* Posts by ST

588 posts • joined 14 Nov 2014

Page:

Apple to dump Intel CPUs from Macs for Arm – yup, the rumor that just won't die is back

ST
Silver badge
Angel

Re: Rosetta-a-like is absolutely necessary

> How does that help run any of the thousands of existing applications on this new architecture?

By thousands of existing applications surely you mean just three: Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and Microsoft Orifice Office. That's about 90% of Apple's ecosystem, outside of Apple.

Here's the breaking news: all three of them already run on AArch64 (ARM64).

16
1

Google Cloud chief joins Saudi shindig exodus over journalist's worrying disappearance

ST
Silver badge

was it Black & Decker?

> Yup, cuz rogue dudes can really go in and of consulates at will and abuse people inside.

With a bone saw no less.

Because that's the standard expectation of anyone visiting a foreign country's consulate: be killed and subsequently cut up in pieces with said bone saw, and then shipped in parts via diplomatic mail.

9
0

Does Google make hardware just so nobody buys it?

ST
Silver badge
Angel

Re: it's like Vertu only cheaper

> Owning Google hardware doesn't boost your social standing in any group that I know of.

There exists a - small - group of individuals who are Google hardware fanboys. They buy Pixel phones, tablets, Pixelbooks, etc. And they believe these things are cool. At a minimum, cooler, or better than all the other brands.

Are they really better? Not by a long stretch IMO.

Never mind the fact that today is October 11, 2018, and the Wow! factor of any of these pieces of hardware, regardless of their brand, is close to zero. It's an Android smartphone or tablet. There are many others just like them, and there have been many others just like them for quite a while.

> But why?

Rationally, I have no idea. Irrationally, I'd guess antropomorphism.

9
2
ST
Silver badge
Devil

it's like Vertu only cheaper

I seriously believe that people buy Google hardware just so they can show their friends they bought and own Google hardware. It has nothing to do with functionality or features.

The defining characteristics of this Pixel Slate are (a) ridiculously expensive and (b) under-spec'ed. For some people that's a thing.

Vertu complex or envy or something.

7
5

Want some of that sweet government contract money? Obama's CIO gives tips to land deals with Uncle Sam

ST
Silver badge
Devil

Re: Okaaay...

> Let me ignore the river of marketing BS flowing from FireEye for just a sec

The fact is, you can't. By the time you typed that sentence you had already been exposed to FireEye's raging tide of BS.

On the plus side, we now all know that working for FireEye is probably not a good idea, health-wise.

9
0

Oracle cloud supremo Thomas Kurian extends temp leave to the heat death of the universe

ST
Silver badge
Devil

Oracle didn't lie about Kurian. No Sir!

In Oracle's initial announcement, three weeks ago, Kurian took an extended leave from the company.

Well, this is indeed an extended leave. Very extended. It's soooooooo extended, it will probably last well past Kurian's lifespan.

There was no lying here. Fake news! Fake news!

8
0

Facebook: Up to 90 million addicts' accounts slurped by hackers, no thanks to crappy code

ST
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: They've had so many cockups, this is not news.

> Is it really news that yet again Facebook has been compromised? They hand out any data they collect like free handjobs from a £10 dollar hooker on a street corner.

Exactly. And to make matters worse - if that's even possible - Facebook's main concern right now seems to be focused on managing the PR around this debacle. How do we make Mark Zuckerberg and Sheryl Sandberg come out smelling like roses from all of this?

On top of this, they have the temerity of claiming that "the bug has been patched".

Really? Facebook doesn't even know about the security holes lurking in their own code. They stumble upon them by happenstance. Not security research, not testing. Just panic reactions after the bug has been out in the wild for ages. That little fact alone tells me everything I need to know about their code reviews and secure coding practices.

26-year-old geniuses. Yeah.

Yo, Zuckerberg. Why won't you hire some greybeards? They'll teach your pimple-faced geniuses - who still enjoy living in a dorm - a thing or two about secure coding practices and hunting down possibly catastrophic bugs.

Ooooh, I almost forgot. You stated publicly that any software engineer over 30 is just dumb.

35
0

NSA dev in the clink for 5.5 years after letting Kaspersky, allegedly Russia slurp US exploits

ST
Silver badge
Mushroom

> The link between Kaspersky and the Kremlin has been made by US officials only, without any evidence.

Hi, Volodya!

0
5
ST
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Kaspersky 'Standalone Virus Removal Tool'

> Anyone got a reliable recommendation for alternative standalone virus removal tool [ ... ]

Malwarebytes.

It's very fast and lightweight. And quite accurate. Won't hog your CPU.

Don't know if it runs off an USB stick or not, though. Never tried it.

Disclaimer: I have no association whatsoever with Malwarebytes. I just like their anti-virus based on direct personal experience.

Yes, I am forced to use Win7 on one laptop because photography software is either Microsoft or Apple these days. And, contrary to Sir Jony Ive's pronouncements, I find Apple's UI, single-button mouse and sucky keyboards extremely difficult and unintuitive/uncomfortable to use.

4
1

No, no, you're all wrong. That's not a Kremlin agent. It's someone with 'inauthentic behavior'

ST
Silver badge
Unhappy

Re: Sheryl Sandberg was/is considering a run for President

> how many past holders of that post (never mind the present one) have been qualified?

Pretty much every single one starting with FDR. I may not agree with their politics or policies but none of them appeared to be in completely over their heads when they declared their candidacy.

Yes, Nixon did terrible and stupid things, but he was Vice President before being elected. JFK and LBJ were in the Senate. Carter was ineffective once elected. Reagan was Governor of California before being elected. All of them - with the exception of the current one - had demonstrable experience and qualifications in running a government, or working for and with the government, with some degree of competence.

I'm including W. in that category. Yes, he made terrible mistakes while in office.

Getting elected to office != qualified to hold the office.

2
0
ST
Silver badge
Stop

Re: Sheryl Sandberg was/is considering a run for President

Working your way to the top -- read: infinite ambition combined with thirst for power, not declaring bankruptcy and not posting dumb shit on Twitter doesn't make one qualified to be President.

What makes Sheryl Sandberg qualified to be President? She's COO of Facebook?

5
0
ST
Silver badge
Facepalm

Sheryl Sandberg was/is considering a run for President

Or at least she's been sending some trial balloons.

The fact that she is eminently unqualified for that job notwithstanding.

I think that's frightening.

6
2

Three more data-leaking security holes found in Intel chips as designers swap security for speed

ST
Silver badge
Stop

Re: Looking at the wrong holes

> [ ... ] in critical systems, in order to protect against a malicious firmware update, all new code is signed with a private key [ ... ]

I don't think you understand what these newly-disclosed vulnerabilities are all about.

Executive Summary: Meet the new Intel CVE, same as the old Intel CVE.

This has nothing to do with malicious firmware or removing sanity checks. These are CPU design flaws. The common denominator of all these CVE's, starting with Spectre, is careless cleanup - or even complete lack of cleanup - after speculative execution.

> [ ... ] a private key that exists only on a secure machine within the company [ ... ].

How secure is your secure machine if the CPU of this secure machine leaks your super-secret private key?

28
2

Oracle's JEDI mine trick: IT giant sticks a bomb under Pentagon's $10bn single-vendor cloud plan

ST
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: Interesting that Oracle worries about "lock-in"

According to Oracle, vendor lock-in is bad, unless the vendor in question happens to be Oracle.

Also: why is Oracle so pissed about not getting this JEDI contract. It's not like they have anything remotely resembling Cloud services.

According to Forbes - which happens to be Oracle's mouthpiece when they have something fluffy to hype about themselves - Oracle's Cloud ranks #6 overall. Not exactly in the winning spot.

Hmmmmm, yes. Why wouldn't DOD award their JEDI Contract to the Cloud market's #6 also-ran.

16
0

2TB or not 2TB: Microsoft fiddles with OneDrive as competition offers twice the storage

ST
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: How much do we need?

> I have implemented OneDrive for Business as part of 365 three times

Translation: you clicked "OK" when prompted.

3
7
ST
Silver badge
Devil

scanning directly into OneDrive via the device’s camera

I absolutely love the suave and understated - I might even say bashful - specification of this giant security hole.

Did anybody actually ask for this?

13
15

Python creator Guido van Rossum sys.exit()s as language overlord

ST
Silver badge
Devil

Re: Unit Testing! :-)

> Why did C++ re-purpose the auto keyword to mean [ ... bla bla bla ... ]

C++ did not do that. But thanks for completely missing the point of C++'s auto.

5
9
ST
Silver badge
Angel

Re: Here's a PEP

> i propose introducing proper keywords like Begin and End

If you keep going down this path you'll end up writing FORTRAN. :-)

But please make the Begin and End keywords uppercase mandatory:

BEGIN PYTHON PROCEDURE Foo

[ ... ]

END PYTHON PROCEDURE Foo

And yes, the name of the PYTHON PROCEDURE must be repeated in the END clause. What else are parsers for?

Also: the line continuation token can be either a '&' on the preceding line, or a '$' on the succeeding line. Screw regexp. And the succeeding line must be indented by 4 tabs. Because.

Also also: scalar variables must be declared with var, while all other variable types must be declared with dim. For clarity, and complexity reduction.

28
4
ST
Silver badge
Devil

Re: Futuristic progression of Programming Languages?

> they all seem kind-of C-like

Python is like C in the same way a goat's ass is like an orchid.

Just sayin'.

45
11
ST
Silver badge
Devil

reflecting opinions more than best practice

From The Article:

[ ... ] some developers felt PEP 572 was a poor approach that reflected van Rossum’s opinions more than best practice.

The same can be said about the entire Python Language.

Actually, this has already been said about Python. Many times over.

40
28

Another staffer at mega-hacked Equifax slapped with insider trading rap

ST
Silver badge
WTF?

consent decree - are you kidding me?

What happened to NY State's SHIELD Act?

Ooh, I see. It's in committee. Not a priority at this time. Needs more lobbying debate.

8
0

US Supreme Court blocks internet's escape from state sales taxes

ST
Silver badge
Devil

Re: The Truth

> place the purchase of stocks and bonds under sales tax law.

Goldman Sachs is totally not digging this idea.

11
0

What's all the C Plus Fuss? Bjarne Stroustrup warns of dangerous future plans for his C++

ST
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: Disagree....

> Insulting those who raise valid criticisms of the language really helps engage the community.

It doesn't. And that was the point in the first place.

In this case, the community that you refer to is this constant background noise of commentards who are so far off the mark in their so-called valid criticisms they don't even realize they would've been better off keeping quiet.

Kind of like art critics. They can't paint or sing to save their lives, but they know exactly how someone else should paint or sing.

It's Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt.

6
7
ST
Silver badge
FAIL

Re: Design by committee

> I thought the rot in C++ started with navel-gazing over templates, about when it went from C-with-classes to designed-by-committee. But at least STL is kind-of a separate module in the language.

It would be to your advantage if you stopped opining on matters you obviously haven't the first clue about.

To begin with, STL is not a module. It's a blueberry muffin with custard filling.

9
1
ST
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: Disagree....

> C++ has been a Vasa for years. It floats because it's in dry dock.

C++ Rule #1: When you suck at writing C++, you start bashing it on newsgroups and message boards. I've yet to see an exception to that rule.

There's always PHP.

Just sayin'.

15
25

Sir, you've been using Kaspersky Lab antivirus. Please come with us, sir

ST
Silver badge
FAIL

Re: Я невиновен, товарищ!

> And even that will not satisfy you.

And how exactly would you know that? Can you read my thoughts? Are you my personal spokesperson?

The answer to the previous two questions is no.

> This is essentially what Evengy offered to the agencies, but they still declined.

OK, so if the agencies are being boneheads, open source the code for everyone to see. Let the truth be known.

> Moreover, this is a rather difficult task, because one must use the same compiler with the settings on an OS which is configured identically

Indeed. Not so difficult though. We only need to know the exact version + patchlevel of the compiler. Presumably the build system would be included with the open source publication.

> Clearly this is something that you have not had to do.

Actually I do this every single day for a living. But thanks for your efforts.

> Also, why should they open-source their IP and US companies not?

Because US companies haven't been accused of spying for the FSB or GRU.

And because inventing 20,000 excuses for not publishing the source code stinks of guilty as charged.

0
10
ST
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Я невиновен, товарищ!

> In this case it is impossible to prove innocence.

Really, it's not. Kaspersky really should, and really can, prove their innocence by open-sourcing their stuff.

We'll download the source code, we'll compile it, and we'll compare our resulting binaries with the binaries downloadable from Kaspersky Labs' site. They better be identical.

Note: interested parties have collected, over time, a large number of previous, installable versions of Kaspersky AV. So, if they try publishing some open-sauce version of Kaspersky AV source code, with missing little bits of it, here and there, we'll know right away it's not the same with what they've been peddling for all these years.

We'll document every single thing it does during installation. We'll monitor and document every single thing it does during a scan.

So, really, it's quite easy. Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

0
9
ST
Silver badge
Devil

Re: Я невиновен, товарищ!

> Why not take no-one's word for it?

Because NSA isn't selling me - or you, or to anyone else - anything.

There is no NSA Anti-Virus software available for download or purchase at nsa.gov.

Another thing NSA is not doing is recommending or advocating not running Anti-Virus software.

There are plenty of perfectly viable and competent alternatives to Kaspersky AV. Malwarebytes. Avast. Bitdefender. Just to name a few.

Disclaimer: I have no association of any kind with any of the Anti-Virus companies mentioned above, so don't even try.

Malwarebytes is my personal favorite. It's lightweight, fast and accurate. Avast is a bit heavier. Bitdefender is quite a bit heavier - meaning on system resources usage. But they do the job.

So, do your research and take your pick.

What I find very interesting - and entertaining - is this tsunami of outrage expressed almost exclusively by Anonymous Coward commentards.

It's almost as if someone - who shall remain unnamed - had a vested interest in maintaining Kaspersky AV's presence on as many Windows PC's as possible, and in making certain that Windows PC users don't uninstall Kaspersky AV, and replace it with a different - and equally competent - Anti-Virus utility.

0
7
ST
Silver badge

Re: "You are free ... to reverse-engineer it ... chance to prove"

Is being completely incoherent your strongest suit?

Please send my very best regards to Glenfiddich.

Also: Malaguez said "probably, but definitely not Tuesday, because the Vietnamese were bypassing it, and Emma had already decided on cabbage."

2
9
ST
Silver badge

Re: Я невиновен, товарищ!

What does Microsoft's licensing have to do with Kaspersky spying for the FSB or GRU?

Grasping at straws much?

0
18
ST
Silver badge
Devil

Re: Я невиновен, товарищ!

> guilty until proven innocence combined with the usual lack of due process is the new US default

When it comes to spyware, that's always been the default.

Lack of due process huh? Putinistan and the FSB giving due process lessons to the US.

Why don't your friends at the FSB Kaspersky open source Kaspersky AV? Just open source it. Let's all have a look at what that code really does.

1
17
ST
Silver badge
Stop

Я невиновен, товарищ!

> [ ... ] so that others not in the agencies can make an informed decision

You can make an informed decision. You have been told, just like everyone else, that Kaspersky is not safe to run on Government computers.

Now if you expect NSA to tell you how they came to that conclusion, you will be waiting for a very long time. They don't have to tell you. And you're not entitled to that piece of information.

You are free, of course, to download Kaspersky, reverse-engineer it, analyze what it does, and then publish the results of your research for everyone to read. That is your chance to prove to the world, once and for all, that Kaspersky is innocent and that NSA is blowing this out of proportion, for nefarious reasons.

I am awaiting the publication of your research paper on Kaspersky AV, proving its innocence. Until then, I'll take NSA's word for it.

2
36

Microsoft says Windows 10 April update is fit for business rollout

ST
Silver badge
Mushroom

least complaint-generating Windows ever

That's because everyone downgrades to Win7.

41
10

Tesla undecimates its workforce but Elon insists everything's absolutely fine

ST
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: Oracle got there first

> Oracle's common practice was to do this every year.

Still is to this day. Fire people left and right to prop up the stock price.

Let's not forget IBM. They deserve a special mention.

50
0

Android users: Are you ready for the great unbundling?

ST
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: stimulate innovation and increase choice for consumers

> Stop being a cheapskate would be my advise, you get what you pay for.

Xperia XZ Premium. Not exactly cheapskate. But thanks for your efforts.

I am sure that your Pixel is absolutely positively orgasmic.

27
0
ST
Silver badge
Mushroom

stimulate innovation and increase choice for consumers

Riiiiiiiiiight.

No utility to root your phone. If you want to root by building your own kernel, and disabling RIC, must unlock bootloader. If you unlock bootloader, you lose 25% of functionality. Hit the Intertubes and figure out which OEM libraries must be saved before unlocking the bootloader, so you can restore some functionality back.

By default, can't uninstall Facebook Slurp or Amazon Slurp. Can't uninstall OEM bloatware. Need root.

Annoying, idiotic and constant stream of Android Assistant suggestions about where to get coffee or where to buy toothpaste.

Google Maps, Drive, Chrome, Movies &TV, YouTube constantly running in the background for no real reason. Facebook and Amazon too.

300+ Google Services constantly running in the background. No obvious reason why or what for.

Android Assistant deciding that the photos you stored on your memory card - if you're lucky enough to have one - have too high resolution. Proceed to lower the resolution on all your photos, without asking for permission. Make them all look like goat ass.

Industrial-scale slurping. GPS Location Tracking enabled by default, making sure your battery drains before the end of the day. Also: We Know Where You've Been. OEM's love this feature as the batteries aren't replaceable. So you need to buy a new phone every year because the battery won't charge to 100% anymore.

I really, truly feel that my choices as a consumer have been vastly expanded. Not.

It took me 2 months of work to get my Sony phone working the way I want it to work. Slurp-O-Rama gone. One battery charge now lasts 2 days. Sorry, Sony. No new phone this year, or next.

41
5

Stern Vint Cerf blasts techies for lackluster worldwide IPv6 adoption

ST
Silver badge
Mushroom

Yawn.

<EOM>

0
7

Nadella tells worried GitHub devs: Judge us by our actions

ST
Silver badge
Mushroom

VS Code [ ... ] the most popular dev environment [ ... ]

On which planet?

I happen to like the current GitHub Web Interface patch/diff formatting. And their simple markup editor.

Note to Satnad: code writing isn't done in GitHub.

I don't want some idiotic Microsoft bloatware editor with helpful pop-ups, a trending news feed, and suggestions to connect to other Microsoft GitHub users on LinkedIn. Or Skype. None of which I will be able to disable.

Sigh. It was only a matter of time before something useful, well-designed and well-implemented was going to be borged and subsequently destroyed by Microsoft.

When you haven't come up with a single interesting idea for more than a decade, that's what you do. You turn into Oracle, you acquire companies and you create opportunities.

45
5

'Incomprehensible failure' – Canada's $1bn Phoenix payroll IT fiasco torched by auditors

ST
Silver badge
Devil

> IBM was chosen as the contractor to deliver a system based on Oracle's PeopleSoft system.

This explains everything. It was doomed from Day One.

11
1

Facebook caught up in court battle with Amazon and pals over 'ageist job ads' that targeted young

ST
Silver badge
Angel

Re: Problem is ...

> That way, any Facebook user would be able to view any job ad.

They can easily advertise jobs on LinkedIn. Or Facebook, but without age target restrictions. Or Indeed.com. Or Glassdoor.com.

Or they can create an email subscription to their job openings feed where everyone and anyone can subscribe regardless of age.

My assumption being that, in this day and age, most techies get their job openings info online, and don't read the jobs section in printed copies of newspapers. :-)

6
0
ST
Silver badge
Angel

Problem is ...

Advertising for shampoo or makeup in a teen mag isn't a potential minefield for age discrimination, as there can be no rational claim to shampoo - or makeup - discrimination.

Job adverts in a magazine that is explicitly age-targeted, on the other hand ... not good.

Amazon, Facebook, etc. can easily publish their job adverts on web sites that aren't explicitly age-targeted.

8
0

Net neutrality is saved in Senate vote! No, not really, it was a giant waste of everyone's time

ST
Silver badge
FAIL

> Thune is right.

Thune has absolutely no intention, or interest, in seeing net neutrality rules being written into law.

His only interest is in making sure that these net neutrality rules never become law. Which is why he keeps yammering about this mythical bi-partisan compromise bill that no-one has ever seen.

Has Thune ever proposed or sponsored any bi-partisan Net Neutrality legislation in the US Senate? Has he ever authored or co-sponsored a bill to this effect?

The only thing he's done, and continues to do, is to opine about what he would support - hypothetically and in theory - if such a law was ever written and brought up for debate. Which will never happen.

And when Thune is asked this very question - why haven't you written a bill and brought it up for debate?, he retreats to the good-ol' excuse it's the Democrats' fault why I haven't written a bill. They're mean and they aren't sharing. I'm telling Mom.

21
1

US Congress finally emits all 3,000 Russian 'troll' Facebook ads. Let's take a look at some

ST
Silver badge
FAIL

Re: Well, it's just about FEAR

> "transparently engineered crap that would make Stalin wince in embarrassement"

And you know that based on your extensive, real-life experience of living under Stalin's regime.

STFU.

11
21

Industry whispers: Qualcomm mulls Arm server processor exit

ST
Silver badge
Devil

Re: RISC-V is the future

> Perhaps the downvoters could explain to us just why RISC-V is not the future?

Before we talk about the future, let's focus on the present.

Can you provide a reference to a RISC-V server board available for purchase now?

Is there any compiler support for RISC-V that is more than a toy/experimental hobbyist project?

Is there a RISC-V Linux port?

Without a working board, without a working compiler, and without a working OS, it seems kinda premature to declare that RISC-V is the future.

0
0

LLVM contributor hits breakpoint, quits citing inclusivity intolerance

ST
Silver badge
FAIL

> you shift the argument from LGBTQ to race

The argument is about under-represented minorities. That includes LGBTQ as well as under-represented ethnic groups.

What makes you uncomfortable about the Black/African-American analogy is the sense of discomfort you experience when facing race-based discrimination. You seem much more comfortable with discrimination based on sexual orientation. The fact that both kinds of discrimination are equally unacceptable and evil eludes you.

> Your argument also struggles because its not the majority that are asking for quotas but the minority groups.

Ummmm, no. I did not make the assertion that LGBTQ groups are over-represented in Silicon Valley, without providing a single supporting reference. That assertion was most likely made by a heterosexual white male.

> [ ...] reverse discrimination [ ... ] can it still be justified when the group(s) it was setup to benefit has exceeded the desired result of equality?

I don't see how reverse discrimination has exceeded the desired result of equality when African-Americans are still grossly under-represented in the Facebook example.

I also do not see that there was any reverse discrimination applied in the first place, as white caucasians are still the dominant ethnic group both at Facebook, and in the US population demographics.

You can't be white, representing 61% of the population, and claim reverse discrimination.

3
3
ST
Silver badge
WTF?

In the US, LGBTQ demographics vary greatly by state.

By the same metric, and playing the same percentages game: 13.3% of US population identifies itself as being of Black/African-American descent: US Census Bureau Population Demographics.

While at Facebook only 3% of employees are of Black/African-American descent.

So, according to your theory, Facebook should: (1) fire 50% of its LGBTQ empoyees. (2) fire 20% of its white employees. (3) hire more Black/African-American candidates unti they reach the 13% percentage. But they have to be very careful when hiring African-Americans: they can't hire too many LGBTQ African-Americans. Which, of course, can't be done without asking questions about the candidate's sexual orientation on the job application form. And that's illegal.

See, that's the problem with being a self-centered bigoted white male and crying foul while playing these stupid percentages game: no matter how you look at the numbers, white still is the dominant ethnicity in the US, at 61.3%. Kind of difficult to claim white male discrimination.

5
6
ST
Silver badge
WTF?

> LGBTQ* are extremely overrepresented in tech

Care to provide a reference in support of the above assertion?

> That's a fact

How so? Just because you made an assertion, that automatically makes it a fact?

16
2

NASA dusts off FORTRAN manual, revives 20-year-old data on Ganymede

ST
Silver badge
Devil

Re: @ST The problem probably wasn't the software...

> [ ... ] although you will have to recreate/port the old very specific libraries used to work on the data

Yeah. There's that. Porting N number of old FORTRAN libaries from DEC FORTRAN to ... Intel X86_64 I guess? How long would that take?

Then there's validation. Making sure that the numbers coming out of the VAX libraries are exactly the same as the numbers coming out of Intel. Which, at a minimum, means running the libraries' test harness both on the VAX and on Intel, and then comparing the results.

Chances are the numbers won't match 100%. IEEE rounding, flush-to-zero, denormals.

Next step: if the test harness result numbers don't match, now what? Where's the error? Do you debug on the VAX or do you debug on Intel? Probably on both if you really want to track down the error.

Some people here make it sound like it's just a matter of ftp'ing the data sets, then just a simple recompile, then everything just works. Speaking from experience: it never works that way in real life.

Have you ever seen DEC FORTRAN code from the late '80's? I have, 20 years ago. I'm still trying to unsee it.

7
0
ST
Silver badge
Boffin

Re: The problem probably wasn't the software...

> Fortran is a well defined language with widespread compiler support.

Not really. FORTRAN written in 1989 is likely a sludgy mixture of what the F77 Standard said it should be plus a collection of vendor-specific FORTRAN extensions that are unportable from one FORTRAN compiler vendor to another.

Back then, the notion of code portability between compilers wasn't on anyone's mind. Vendor-specific non-portable extensions were considered cool.

FORTRAN in all caps because that's the correct spelling of the official name of the language.

16
1

In a touching Monty Python tribute today, Microsoft's Office 365 makes everything spam

ST
Silver badge
Mushroom

Microsoft, end your pain

Sell yourself to Oracle. It's a win-win deal.

Oracle will finaly get some kind of Cloud and you won't be in the Clusterfuck Of The Day headlines anymore.

Plus, Oracle customers are used to stuff not working and bugs never being fixed.

22
0

Page:

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018