Re: Work longer? ... Honestly I'd rather sign up to:
I'm at that age where I am unemployed but have to work another 5 years before I collect a pension, if there is one. Ageism exists, at least where I live, but one gets by.
At the rate things are going, see latest Conservative manifesto, I would not be surprised if the solution they come up with works like this:
1) Raise retirement age to 150 years, therefore no pensions pay out until genetics catches up, which will be for well off people anyway.
2) Put old people into workhouses /privatised care homes.
3) Old people contracted to work in workhouses /privatised care homes, producing goods for tokens.
4) Tokens pay for health care and basic living necessities, like food, clothes, rent, prescriptions etc. I seem to remember someone saying prisons work like this.
5) Any excess wealth accrued over lifetime pays for health care and basic living necessities.
6) When money runs out, implement euthanasia clause in contract to prevent them becoming a burden on society
7) When too frail to work, implement euthanasia clause in contract to prevent them becoming a burden on society.
8) Sell body parts for recycling (Soylent green was people, you know) and collect whatever is left of lifetime wealth.
9) Have a great slogan outside each institution saying something like "Work sets you free"
This way old people will be able to make a contribution into their old age without being a burden on the rest of society. The will pay their own way and the demand on the NHS will be reduced. Win, Win.