This happened to me, sort of, late 1990s . .
. . . . .but the blame is purely on the manufacturer. They shall remain nameless, but it was a top-of-the-line LaserJet 5. We checked that it could handle 220, spec said it was 110/220.
What PrintZilla ***didn't*** say was, the 110V was one stock number, and the 220V was a separate stock number. And you couldn't buy the 220 version in North America, where we sourced everything else (all of which was dead easy to change over, flip the switch on the back of the Power Supply, and locally source the power cords to match local outlet configuration. . .)
We had to re-pack and ship the 110 version back to the States.
But the story does not end there. We were doing the install at HQ NATO. So, we called *(redacted)* Belgium, asked who their local resellers were. They named a company whose nearest office was in Antwerp, and another whose office was, conveniently, right next store to the US Support Activity. And we even had an account with them.
Or so we thought. I make a call, half in English and the rest in French, for an appointment the next morning. I get there. . . and they hand me an application form to become a customer. I was told to fill it out, and they'd get back to us in 4-6 weeks. I told them, that I needed to buy a printer now, and pulled out a wad of cash, ~180,000 Belgian Francs. Got told they didn't accept cash payments. Pointed out we already had an account in .us. Was informed that the .us was a different organization, and we needed to be an approved customer of **theirs**. I walked out.
Grabbed the Pages Jeune, and started calling companies that had HP logos in their ads. About a third, 10 or so, had the printer we wanted in stock. I got a name, a voice number, and a fax number.
Got a list of vendors, made a standard bid request. Model XYZ printer, with accessories A and B, for cash, delivered to HQ NATO C/o my employer's Company and the US Mission. Best price, taxes and delivery included, reply by fax with bid NLT 1400, Friday (this was a Tuesday afternoon).
Got one bid on Wednesday, after lunch. And then nothing. Called the outfit that bid on Friday at 1410, and we arranged delivery and payment for Monday morning. Easy peasy, installed as per the book, no circuits popping. Up and running by COB.
Rest of the network install continued over the next two weeks. But two weeks after we sent out the bid, a second company responded, with a much higher price, and delivery in 20-30 days. Ignored it. Next morning, the guy called, and asked when we could work payment for his bid.
I pointed out that bidding had closed ~10 days prior, someone had been selected, the printer paid for AND INSTALLED for a week-plus.
Guy flips out, did we not know who he was, he would complain to NATO, I pointed out that NATO wasn't buying it, a private US company was, supporting an activity based in the Pentagon. He said he would complain to the Ambassador. I gave him the Embassy switchboard number and wished him luck. . (turns out he had done this before, the Embassy had him on their "cranks" list. . .). The next day, the team flew back to .us.
2-3 weeks after this, we get a call from the US Mission. Seems that the original reseller had approved us to be a customer, and they wanted to discuss when we could take delivery of the printer. . . .Apparently, they weren't amused when I emailed them, and told them that it was overcome by events. And in any case, their proffered price was about 10% higher than what we paid. . . .