Why XP Succeeded Over Vista
XP has probably been Microsoft's most successful OS. Here are the main reasons:
1. XP (NT5.1) was basically Windows 2000 (NT5.0) with a gaudy Teletubbies user interface with a few minor enhancements.
2. Windows 2000 was released in February 2000 and XP in October 2001. This gave software and hardware developers time to build on a stable operating system.
3. XP had been out for just over 5 years before Vista, giving XP a large user base who were quite happy with it.
4. Windows Vista (NT6.0) is a whole new OS with all the software and hardware problems associated with it.
5. People who already have XP wont want to "upgrade to Vista" because their hardware which could be as much as 5 years old just wont run it (don't believe the Microsoft hardware specs for Vista they are BS and even they know it!)
Overall anyone who has XP will probably be happy with it. Anyone who has bought a PC with Vista on it in the last year or so may be happy or frustrated with it. Its certainly a work in progress. Maybe the finished work will be called Windows 7!