* Posts by 2+2=5

825 posts • joined 21 Jan 2014

Page:

More than half of GitHub is duplicate code, researchers find

2+2=5
Silver badge
Joke

47 levels of nesting

> including nested dependencies (nesting up to 47 levels deep was discovered, with median five)

I can't decide whether that particular developer deserves an award or a kick up the bum.

I certainly wouldn't want to be taking over its maintenance.

3
0

Why Boston Dynamics' backflipping borg shouldn't scare you

2+2=5
Silver badge

You're being too picky

> Given the job of moving a package of a certain weight over these obstacles, how would you design a machine to do it?

You're being too analytical. The demonstration shows what the robot can do, not that they have developed the minimum cost solution for moving a package of a certain weight.

Consider the dog: make one miniature poodle sized and give one as a 'pet' for people with Alzheimer's. The dog can then take its owner for a walk and make sure they get back home again. Program the dog with a time limit, or a distance, or whatever, and the patient can go wherever they like but can still get home.

21
1

Tesla launches electric truck it guarantees won't break for a million miles

2+2=5
Silver badge

It's not about the range

Aaaaaarrrgrghhhh! Will you lot PLEASE stop focusing on the range. Hauliers don't buy trucks based on range they buy trucks based on lifetime cost per mile.

Yes, some are long-distance hauliers and range is important.They can continue to buy diesels.

But there are many others who have trucks that are used all day every day on multi-drop deliveries that get nowhere near the proposed range limit of the Tesla. RHA figures for 2016 gave fuel costs for a 44-tonner at 48-54 pence per mile. The cost of a battery recharge will be half that. They'll sell like hot cakes.

10
1
2+2=5
Silver badge

Re: Tesla semi?

>...and we could run them on special tracks so they could be much longer with a whole series of trailers. They would need to be more powerful for the long train of trailers. But, instead of batteries, they could take power from overhead lines.

You mean like this?

https://electrek.co/2017/08/11/electric-truck-charging-overhead-contact-charging-autobahn-germany/

4
0

Amazon Key door-entry flaw: No easy fix to stop rogue couriers burgling your place unseen

2+2=5
Silver badge

Re: What if ...

> What if I am an Amazon approved courier. And what if I have a friend who is a thief. I deliver the package but conveniently leave the door slightly ajar so that it does not lock. Some time later, my friend comes by with gloves and a mask on and robs the place while I continue to deliver packages. My face will be on another camera at another location so you know I wasn't there. And how can you prove that I made an honest mistake?

Statistics. You would get away with it once. The second and subsequent times it would be rather obvious that the robberies were following you and you would have some explaining to do. If they stopped once the authorities had made their suspicions known to you, you would have more explaining to do. That's if you still had a job with Amazon, of course.

8
4

Universal basic income is a great idea, which is also why it won't happen

2+2=5
Silver badge
Joke

Re: fast forward.

But consider 100 years in the future. Where will the UBI come from then? What will the citizens of 2117 be getting. And more importantly, what about the families that have known nothing except getting all their money from the state for as long as any of them can remember - what will they be like?

It will be just like Star Trek. No one there ever seems to worry about where their money comes from. Except the Ferengi, of course.

35
7

Crap London broadband gets the sewer treatment

2+2=5
Silver badge
Joke

Re: FTTP

Dual branding opportunity...

MumsNet => Fibre To The Potty

John Lewis => Fibre To The Porcelain

7
0

Boffins on alert: Brace yourselves for huge gravitational wave coming within a decade

2+2=5
Silver badge
Joke

Huge ripple (Mmm! chocolate)

Headline: HUGE GRAVITATIONAL WAVE

Article body: "large ripple"

Perhaps the wave's so big it's got ripples on it?

1
1

Mm, sacrilicious: Greggs advent calendar features sausage roll in a manger

2+2=5
Silver badge
Joke

Re: Christmas and Religion.

@Mage

because I'm not a 17th Century Puritan

And what's wrong with being a 17th Century Puritan, may I ask? Black goes with anything, and silver shoe buckles are totally un-necessary.

Aunt: [slaps Blackadder twice] Wicked child!!! Chairs are an invention of Satan!

In our house, Nathaniel sits on a spike!

Edmund: ...and yourself...?

Aunt: I sit on Nathaniel -- two spikes would be an extravagance.

14
0

Shiver me timbers! 67cm Playmobil pirate ship sets sail for Caribbean

2+2=5
Silver badge
Joke

> This half kilo boat of plastic has a sporting chance of being retrieved from the sea at some point

That might be true but so far it's not looking good: everyone who has retrieved it has put it back in again.

14
0

Metal 3D printing at 100 times the speed and a twentieth of the cost

2+2=5
Silver badge
Flame

Re: The joker here is that session in the furnace.

The joker, presumably, will be the trainee who forgets to include a vent hole in any voids.

"Oh look, I've just 3D printed a boiler. Oh look, it went bang and bits flew everywhere. Oh look the furnace is knackered and needs relining."

7
0

Jet packs are REAL – and inventor just broke world speed record in it

2+2=5
Silver badge
Joke

> There's a willy joke here somewhere.

Not sure about that, but he really needs to partner with an investor named Trousers for the perfect eponymously named company.

8
0

Facebook's send-us-your-nudes service is coming to UK, America

2+2=5
Silver badge
Joke

Re: How Prevalent is Nude Photography....

> Serious question - how prevalent is the taking nude pictures of oneself, or the other half ?.

I'm pretty sure the second ever Daguerreotype was a nude, the first being a test shot for the lighting.

11
0

Mythbuster seeks cash for roller skates to wear in virtual reality

2+2=5
Silver badge
Joke

Re: They way I'd do it

> Use an empty hall, court, field [...] Play the game without fear of bumping into anything

So no other players? And just one large hall per player? That shouldn't be a problem then.

> Could also be used for education

The best use for VR in education is to have the kids remain at home while the VR experience is of them appearing to be well behaved and sitting neatly at their desks.

6
1

Equifax execs sold shares before mega-hack reveal. All above board – Equifax probe

2+2=5
Silver badge
Unhappy

Re: "a day before the hack was uncovered"

> There were surely individuals looking at odd events in the three months preceding the official announcement of discovery.

Time sheets. I'm sure an SEC investigation will look at staff time sheets to see if anyone was booking to unexpected security event analysis type tasks in the 3 months between the hack and the announcement, and the reporting lines of those people.

That and the emails of course.

IMHO it stinks.

5
0

Donald, YOU'RE FIRED: Rogue Twitter worker quits, deletes President Trump's account

2+2=5
Silver badge

Re: Chirp

> It's an anachronism originally created from necessity during WWII and resurrected in times of crisis.

Pedantically, it's a Cold War anachronism: the West was the free world because the Soviet and Eastern-blocs weren't.

3
0

HPE HQ to leave Palo Alto birthplace as it 'consolidates' offices

2+2=5
Silver badge

Meh

> But HPE understands the significance of the move: founder’s Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard started the company in a Palo Alto garage. Leaving Palo Alto is therefore a big break for the company.

Bill & Dave's personal correspondence has gone up in flames, might as well burn your bridges as well.

15
1

Wheels are literally falling off the MoD thanks to lack of cash

2+2=5
Silver badge
Joke

Re: Hmm

> You would think that if a wheel is properly put on then it doesn't matter what conditions it's subject to, that at the most it will become immovably stuck in place with rust/dirt etc accumulation.

Ah, but you're confusing the civilian landrover - where what you say is perfectly true - with the 'MoD procurement spec' landrover where, no doubt, much money was spent redesigning the standard wheel into a combined wheel/Captain America shield which squaddies could whip off and hold up in front of themselves to protect against bullets, Thor's hammer and other whatnots.

14
0

Hackers abusing digital certs smuggle malware past security scanners

2+2=5
Silver badge

Great news

Malware creators may not even need to control a code-signing certificate. The Maryland Cybersecurity Centre team found that simply copying an authenticode signature from a legitimate file to a known malware sample — which results in an invalid signature — can cause antivirus products to stop detecting it.

"This flaw affects 34 antivirus products, to varying degrees,

Any chance of these chocolate teapots being named?

5
0

My #95Theses of #Digital

2+2=5
Silver badge
Go

Indulgences

Martin Luther told us that Christians could not buy or earn their way into heaven but only enter by the grace of God. That's so old fashioned: nowadays there needs to be a freemium model where you can either choose to pay or take the advertising supported route.

See my website: www.coffinadverts.com [1]

[1] I can scarcely believe that's not actually taken! [2]

[2] At the time of writing at least.

15
0

Caption this: Capita staff picket a bunch o'er pickled pensions

2+2=5
Silver badge

First photo, the logo on the right-hand flag looks a bit like...

Capita - because a winged-elephant is so much nicer than a flying pig.

5
0

Hewlett-Packard history lost to Santa Rosa fires

2+2=5
Silver badge

Re: How ironic

Me too - genuinely saddened that is, especially as a long-time fan of HP calculators. I don't program much these days, but the HP-16C still gets an outing every now and again at work.

Just to note: the archive wasn't sold -- it was included in the assets that became Agilent when HP spun-off its test and measurement business, and then again when Agilent spun off Keysight. Ironically if the archive had been sold - or gifted - to a museum, it would probably have been better stored.

33
0

BOFH: Do I smell burning toes, I mean burning toast?

2+2=5
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: !!!!!!

> You lot owe me another keyboard.... and a pot of coffee, and a new chair because I've fallen off this one laughing and several 1000 pounds to cover the lost earning because I hurt my back too

No he doesn't - you knew the risks when you started reading...

38
0

Tories spared fine after being told off by ICO for election telemarketing

2+2=5
Silver badge
Happy

Re: Ridiculous!

@Jason Bloomberg

> I always remember the spirit systems being Roneo / Banda. Gestetner being a more complicated 'tissue paper' with carbon paper and card backing

Ah yes, you're right. The Gestetner 'tissue paper' was quite entertaining because you had to type on it with the ribbon removed from the typewriter so that the hammers would perforate the paper. Fine if you were a touch-typing / copy-typing wizard, less so if you were a 'hunter-peckerer'[1] as you had to squint to see what you had typed.

[1] Homo sapiens evolved from being hunter gatherers, to hunter peckerers in the Information Age

5
0
2+2=5
Silver badge
Joke

Re: Ridiculous!

> What about hand operated duplicators?

> I think that would be okay - but no electronically scanned stencils! Strictly the old alcohol/wax systems that died after about 30 copies!

No, those were Gestetner copiers. The Tories couldn't possibly use a German (sounding) product when there is a traditional British alternative available - namely the John Bull Printing Kit

8
0

Vodafone analysed evidence in case where it was alleged victim

2+2=5
Silver badge

Re: Silly to ask Vodafone

> But how on earth could Voda have deleted mails on an image of a disc and have affected the originals in any way?

They can't. But if no one else is carrying out an independent analysis, how is anyone to know that Vodafone haven't performed the analysis correctly and withheld information?

Answer: they can't, until the accused complains in court. But by then it's too late: the accused has suffered months (years in this case) of stress and crippling legal bills.

0
0
2+2=5
Silver badge

It must be lonely up there on the moral high ground, Vodafone

Vodafone quote:

> "We strongly deny any implied allegation that Vodafone altered or tampered with any evidence: doing so would be a criminal offence."

Yes, because Vodafone would never do anything remotely resembling a criminal offence. Like not pay tax.

21
2

Have you heard the one about IoT network tech that uses SIM cards?

2+2=5
Silver badge

Re: Eh?

@ TRT & fuzzie

Thanks for your helpful responses.

1
1
2+2=5
Silver badge
WTF?

Eh?

> Hamilton said Thingstream looked more closely at USSD and realised that the protocol allows messages of "around 182 characters; that's around 160 bytes.

I'm confused. There's already a protocol that allows about 160 bytes of data to be sent to and from a phone. It's called SMS.

3
1

Please replace the sword, says owner of now-hollow stone

2+2=5
Silver badge
Joke

Campsite publicity stunt FAIL!!

Should've waited until Spring. No one is going to book a pitch over Winter. Duh.

2
0

US Congress mulls first 'hack back' revenge law. And yup, you can guess what it'll let people do

2+2=5
Silver badge
Joke

Re: erm isn't this what law enforcement is for?

> [this is not how SHEEPLE think. This is how men with BIG BALLS think.]

[Mildly NSFW]: You are Buster Gonad and I claim my £5

6
0

Storms blow away 2017 Solar Challenge field

2+2=5
Silver badge
Joke

Re: Note the "Cruiser" class is close to conventional road worthy IE crash safety and range

> Also note, most of the leaders in both categories are from countries not noted for their sun.

Well, that stands to reason: because they have so little sun they have to use solar cells that are more efficient.

1
0

FCC Commissioner blasts new TV standard as a 'household tax'

2+2=5
Silver badge

Re: Is it wrong ..

> If you're referring to the transition from analogue to Freeview, I think that was done quite well.

Some aspects were rather poor, IMHO. Starting in the North of the country meant that the (on average) poorer towns paid the expensive 'early adopter' prices for the kit. By the time the rollout reached the (on average) more affluent South, 4 years later, the kit was half the price or less.

For me personally, I'm on the Hannington transmitter but this was on 1/4 power for 4 years because of "the risk of interference to reception in Guildford". Quite why one of the richest towns in the country needed mollycoddling I'm not sure. In the end I went to Freesat because it was simpler than dicking about trying to understand whether it was my aerial or the transmitter.

0
0

Judge says US govt has 'no right to rummage' through anti-Trump protest website logs

2+2=5
Silver badge
Joke

> Curious though, what if someone posted "It they want a riot we'll give them a riot"? would that be enough to get their information?

My screen name on the site was 'pat_riot'. Am I going to be arrested or not?

5
0

Smut-watchers suckered by evil advertising

2+2=5
Silver badge
Joke

Re: Above and Beyond the Call of Duty

amanfromMars1 appears to have achieved sentience. Either that or the server is down for upgrades and this message was written by a human filling-in.

13
0

He's no good for you! Ofcom wants to give folk powers to dump subpar broadband contracts

2+2=5
Silver badge
Unhappy

Car analogy

> And for a real world analogy let's consider cars. I'll pick the Honda Jazz.

The car equivalent to web browsing is having a man wearing a foam rubber suit advertising some business that you never use, climb into the back seat as soon as you stop at the traffic lights. At the next set of lights he squeezes out and another squeezes in, preventing you from moving off until they have finished.

3
0

Boeing borgs robot aeronautics biz Aurora Flight Sciences

2+2=5
Silver badge
Coat

Pah! Easy...

> Last month Boeing offered $2m (£1.49m) in prizes to anyone who can design and build a working “personal flying device."

Personal flying device ... easy.

Personal landing device ... a bit harder.

4
0

Google touts Babel Fish-esque in-ear real-time translators. And the usual computer stuff

2+2=5
Silver badge
Joke

Musical chairs...

> Youngsters can ask a Home unit to play tunes for musical chairs

Yep, my Bluetooth speakers drop out regularly as well.

3
0

We went to Nadella's launch of Hit Refresh so you didn't have to

2+2=5
Silver badge
Joke

Re: What "would you do if you found a baby had just fallen on street?"

> Post it on Instagram

If the mother tripped and fell over, dropping her twin babies in the process, then your picture could be titled: "A Picture of the Fallen Madonna With the Big Babies"

10
0

Angst in her pants: Alleged US govt leaker Reality Winner stashed docs in her pantyhose

2+2=5
Silver badge
Holmes

Constant Fox news?

Wow. I hope to God the real analysts get a bit of peace and quite to (a) concentrate and (b) not have their subconscious biases unsubtly re-written.

All the Russians/Norks/ISIS/$other_groups_are_available have to do is influence Fox News and they're influencing the whole of the NSA.

3
1

Deloitte is a sitting duck: Key systems with RDP open, VPN and proxy 'login details leaked'

2+2=5
Silver badge
Joke

Re: Redacted Passwords

> We use password2 for the added level of security. But then, we are extraordinarily cunning.

If they were extraordinarily cunning then they would use the word 'Redacted' for the password to throw everyone off the scent. It's what I do...

3
0

Hotter than the Sun: JET – Earth’s biggest fusion reactor, in Culham

2+2=5
Silver badge
Happy

Making stars

> No extremes of heat and pressure here but pause for long enough after sunset and, if you have a clear night and look up you’ll see the real thing in action.

And if you look up before sunset on a clear day?

1
0

Welcome to the future: Bluetooth jackets you can only wash 10 times. Gee, thanks, Google

2+2=5
Silver badge
Joke

Re: I thought I'd heard it all...

> [...] Project Jacquard, Google's connected textile platform.

It's a looming disaster.

18
0

If you need to replace anything other than your iPhone 8's battery or display, good luck

2+2=5
Silver badge

> have sent one guy's iPhone off for repair for broken screens no less than 7 times

Give him a Doro big button mobile as a 'temporary' replacement and wait a few weeks before sending the iPhone off for repair. Might teach him to stop being so clumsy.

27
0

You forgot that you hired me and now you're saying it's my fault?

2+2=5
Silver badge

Meeting rooms

At one previous employer, the end of the open plan office was glazed off and new meeting rooms created.

Staff inclusivity in this momentous event extended to being invited to take part in a competition to name the new rooms. My team's suggestion of "The Fully Booked Room" for one of them wasn't taken up for some strange reason.

Me: "I'd like to book The Fully Booked Room please"

Receptionist: "I'm sorry, but The Fully Booked Room is fully booked..."

Ah the hilarity.

16
0

Trello boards the desktop with Mac and Windows apps

2+2=5
Silver badge
Joke

Trellotopia

> Trellotopia? Yep, someone got paid to write that.

Yeah, but only in the sense that they won a bet...

2
0

Chirpy, chirpy, cheap, cheap: Printable IoT radios for 10 cents each

2+2=5
Silver badge

Re: Official reg units please

Cricket pitches are tricky because they're variable in dimension. Only minima are specified by the Laws. I mean, which pitch do you use as the standard-bearer? Lord's? MCG? If we use a ballpark figure, say 1 1/4 ha, then about 1/3 of the pitch, though since these coverage areas are circular, you'll probably need four to properly cover the pitch.

If you're going to use a ballpark figure then there is only one to use: the original Yankee Stadium

3
0

Homeland Security drops the hammer on Kaspersky Lab with preemptive ban

2+2=5
Silver badge
Happy

Re: Quite the planning process, this

> Is it really that difficult?

Hmmm, let's see....

90 days to remove Kaspersky ... no problem.

It's now September. Departmental budgets for the next financial year are just about being submitted now. So, choose a project to sacrifice (unless the DHS are offering new money - I thought not); move the 'New Anti-Virus' project to the front of the queue; assume approval is a no-brainer, in which case the project will be ready to roll come April, at the start of the new financial year. I confidently expect the replacement AV to be rolled-out and working by 1st August 2018.

;-)

13
0

Another reason to hate Excel: its Macros can help pivot attacks

2+2=5
Silver badge

Re: Waddyamean 'Another reason to hate'?

> But Excel itself does it's job.

It would be better if there were a (truly seamless) mode which embraced named ranges fully and disallowed cell ranges. That would make debugging a lot simpler. And the sheet need no longer be a single, rectangular sheet -- just a series of ranges.

Also a macro language that allows procedural code (whether basic based or something else) that only works within Excel - no access to the PC or Windows at all. There are plenty of simple automation tasks that don't really require full-blown VBA and the associated security permissions hassles that accompany it.

0
0
2+2=5
Silver badge

Re: Waddyamean 'Another reason to hate'?

> Try and separate those kind of tasks out for the whole project and it turns into a monster. There should be a way to have a task that has 'x hours' of effort, but has 'x weeks' of duration.

I just add an "await delivery" task following 'place order'. If you've inherited someone else's plan then sometimes it is easier to split a task into a rollup and have 'place order' and 'await delivery' in the rollup so that existing dependencies aren't lost.

1
0

Page:

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017