they will need to be changed the next time that you log on. This has been done to reduce the risk that any customers used the same password on both the old and current Webshop sites.
• The current Webshop site was independently and thoroughly security tested as part of its development process. We have no reason to believe it has any vulnerability, however additional testing is being completed to get assurance of this.
What you can do
• Please change your Webshop password the next time that you log on.
• If you used the same Webshop password on other websites, please also consider changing these passwords.
• We are continuing to assess and validate the potential impact of this incident. We will keep you updated as soon as new and relevant information becomes available.
• If you would like to speak to somebody directly about this, please call the Action Fraud team on 0300 123 2040.
Identity theft prevention tips
1. Be aware of phishing – some identity thieves pretend to be banks, shops or government agencies, over the phone and via email. No legitimate provider would ever ask you to confirm your identity in this way. Unless you made the contact, don’t give out any personal details. Ask questions and don’t be afraid to say “no”.
2. Make your passwords complicated – use different passwords for each of your different accounts. Ensure your passwords are at least eight characters and contain letters, numerics and punctuation marks.
3. Protect your phone and laptop – when in public, protect your phone and laptop screen from view, especially when entering personal and banking information.
4. Check your credit report – it’s a good idea to check your credit report and rating once a year to ensure that there haven’t been any debts or accounts opened in your name. You can check for free using Noddle or Experian.
Cash Converters UK