Re: Basic or Full ?
Still worlds apart. You can *completely* opt out of data collection in Ubuntu. The information collected is easily readable by a human. You cannot opt out of data collection in Windows and the information collected is not easily human readable - the screenshots of the data viewer look like something only a programmer could decipher. Hardly understandable by Grandma.
Worlds apart on what data is collected too. Ubuntu would collect this:
* Ubuntu Version
* Network connectivity or not
* CPU family
* Disk(s) size
* Screen(s) resolution
* GPU vendor and model
* OEM Manufacturer
* Location (based on the location selection made by the user at install). No IP information would be gathered
* Installation duration (time taken)
* Auto login enabled or not
* Disk layout selected
* Third party software selected or not
* Download updates during install or not
* LivePatch enabled or not
* Popcon would be installed. This will allow us to spot trends in package
usage and help us to focus on the packages which are of most value to our users.
* Apport would be configured to automatically send anonymous crash reports without user interruption.
The list of stuff Windows collects exceeds the word limit on Reg comment posts.