* Posts by Rainman

26 posts • joined 9 Jun 2015

Dixons Carphone: Yeah, so, about that hack we said hit 1.2m records? Multiply that by 8.3

Rainman

06/04/2018 I ordered a GoPro from Curry's PC World on their website. I made absolutely sure I ticked (or unticked) all boxes to ensure I had opted out of all collection of my data for marketing purposes.

13/04/2018 I get an email from CurrysPCWorldFeedback@maruedr.com asking me for feedback on my shopping experience.

13/04/2018 Sent an email to Curry's PC World DPO explaining that I was unhappy with them sharing my data with a marketing outfit.

16/04/2018 I get an email from Revoo asking me to review my GoPro that I purchased on a specified date from Currys PC World.

16/04/2018 I contact both Maruedr and Curry's PC World continuing to express my displeasure at them being incredibly free and easy with my data and apparently ignoring any email I've sent reporting their own organised breach.

20/04/2018 I get a response from Currys PC World DPO telling me they didn't share my data and that I'd received a phishing email.

20/04/2018 I get another duplicate Revoo email.

24/04/2018 Received an email from Currys explaining that they do share my data with third parties for the purpose of conducting surveys, etc.

30/04/2018 I finally get an email from Maruedr (which, it turns out, is a legit if scummy marketing company) confirming that they received my details from Currys PC World (and they list them as a customer on their own website) and have deleted my data and have notified Curry's to do same and tell me to continuing any further correspondence through Currys.

14/05/2018 Receive an email from Maruedr that they have finished deleting my data.

This is still outstanding with Currys PC World and they haven't addressed my concerns, nor confirmed deletion of non-essential data, nor that they won't share it any more. About to report this to the ICO.

This is how much they care about your privacy.

Creep travels half the world to harass online teen gamer… and gets shot by her mom – cops

Rainman

Re: "Flew halfway around the world" = "Auckland to Sydney"?

The only thing vaguely "clickbaity" around here is the wuckfittery of your post. It's generated more clicks and comment than the other responses combined ... and there I go falling for the combait. Damn, I'm just a moth to a flame.

SaaSy HR outfit PageUp reports ‘unauthorised activity’ and data breach

Rainman

As a contractor I've been feeling bad about telling the agents that have been spamming the heck out of me (often using MailChimp) due to GDPR that they can't hold copies of my CV speculatively. It kinda felt like I might end up biting the hand that feeds me. Today that decision seems somewhat vindicated.

Activists hate them! One weird trick Facebook uses to fool people into accepting GDPR terms

Rainman

Re: A whole 4% you say.

Well 4% for every breach ... by the time they're done wouldn't be much FB left. Besides if FB got wiped out in one go by one truly massive fine then it wouldn't be anywhere near as much fun to watch. I'd have to ram popcorn down my throat by the fist-load.

Rainman

Re: How about this?

> Maybe a GDPR maven can answer this.

> Where would the law stand on FB (or whoever) charging

> money for non-slurped access? (This might or might not

> include also not getting served ads, or that could be an additional pricing tier.)

> Asking for a FriendFace...

GDPR is quite clear in that "consent" for data collection cannot be a condition of service. So they could charge for their service if they wish (assuming you're prepared to pay for it) but the issue of data collection remains the same. You could pay for a service but still legally allowed to opt-out of data collection.

Paying for a service which does not sling ads at you is something else entirely. GDPR does not cover ads and does not regulate on them. Some websites already offer users an ad free version of their service for a token annual subscription.

Rainman

> "Under the European law, companies are required to gain consent before they are allowed to use

> individuals' personal data"

> For crying out loud, has Kieren not read anything about GDPR?

In the context of this article which is referring to targeting advertising, which has to utilise data relating to EU data subjects in order to work, this is correct. Consent must have been gained before using that data for targeted advertising. A user should be "opted out" by default and just experience un-targeted ads. AFAIK Facebook doesn't do ads which aren't targeted, as that's it's USP.

EmDrive? More like BS drive: Physics-defying space engine flunks out

Rainman

FFS they've completely failed to look at the obvious - that being the need to merely find some guy called Zefram Cochrane and give him a job. Maybe we can then get on and explore the universe.

Anyone here called Zefram Cochrane? The Register seems like a likely hang out for this dude so it must be someone here that's holding this up. Come on, fess up already!

I'll get my coat.

Academics: Shutting down Facebook API damages research, oversight, competition

Rainman

Open letter from a reg reader ...

Dear Mr Academic,

We are "data subjects" and not merely ants under your magnifying glass. If you are carrying out legit research using my data then you seek my permission. Without it, you don't have any research so quit crying and get over it.

Yours,

A Righteously P'ed Off Reg Reader

UK consumer help bloke Martin Lewis is suing Facebook over fake ads

Rainman

Let the swamp draining commence!

Software gremlin robs Formula 1 world champ of season's first win

Rainman

Re: Sorry, I still don't get it...

It's not at all about being faster than under the VSC whilst in the pit lane.

It's about the time you loose when pitting relative to the pace that the rest of the field are running. VSC or not, your time to pit will be fairly similar excluding entry and exit speed - your slowest points are under pit lane limits plus the time to complete the stop, and these parts are relatively constant and similar across most of the field. The larger difference is dictated by the relative pace of the rest of the cars at the time of your stop. You loose less time relative to full race pace because track speed is slower when under VSC. If you pit under VSC you loose less time (a net gain) against the competition, and you loose even less time by pitting under the real safety car because it is even slower.

The reason we have VSC is because the real safety car is so slow compared to the operating window of an F1 car on slicks, so much so that tyre temps quickly drop out of the operating window which ultimately causes more crashes when the race restarts - you suddenly have 19 cars (because one just crashed) bunched up behind the safety car with cold tyres ready to gun it the moment the safety car pulls in. So, VSC allows cars to keep tyres closer to their operating window by allowing a pace that the real safety car just can't achieve, therefore hopefully less crashes with yet more safety cars making a bad situation worse.

Yours, a former F1 consultant.

NHS Digital heads accused of being 'suppliers', not 'custodians' of UK patient data

Rainman

@James 51

> “Patient data is a national asset"

> No it is not. My data belongs to me. The NHS gets to hold onto it to do its job but that does not mean > that it belongs to the NHS or the nation.

Alas law enforcement and bodies responsible for national security are exempted from GDPR. They could quite easily deem that enforcing immigration is both. No, the NHS should not be sharing our data but in this instance if they didn't share it this way then I'm sure it would just get shared via some other much less overt manner. In light of everything I'd much rather it happened like this so we know about it and it can be scrutinised, than for it to happen under the radar.

Since it's going to happen one way or the other, then perhaps having the transaction (rightly or wrongly) out in the open then it serves as a warning and to dissuade any non-UK parties considering a trip to the UK for free treatment.

Magic Leap's staggering VR goggle technology just got even better!

Rainman

Lord Lucan, Reginald Perrin ... Rony Abovitz?

Borked bog forces flight carrying 83 plumbers to bug out back to base

Rainman

I recon the plumbers were amazed at how efficient the airplane bog suction was, and probably tested it out with whatever came to hand.

This actually happened a while ago on a long distance flight from India to Germany, which had to do a U-turn shortly after take-off. On inspection they found that passengers had even attempted to flush blankets and pillows and had caused all the bogs to go TITSUP - "Total Inability To Suck Up Poop".

The Zuck promises to give you more local news – and so save the world

Rainman

Re: Another problem

Your IP address gives that away before your GPS does.

Rainman

Fake local news? No thanks

Just what we need, fake local news. If you think society is forked already then this has the potential to be truly incendiary.

Ex-staffer sues UK's DWP, claims superior blabbed confidential medical info

Rainman

"DontFeedTheTrolls, I guess you've never worked with someone who seems to get more time "off sick" than the rest of the team get between them if you add all their holiday allowances together..."

No one "gets time off sick". You fall sick and then take time off to recuperate. You don't get awarded time off for being sick. If you're sick enough your GP might sign you off indefinitely, but the whole point of this article is that frankly, someone elses illness is none of your gerddam beeswax! So what if someone is off sick? Just do your own job and watch your own back. That's the trouble these days, too many sticky beaks that feel that they need to know other people private lives. Sheesh!

Sky customer dinged for livestreaming pay-per-view boxing to Facebook

Rainman

Re: THAT Price for one View?

Well clearly it does because people pay it. If boxing is your thing then it might well be a bargain. Obviously it's not to you and nor me, but I wouldn't be so quick to pass judgement on someone that thinks that £20 to watch two (not one, or it might just be a tenner) half-naked swetty blokes beat ten bales out of each other .... or maybe I would .... so confused.

Parliamentary 'puters made 30k tries to procure pr0nz last year

Rainman

Re: know better

Or maybe the filters are now up to date and not blocking as many sites because some are actually not pr0nz at all?

The figures are completely meaningless and totally subjective, and only reflect the sensitivities and the accuracy of the small number of individuals employed to come up with a black-list to push out to customers devices or services. Many URLs won't have even been visited by the vendor of the filtering product or service to confirm the real nature the content - they couldn't possibly visit every site. They may also be blocking based on URL string alone. There are plenty of web-pundits that publish to the blog-o-sphere and think it highly amusing to put their content behind a risqué URL, coz they think it's clever - only for it to be blocked by most filters by default and then wonder why they don't get any hits.

Uber says 2.7 MEEELLION(ish) UK users affected by hack

Rainman

You actually believe them?

Given Uber's reluctance to come completely clean on this one has to think very carefully about there being any possible motive to slow-down the release of the information that everyone needs to know.

So, is this delay as result of Uber being just an incompetent outfit that's mined/stolen more data than it can handle? Or, is this a tactical delay because there is more to this than they've currently fessed up to? Is the number bigger? Is the stolen data potentially more damaging?

Since they've been busted for so many transgressions (with more issues yet to even get into court yet) do you actually believe anything they say?

I'd be really interested in hearing about Reg readers that still have the app installed and are still using them and the reason why. Lets breakout (more) popcorn!

Samsung Galaxy S8+: Seriously. What were they thinking?

Rainman

Pugh Pugh Barney Mcgrew ...

Awesome handset but how fast will it go from 0 to 1000 degrees c ?

After the last Samsung handset debacle their products are so far off my radar that I'm more likely to buy an poisonous snake to make phone calls on. It would probably be safer.

Vodafone loses €6bn mainly due to Indian biz writeoff

Rainman

Monetise my customer data and watch another customer walk off to another network.

Please don't call them Facebook chatbots, says Facebook's bot boss

Rainman

Botts/Apps in Messenger ... how will that help me?

Given that messenger (and now also WhatsApp) is a component of Facebook that I really do avoid like the plague due to it's extremely intrusive and blatantly obvious mobile device data stealing capabilities ... nothing they put in that festering swamp will make me want to take a swim in it.

Flying drug mule crashes in Manchester prison

Rainman

We already have an organisation which administers accreditation and licensing to fly this type of kit. It's called the British Model Flying Association, which is actually part of the Civil Aviation Authority. The BMFA needs some teeth, however anyone can just go down to Maplin and buy a ready-to-fly system off the shelf and it's completely legal to fly one in your back garden or on private property where permission has been granted without any kind of license or insurance. The restriction needs to be enforced upon suppliers selling to people without a license or insurance, thus making the sales traceable. The trouble is that everyone sells this kit now - it's no longer the preserve of your friendly local model shop.

However, given all that I've said, there is nothing to stop you buying all your own non-drone-specific components and creating one from scratch based on the open source Arduino based Arducopter software. Not being able to readily buy an off the peg ready-to-fly system might only delay you getting something in the air by no more than a couple of days.

Rainman

When the Chinese government wanted to stop drones flying over Beijing they simply made the manufacturers (DJI, etc) put "no fly zones" into their firmware updates. Of course, you could still avoid the limitation by just not updating the firmware but the way DJI seem to have addressed this is that new products which link into their flight computers need the newer firmware to function. Also, you could end up with a loads of NFZ data. Half the reason that multicopters are popular now is because the GPS guidance and stability systems make the systems as easy to fly as playing a computer game. Systems without the stability and guidance aids would still be able to function but the level of skill required is exponentially greater.

Windows 10 on Mobile under the scope: Flaws, confusion, and going nowhere fast

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Facebook Disconnect: MS apps thrown under a bus in Graph update

Rainman

"Facebook Connect – a feature which Microsoft used to integrate Facebook data with Outlook and Windows phone 7 and 8 calendar and contacts – is no longer available"

Excellent. I have no desire to mix my private address with Facebook. The integration was a step too far and made me uninstall the Facebook app on my Lumia 930 once I found that Facebook had helped themselves to my entire phonebook, and so I just used it via the web browser instead.

We don't need this level of integration and it serves no one else except Facebook.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019