* Posts by scarper

17 posts • joined 12 Feb 2016

Reliable system was so reliable, no one noticed its licence had expired... until it was too late

scarper

Re: Never assume soon means less than lifetime of Universe

Back in their salad days, Xerox PARC would put "Interim" into the name of any project they wanted to be long-lived.

Boffins debunk study claiming certain languages (cough, C, PHP, JS...) lead to more buggy code than others

scarper

The best language is...

... the one that allows you to say what you want in the fewest lines. Most of these bug studies deal in bugs per line, not bugs per concept.

And the winner is ... whatever language has a library (or libraries) for the thing you're trying to do ! Library code is a lot more debugged than newly minted code, and it doesn't take many lines to invoke the goodness.

Should the super-rich pay 70% tax rate above $10m? Here's Michael Dell's hot take for Davos

scarper

Re: Income Tax - Smincome Tax

>> The last time the US imposed a luxury tax, the rich stopped buying yachts, putting yacht builders out of work.

No, actually. The rich stopped buying yachts built in America, putting American yacht builders out of work. Yacht builders elsewhere took up the slack. I really hated Bush for that move.

Intel Management Engine pwned by buffer overflow

scarper

Re: Mistrust goes in what direction ?

Actually, I don't misunderstand. Intel thinks that when this device has an argument with me, the device should win. And, like with DRM, I fail to see why I'd want to pay extra money to have diminished authority over my possessions.

scarper

Mistrust goes in what direction ?

This technology is premised on the idea that I trust the hardware, so that's who should decide if incoming software is trusted.

But in practice, it looks like I trust a signed Linux kernel more than I trust some recent hardware. So it's not clear why I would pay for something whose function is to decide if it wants to argue with me.

Opportunity rover survives Martian winter for eighth time

scarper

Re: Obligatory...

>> .. could provide enough force to blow dust off the panel.

That's called "sneezing". Or anyway it was when some early hard disks did it.

Rolls-Royce, Airbus, Siemens tease electric flight engine project

scarper

Re: Advantages

>> The other option is to have enough battery capacity to allow flight to an emergency landing site (you don't need anything like full power for that).

> Unless of course, the plane misses the threshold and needs a go around.

And this is worse than a jet gliding into the airport, you're saying ?

scarper

Re: Advantages

>> I take it the companies are getting huge grants to develop these technologies?

No need for grants. Not everyone misunderstands the weights of things as badly as you do. A jet engine is much bigger than a turbine, and a gearbox that can transmit megawatts isn't light. Electric motors are light. Check out the NASA X-57 project. They expect a 60 kilowatt electric motor, plus its propellor, to weigh 57 pounds.

In the states, the FAA has actually had meetings with all the companies exploring similar designs, trying to work out the regulatory framework before the tsunami hits. Heck, there's a startup that has pre-sold its first 25 planes.

scarper

Re: Advantages

>> HS, I don't understand this "If the planes can take off and land on electric power alone, all of a sudden lots of airports can allow a larger number of flights especially at night"

>> Can you elaborate?

Noise.

Dunno about 90-passenger regional transports, but two-person electric planes have been flown, and multiple reviewers (of multiple planes) all were thrilled about the reduction in noise.

A future of AI-generated fake news photos, hands off machine-learning boffins – and more

scarper

Next, vid

Next, fake videos of politicians saying dodgy things. As predicted by the late, great science fiction author John Brunner in, um, 1969. Little did he know we'd get politicians who tweets are accepted as court evidence of a law's illegal intent.

Four techies flummoxed for hours by flickering 'E' on monitor

scarper

>> I'll raise you baby monitors and WiFi.

I'll raise you EPROMs and radioactivity.

Back in the days of 1-kilobyte UV-erasable EPROMs, a customer called us, saying that the system he'd bought had stopped working.

Installing a fresh new EPROM fixed his box. But a month later, he called again.

Eventually, our field technician asked the critical question. Which was, what was on the other side of the wall ? Well, this was a human-occupied office. But the customer was Atomic Energy Of Canada, and the gear on the other side of the wall generated the odd particle or two. In fact, we calculated, it generated about enough particles to cause a one-bit erasure in about a month.

The technician moved the system down the hallway 30 feet, and the problem never happened again.

No hypersonic railguns on our ships this year, says US Navy

scarper

minor correction

>>> Serious military-grade lasers work on large quantities of chemical fuel, and they do run out of ammo.

The military used to have lasers that used a reacting chemical as the laser medium. They've switched to solid lasers pumped by laser diodes. The diodes burn more than half the power, BTW.

>>> It has enough kinetic energy to punch through one side of the ship and out the other side

Yes, but high speed collisions spend some of that energy destroying the impactor. Which is why the talk of long rods - they leave a deeper crater.

Lyrebird steals your voice to make you say things you didn't – and we hate this future

scarper
Mushroom

Hmm. The 1975 John Brunner novel that coined the term "worm" also had a journalist who "interviewed" politicians, complete with live simulated video, and scripted live voice. And now here it comes.

Renewed calls for Tesla to scrap Autopilot after number of crashes

scarper

Re: Consumer Watchdog?

>> A marketing blunder because most are aware that aircraft routinely fly safely on an autopilot. So name the system "Autopilot" implies it can do more than the typical driver assist system.

I fly an aircraft with an autopilot. It IS a typical driver assist system. What on earth makes you think otherwise ? Airlines secretly got their tech from space aliens, and haven't shared ??

scarper

>> The evidence suggests that Tesla's cars harm consumer safety.

The post contains no evidence about Tesla's cars killing people more often than other brands do.

Scariest climate change prediction yet: More time to eat plane food

scarper

Re: Hummm...

"... Do I really need to cite a Nature article with JH's name on it predicting Gobal cooling? Go look it up!"

Your claim, your cite.

scarper

Re: Another False premise...

"... On average, they will remain the same, one way will be faster, and the opposite direction will be slower."

No. I am a pilot, and one of the things we have to teach newbies is that it *doesn't* cancel out. In practice, the lose from a headwind is reliably bigger than the win from the tailwind going the other way. Any book aimed at student pilots will have a discussion of this.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019