* Posts by smot

31 posts • joined 19 Mar 2012

Oh snap! UK Prime Minister Theresa May calls June election

smot

Re: @ wolfetone

"Just as 50% of schools will be below average no matter what we do".

I accept your sentiment, but the statement is incorrect. If I have 4 gifts priced at £1, £9, £9 and £9, 75% are below (cost more than) the average of £7, while 25% are (is) above. Conversely, if they are £1, £1, £1 and £9, 75% are above (cost less than) the average of £3, while only 25% below.

As always, it depends what you are measuring and how it is being reported. There will, however, always be at least one school below some specified average - unless all are equal.

0
2

Ubuntu UNITY is GNOME-MORE: 'One Linux' dream of phone, slab, desktop UI axed

smot

@oneguycoding Thought I was alone in this echoing chamber of anti-Gnome3 sentiment.

For me, Gnome 3 sets the standard for all desktops - Mac, Windows and backwards-harking things like Cinnamon and Mate (Ok, I'll let Mate past as it's useful for stuff with old CPUs and teeny RAM).

Even in its first incarnation it was refreshingly new, with a clean intuitive interface. Now, it's even better. But if you like squillions of icons, folders and files slapped all over your hi-res desktop, it's not the interface for you. If, however, you want something that doesn't get in your way, or impose itself on your work, it's spot on.

I'm sitting waiting for the ready stream of downvotes, but I'll win.....

0
2

Munich may dump Linux for Windows

smot

Re: Adam 52

"Dedicated currency keys that I (would very much like to but still can't) use right there on my laptop next to the arrow keys - do they work in Linux?"

Um... yes. You said so yourself: "There is some help scattered around on how to chase the codes through several OS layers and get them correctly mapped under X".

The point is that the Munich IT team produced their own distro which means the end user doesn't need to be concerned with any such configuration - it's a standard in-house release specifically set to their corporate requirements. All necessary software and privileges can be pre-installed. Once set up, a simple "dd" to install to a new PC is all it takes.

6
0

SQL Server on Linux: Runs well in spite of internal quirks. Why?

smot

Re: stored procedures are not enabled,

It's a SQL database. Use it for its intended purpose - SQL. Stored procedures are not - they're the spawn of the devil.

2
9

Ghost of DEC Alpha is why Windows is rubbish at file compression

smot

Re: Obvious bull

"I mean why does Windows Explorer take 30 minutes to unzip a file that 7Zip can manage in 30 seconds??"

And why does it unzip first into a temp folder then copy into the destination? What's wrong with putting it straight into the target? Saves space and time and avoids yet more crud in the temp folder.

0
0

Microsoft: We're hiking UK cloud prices 22%. Stop whining – it's the Brexit

smot

"Specifically, how the 52% would respond to it."

Specifically, how the 37.4% would respond to it.

FTFY.

3
0
smot

"We had a split vote, and we now have a split society when at this time, we should be rallying around each other more than ever."

We're split because those that didn't vote to leave (62.6% of electorate) are watching as those few that did vote to leave cause havoc on our society.

I have cut off contact with some of my relatives who voted almost exclusively on the basis of "immigrants out". One even tweeted that he'd decided to vote "leave" because the Eurovision Song Contest always ignores the UK. That's how intellectual their argument was. Oh - did you know that "they" are going to build a mosque that's larger than St. Paul's in the East End?

Utter f*ckwits. And you expect me to rally together with people like this??

5
1
smot

Re: £

"My money's on the pound in the long run."

And I predict there will be a man on Mars in the long run.

The damage to the economy from a long-running decline in sterling and leaving the EU will, in the meantime, be extensive and costly.

If you voted for it, enjoy the increasing cost of living you selected.

If you didn't - like 62.6% of the electorate - weep.

3
1
smot

Re: Work the problem?

"Waiting for the 'community' to build something that exactly matches their requirements is never going to happen".

Funnily enough, all my company's specialist software is written for Windows, yet runs quite happily on the Linux desktop. Firebird replaces MS SQL Server for the database, but even this may not be necessary if MS releases the Linux version in 2017 as proposed.

So no need to wait in many cases unless the software uses specific Windows hardware drivers.

0
0

Four reasons Pixel turns flagship Android mobe makers into roadkill

smot

Re: This....

Hey, "fluffy_bunny2.6"? I'm still using "fluffy_bunny2.5". What improvements are they? Is it worth upgrading?

0
0

Official: Windows 10 has hit the 400 million device mark

smot

> online habbits

Avatars of hobbits?

1
0
smot

Re: Well, mine's no longer in there.

Ubuntu Gnome + VB here. Win 10 happily confined to a VDI file.

3
0
smot

Re: Ads

> Only in Skype I think?

No - I get regular "notifications" asking me to try Office 365 for 30 days for free". Are these really notifications? I think not.

The start menu is littered with soft ads - Candy Crush, MS Solitaire Pack, and a few other doorways which lead to items for sale.

One may argue that I got Win10 for free, so MS are entitled to push ads. However the price of the laptop (or desktop etc) included the MS licence, and so is not really free at all.

If it were just ads - offered in a small quiet corner of the OS - I might, just might, go with it. But it's the data gathering that accompanies it that really bothers me, so I use Win10 as little as possible, and certainly avoid Cortana.

On a positive note, whilst I still prefer Win7, Win10 is miles better than Vista and 8.x.

I mostly use Linux OSs these days, but need the odd (virtualised) MS device for apps that only work that way. If it weren't for my work, these VMs would go too.

3
0

Ad-blocking ‘plateaus’, claims hopeful ad industry

smot

Re: the production of decent content costs money

And how many people can still "wonder where the yellow went"?

0
0

Free Windows 10 upgrade: Time is running out – should you do it?

smot

Re: Windows8.2=10 is a fraud and a scam!

> You don't buy new pots and pans just because you replaced the stove...

We had to - our new stove is an induction hob, and most of our old pots and pans were non-magnetic.

Just sayin'

22
4

Parliament takes axe to 2nd EU referendum petition

smot

Re: Of course the original referendum is only "advisory" it is not legally backed.

Of course, a majority DIDN'T vote "out" - only 37.5% voted "out". Conversely, only 34.7% voted "Remain". The correct statement is that 51.9%, OF THOSE WHO VOTED, voted to leave the EU.

A more correct strategy for referenda is to count the non-voters in some agreed way. Typically, they may represent "status quo", or other proportion. This would then be used to set a benchmark point at which the result carries validity. It may be that the valid pass mark was then 60% or 65% in either direction as seen appropriate.

Nigel Farage tried to make this point in a rather cack-handed way by suggesting that if the outcome was close, "say less than 5%", that a second referendum should be held. Clearly he's gone quiet on that now as he has the result he wanted.

But parliament can still make a suitable judgment on whether they agree that 37.5% does indeed represent the "majority" view and choose to accept or ignore the result.

2
7

Linux Mint hacked: Malware-infected ISOs linked from official site

smot

Re: In your dreams.

"Primary school - good place for it.."

Indeed - it's easy to use, and easy on the school budget. Loads of educational software, and a decent UK support infrastructure.

Glad you pointed it out.

33
1

Caption this: WIN a 6TB Western Digital Black hard drive with El Reg

smot

Winston thought that the new mobile Big Brother was possibly a tad more noticeable than the home edition.

0
0

Microsoft tool-crafter Idera buys database, app firm Embarcadero

smot

Re: Show's Delphi's worth!

@alcalde You make some good points and then spoil it with the Dawkins Effect - taking a good argument and extrapolating it into areas in which you have either no evidence or no knowledge.

I've worked in the Delphi arena for 18 years, previously with many other languages from assembler through Cobol, Coral 66, C and C++. Today, Delphi is one of the main tools I use, along with some PHP and Javascript, and still some C++ and C#. Of all the Delphi developers I've known or met in those 18 years, only one has been exclusively Delphi. I've no idea what circles you move in, but to suggest that the majority of Delphi developers have never used a different language is either naive, or taken from a limited personal view. Even if we combine our two personal views, it suggests that at least 50% of Delphi developers have worked in multiple languages (and there are many flaws in that logic too).

I also suspect that you have absolutely no knowledge of whether Facebook, Google et al use Delphi and are simply adding this in to support your argument. Unless of course you've worked for both of them so can vouch for this. Now, I'm quite prepared to believe that they don't use Delphi, but I certainly have no knowledge as fact. It was reported some time ago that MS do indeed have some in-house Delphi stuff in use, whether ingested from an external source or created inhouse. This doesn't surprise me at all - both companies were in the market of supplying development tools.

Similarly, I believe you have little knowledge of the current real-world use of Delphi in mainstream industries. From personal experience, and with evidence, I can tell you that 85% of all commercial radio stations in the UK and Ireland are being run with some currently developed and supported Delphi systems. Without them, there would be no advertisements on radio (I'll let you pick that one up....). One of the largest insurance companies uses Delphi for its endowment policy management system. And I've bumped into Delphi in use in some quite surprising areas during my many years of working in radio, manufacturing and hospital systems.

But your basic message - that Delphi is less popular that Python - is, IMV, sound. So don't spoil a good message for a ha'porth of tar - just focus on the key message and leave out the Dawkins Effect as you're much more likely to avoid the inevitable backlash. Unless that's what you were trying to garner?

0
0

Devious Davros, tricksy Missy and Dalek Clara delight in The Witch's Familiar

smot

Loved the line "We had to hunt around to find another chair" - genius!

10
0

We put Windows 10 on a small fondleslab: STILL not ready, 3 days to go

smot

Re: From one mistake to another...

@LawAbidingCitizen: Both Dell and HP will sell you a lappie without Windows preinstalled (I'm using just such a beast - an XPS13). Intel will sell you a NUC without Windows, and several PC builders (e.g. PC Specialist) will build you something to your own specification without Windows.

You don't save a great deal of dosh, but you do get some smug satisfaction.

3
0

We tried using Windows 10 for real work and ... oh, the horror

smot

tl;dr

Meh.

0
12

Apple MacBook 2015: Twelve inches of slim and shiny fanboi joy

smot

Re: Overpriced, underpowered, underconnected, and with a soon peeling display

And a replaceable battery... which runs for longer...

My own XPS13 is i7, 512, 3200x1800 touch display.

And with Ubuntu Gnome loaded improves substantially over the rather clunky OSX look 'n' feel.

You did mention lots of ports, didn't you?

This new Mac 2015 really doesn't add anything new to get excited about. Unless, of course, you're locked into their world.

0
0

El Reg Redesign - leave your comment here.

smot

Where's the "Most Commented"?

Shirley this would top the list?

Me, I like a good scrap, so I always take a peek at the "Most Commented" section. But it's gone!

Along with that handy carousel of top news tips.

Shame on you.

5
0

Gnome Foundation runs out of cash

smot

Re: GNOME == Red Hat?

I'll join you in that unpopular vote. Gnome 3 (.8 and later) is really very good indeed. I don't relate to the opinion that it is unproductive - I've not found anything that I'm unable to do. The things I do I find easier and quicker with Gnome 3 over Gnome 2 and its -alikes.

Don't get me wrong - I liked Gnome 2. But the ability to fly my mouse up to the top left corner and select a favourite app is all done in one move & click. No more running up & down nested menus. Bliss.

And if the app is not in my favourites list, move mouse to top left, type one or two letters of the partial app name and it pops up in the suggested list. I can't remember when I last had to scroll through the installed app list to find something. Well, I can actually. It was using Gnome 2 or Cinnamon.

For me, a return to the old menu style would be a distinctly retrograde step.

0
2

Windows 8.1 Update: Throws desktop drones a bone but still as TOUCHY as ever

smot

Re: Windows 8 was built for one reason only

"I assume you can install ubuntu & replace unity with something that isn't crap though? Or have they stopped all that sensible nonsense?"

I use Ubuntu Gnome for all my dev work, with Win 7 in a VM when I need to use Win-specific stuff. I rejected Unity after struggling with the global menus and the annoying launcher which needs to be scrolled far too often. Some of these issues have been resolved, and Unity is starting to look a bit better.

But it won't take me away from Gnome Shell yet - this is the desktop for people who don't like clutter. If you're someone who likes a raft of icons, folders and docs liberally scattered over the desktop, choose Cinnamon or KDE. If, like me, you prefer a clean desktop, go Gnome Shell. Whichever you try, give it some time before you give in - these desktops are not like Windows or Mac even if superficially they resemble them. And the beauty is, you CAN change!

4
1

Bugger the jetpack, where's my 21st-century Psion?

smot

Re: Data entry on the Psion Organiser

> some of those Organisers are still in active use.

Mine is still in everyday use, but really only as an alarm clock. The PP3 battery lasts around 6 months when used this way.

It still has all my old contacts, some long deceased, with old pre-01 phone numbers. The 16k datapaks are both full, and I no longer have a UV eraser to wipe them.

But it works reliably, and all the keys are still fully legible, Never crashes, it just works.

Psion had probably the best OS of all in the Organiser range - they lost the plot when it was Nokia'd.

0
0

HTC: Shipping Android updates is harder than you think – here's why

smot

Re: blame linux?

> I had hoped a decade ago this problem would of been solved

<pedant>

s/would of/would have/

</pedant>

1
0

Samsung Mega 6.3: Enter the PHONDLESLAB

smot

Hey, I'll brush the dust off my Dell Streak now this size is becoming fashionable!

0
0

Samsung fails to stall Galaxy Nexus sales ban

smot

Psion Organisers (for one) included this feature right from the outset - searching across the various stored files of differing types. I can't remember exactly when they were launched, but it sure predates 2004.

7
0

So, what IS the worst film ever made?

smot

Unbreakable

An M Night Shamalamadingdong disaster. I wasted 106 minutes of my life waiting for the most blindingly obvious non-twist under the sun. As with Matrix 2, this film has destroyed my view of "The Sixth Sense"...

0
0

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017