* Posts by LOL123

151 posts • joined 26 Aug 2010

Page:

Having AI assistants ruling our future lives? That's so sad. Alexa play Despacito

LOL123

Re: F@$% the creapy stalker tech

ermm all your examples are cases of things being replaced by more efficient technology and so is cheaper.. Everything has something good and bad about it, and older tech being more expensive than newer more efficient tech - the efficiency is correctly being costed..

That's exactly as it ought to be. I don't expect snail mail to be cheaper.

Do not confuse having choices across multiple vendors for new technology with not adopting new technology at all. That is a valid problem Alexa might be creating - the only voice assistant tech.

Huawei’s elusive Mr Ren: We’re just a 'sesame seed' in a superpower spat

LOL123

Re: Luddites = Non Sequitur

>> Have we actually seen *any* evidence of wrongdoing by Huawei

You miss the point that Huawei the company is happy to stick to "soft" responses via press releases and chinese government commentary.

I think Huawei could have had an independent third party audit done but they haven't done that.

There is more to this I think. I'd imagine a company with nothing to hide as claimed would be open about proving it. They would have done things to prove their independence from the chinese government and their device security and close the matter. This is usually the response when your brand is affected by "fake news".

There is significant revenue here that any normal company usually takes concrete actions to protect.

They aren't doing anything concrete to close the matter. Which begs the question - why not?

This must be some kind of mistake. IT managers axed, CEO and others' wallets lightened in patient hack aftermath

LOL123

Re: What about auto-updates?

Even if a top politician was involved, it just needed someone to get fired.. it didn't have to be management, scapegoats have always sufficed.. It's like the Gatwick drone thing, it just needs to be shown that action has been taken.

The difference here is that the right action has been taken; The commendation is gratuitous too, but has happened so this cannot be just because a politician was the target..

I cannot say if it is cultural or they have some other checks to ensure such investigative outcomes. It is a worthwhile case study.

Peak Apple: This time it's SERIOUS, Tim

LOL123

Re: Too late

To be fair, what they will release is keeping the rest of the market on top. Things come with the good and bad, so yeah no headphone jack. But touch devices, generous data plans, music services, tablets, you have to give it to them. I doubt graphics cores and cpus from competitors would have improved without the threat of the next Apple release. They could have released CPU and GPU with only marginal benchmark improvements. (I do wish other companies would follow them on their device lifespans.)

PS: I also think this is normal of *all* companies - the customer talks and if they are willing to pay for just the brand, the company should charge for it. Why not? Of the companies out there, given what apple have done for their device lifespan, I think they are actually the least greedy (in a relative sense). I don't think the points about build quality have merit.

Customers are now walking away so now that the brand has been milked I'd expect the products to start improving.

I don;t want Apple to go, their halo effect is the key driver for other manufacturers to create replica devices at lower prices - which is what I want to buy..

Attention all British .eu owners: Buy dotcom domains and prepare to sue, says UK govt

LOL123

Re: Wow, it's almost...

Your representatives are capable of undemocratic actions and decisions.

Your logic is very faulty.

LOL123

Re: Wow, it's almost...

Hmm are referendums democratic?

Democracy is about representative government.

Referendums arguably move the decision making away from representatives to people.

A representative (assuming they were voted in for qualities of leadership) would be arguably making decisions that are unlikely to be assuaged by knee jerk fear, lies and would be in a better position to balance the pros and cons out.

A referendum perhaps makes sense to change how the representative government itself is chosen - I get the first past the post vote being a referendum.

This I do not get. For something that is so complex in how it affects so many areas in direct and indirect ways, how can the question be posed to the general public?

What is populist is not always the right or correct thing - there is a difference between the two.

Would you have the decision for your medical treatment put out to a referendum? No you would at best put out the choice of the doctor to a referendum.

LOL123

Re: Wow, it's almost...

>> shunning anti-democratic institutions

But it isn't - you have a eu parliament with MEPs voted for by the electorate.

What is actually your argument (that is being conflated with "anti-democratic" is that the UK/UK MEP wish does not always pan out at the european level - because it is representative.

How is this different from say your UK MP that you voted for putting out a bill that does not see through the UK parliament? Or your MP asking for additional local council funds that are ignored?

Or for eg Scotland or London now having to leave the EU too? They didn;t vote for it and now their "sovereignty" is being stolen by the north.

By your argument a loss of "soverenity" is happening right now on the British Isles?

Irony?

Equifax how-it-was-mega-hacked damning dossier lands, in all of its infuriating glory

LOL123

Re: "Such a breach was entirely preventable"

Again confusing economic models with corruption, politics and fair democracies.

America is I think among the worst here, where you can legally bribe and influence an election under the term lobbying.

A pile of turd by any other name still stinks.

Boom! Just like that the eSIM market emerges – and jolly useful it is too

LOL123

Re: pick a side

Because SW uses the fricking thing in both cases. The physical version is still a store of a borrowed set of keys, the SIM isn’t making phone calls the modem does.

If a phone is eSIM carrier locked, it can be physical SIM carrier locked the same way.

If malware hacked a phone to block eSIMs, it can block physical SIM interaction just the same.

If you plug in the physical SIM on another phone, you can remote provision another phone with the eSIM.

The eSIM implementation like TPM or encryption is not pure SW and involves a secure element.

So no I still don’t get the comments about security being better with physical SIMs.

I don’t get the point about “carrier issues new series”. The keys are carrier verified, otherwise the dialling number would keep working even if bills weren’t paid. Your SIM card is directly not linked to your dialling number, it gives the IMSI that your carrier makes your dialling number.

That is why number porting happens without the SIM changing.

Please give a example of an eSIM specific subterfuge that cannot be done with a physical SIM.

Either this pure paranoia conceived from the letter “e” or there is a genuine example available that actually understands how SIMs (e and physical) work.

Now Europe wants a four-million-quid AI-powered lie detector at border checkpoints

LOL123

Re: £4m doesn't go far

It might be just an integration project too:

https://www.iborderctrl.eu/Related-Projects

anyway the point being commenters(commentards?) here are leaping to this being the total spend on a production system.

Epistemic arrogance?

LOL123

Re: £4m doesn't go far

What makes you think this is for an actual system and not just for a proposal or feasiblity study?

£4 million will go a long way to get a concept proposal out i.e. paperware.

https://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/202703_en.html

look at the cost splits - this is not for a production system, the headline is click and commetard bait.

https://www.iborderctrl.eu/Publications

What has been done with the money this far.

People here are leaping to the assumption that the £4m is for a working field ready system.

Core blimey! Apple macOS update lifts boot from MacBook Pro neck

LOL123

Re: "those defaults are unsuitable for MBP laptops."

>> You got this completely wrong. People (including the blogger reporting the problem originally) have re-run their tests with the software fix.

>> It is definitely a bug going below base clock for sustained loads, it is not a bug that it does not stay at turbo for sustained loads.

So they fixed the bug. And the blogger gets my point.

Go to redditt or the comment I replied to above, who complain that the issue is that the cooling system and power regulation is not up to scratch. Because it isn't *staying* at the turbo clock that they paid for.

LOL123
Joke

Re: This does seem interesting...

whatever your youtube channel can get

LOL123

"Using spftware to cover hardware gaps is a cludge."

Why is it a cludge? It lowers costs, gives better bang for you buck, is flexible and is a non-critical application.

Meltdown, spectre, this all were mitigated because HW is now more SW programmable. Saved some landfill too.

>>design, develop specs,, add a safety buffer, meet specs

A spec does not maketh a perfect design.

LOL123

Re: "those defaults are unsuitable for MBP laptops."

A lot of people are confusing base clock and turbo clock with the maximum performance. The *base clock* is what the processor TDP is rated for. The max turbo boost clock cannot be used for sustained load - it would need the same additional cooling as an overclocked processor (i.e. running outside of manufacturer spec).

ALL processors with an unlocked multiplier *will* hit a point where it overheats for a normal cooling system. The design makes sure that the cooling system meets the tdp rating, not an arbritrary number.

It's like complaining that notebooks haven't got liquid nitrogen coolers.

It is definitely a bug going below base clock for sustained loads, it is not a bug that it does not stay at turbo for sustained loads. This is explicitly enabled by Intel with their cTDP feature amongst other things. Read the data sheet. That is why it is marketed by Intel as Turbo "Boost" i.e. temporary.

Also both the mobile i7 and i9 have the *same* TDP. So *Intel* (and not Apple/Dell etc) assures the system integrator that the same cooling/power system is enough.

I'm no Apple fan, but it makes no sense to have a reality distortion field that irrationally amplifies their negatives just because it's Apple. That's just as bad.

BT's Patterson keeps his £1.3m wheelbarrow of bonus cash after all

LOL123

Re: try further out then...

Uber is subsidised pricing and potentially predatory..

So it is expected to be close to other less convenient transport options, and lower than the equivalent or better options.

LOL123

>>The average wage in Poland is still 1/3 of that of the UK

But that could also mean that UK wages are too high? Or somewhere in between i.e. Poland needs wages to go up but UK needs wages to go down.

When is a wage unsustainably high? Or is no wage too high?

It's the thing I don't understand about wage discussions for unskilled and skilled labour, which gets conflated with the differences in wages between the "rich" and poor. I define poor here as someone who can't make ends meet with their wages or no disposable income after the basics, with the rich being really everyone else with a disposable income after the basics. "Basics" are cultural and subjective.

Minimum wages are needed, but those are really for the unskilled. A bump in minimum wages will bump up the average cost of living.

Which now makes that revised minimum wage less of a living wage. Which then means the wages need to go up again. It's a loop. You'd never reach the point ever where the wage is "fair".

You'd need to keep increasing this, but that cannot be sustainable.

Meanwhile, the other key factor, uplifting the skills of the labour force is ignored, which really is the crux of the problem.

Whether a free market/capitalist/socialist, if you want to talk about the human elements in an economy what really matters is what skills are given value, and whether the policies created are sustainable. The other alternative is to have an economy that secure incredibly valuable resources of the time (oil, technology, etc) to support the unskilled labour force and wages rises. This latter thing is not an option for most countries today if we are interested in peace.

So the capitalist vs socialist discussion I find flawed because neither secure upskilling of the resource pool of the economy - whether human or material. The discussions mostly is about which is better at kicking the ball down the road - not about solving anything.

India tells WhatsApp to add filters, ASAP

LOL123

Re: I seriously disagree with you

BTW, "Education is the answer" is almost always quoted by those who consider themselves "educated" (a set of learnings that came from their run of "education" and subsequent life experiences) and prescribe it to those they consider less so. These "lesser" folk very likely have a wealth of knowledge in other areas, just not what the prescriber considers useful and pertinent.

Which means someone wiser that the prescriber (a different set of learnings that came from their run of "education" and subsequent life experiences) will be saying the same thing , this person isn't educated enough - when the contexual situation changes and the prescriber behaves irrationally.

Which mean everyone will always needs an "education". Which means no one is in this perfect state of "educated".

I agree learn as much, build as many base skills as possible. But that makes it a necessary condition, not a sufficient one, as is alluded here with "education is THE answer".

LOL123

Re: I seriously disagree with you

Again with "the" answer. Education is but a tool. One at that. It is not the same as learning. It is blinding to the thought process to treat education as a panacea, "the answer".

You compare with reading and writing - there is no subjectivity of the individual here - it is a rote action once learned. Critical thinking isn't, to compare it would be the equivalent of education creating shakespearean grade writers out of everyone or every literate being able to figure out an encrypted piece of text - they could "read" it, but not all will understand it. Some might. Application of skills cannot be prescriptive, thus a free, critical thinker cannot be prescriptively created.

So an education - time bound and thus requiring a select set of experiences in that time, has never shown to create this absolute state of the critical thinker - objective, balanced unbiased and rational - in any and all areas, topics, situations; known and unknown. You can at best instil some base skills and hope life experiences improve things.

That still means the post "educated" population will not approach all situations rationally. One might have had a travel experience that makes them understand better than another who didn't. That is the learning it continues after your "education", a structured phase.

Don't confuse government incompetence with some "blind obedience" conspiracy. The outcome of "the Education" described by you exists no where and never has. It is an utopian ideal, time is finite.

Meanwhile you need a solution or even a workaround for the real world until you get there.

LOL123

the panacea that is "Education"

To those proposing education as the answer - an "educated" person is a relative term - there are things that one knows and understands and things that one does not know or understand.

The corollary of this is that everyone therefore will have an issue where their response is not going to be rational - because the unknown creates fear.

This irrational response is now happening everywhere in the world in various contexts.

Without question this is being accelerated and catalysed by the new social media platforms - it has never been as cheap and anonymous to spread falsehoods in mankind's history.

So this isn't about India, the 3rd world and so - these are all straw man responses. There is a problem here and it is happening everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwQqOdfc7pw

I see a satellite of a man ... Galileo, Galileo, Galileo, Galileo, that's now 4 sats fit to go

LOL123

I don't get it.. Why do people think former colonies even want to trade with the UK, over the EU, US, China? The UK is simply too small. It does not have its own access to those desirable markets anymore and does not make anything of global and infungible value.

That India will sign an exclusive trade agreement, better than what it offers the EU, for what exactly? What are people smoking?

I'll need that to survive Brexit.

Chief EU negotiator tells UK to let souped-up data adequacy dream die

LOL123

Re: What about auto-updates?

>> It's a game, the politicians are the players & we're the game tokens...

Like I said the UK cannot get a special position (vs the member states and all other WTO nations) that you allude to as the outcome of "negotiations". This "negotiation" and "posturing" is a pretense of the UK government for the British electorate's entertainment.

You seem to believe a genuine negotiation is happening. The fat chips are on the EU side, and the UK has a bad hand as well.. To top that the UK chips are not worth very much on the Brexit negotiation table so even a bluff from the UK is worthless.

I think the game the UK politicians played is actually over with and the dirty ones won - when Gove, Farage, Johnson and such played with the British electorate. It's one thing to spew differing opinions and arguments, it's quite another to willfully mislead and undeniably the lot literally lied to get to their end.

They've sweeped the table of the worthwhile chips now, none are committed to UK anymore and they're all past the peak of their political careers. None of these Brexiter politicians have anything to lose, and are well heeled in the EU and the US.

Corbyn just goes wherever the wind and the gutters take things..

LOL123

Re: What about auto-updates?

I'm a bit amazed and worried about how people don't seem to understand the role of regulators or even how governments work.

Michael Barnier was appointed by elected EU ministers - all 27 of them agreed.

Do they expect every single decision maker in government to be a directly elected person and therefore a politician? Are they expecting every single position in government to be voted for by the electorate?

This is ridiculous.

I don't understand why these leavers expect the EU to show, what they put in so many words, is actually nothing more than charity. It makes no sense to disadvantage the whole EU bloc for this one country called UK. What on earth does the UK offer that would want them to offer this special treatment to the UK to the detriment of all the other 27 member states and to the dissatisfaction of all other countries outside of the EU (US, Canada, Australia).

Even if you argue as a leaver that the UK is leaving the EU for such "uncharitable" behaviours of the unelected EU, you cannot in another breath expect charity. The argument given here by the leavers come from an emotional thought process, not a rational one.

You can blame the EU how much you want, but at the end of the day the incompetence of the UK in handling this process cannot be ignored. It is solely on the UK to own the problem they chose to face. It is for the UK to solve this, not to whine about not getting their bidding.

If this is the best that can come out of the phase that the politicians actually are supposed to good at, the talking and the deal making, then I fear for the phase after brexit, where the talking isn't going to do anything.

Thus far it would seem that British politicians are only successful at fooling British people - Farage, Johnson, Corbyn...

Facebook CEO snubs UK parliament, but attends US congress and the EU parliament - a prelude to where the UK actually stands. Actions speaking louder than words and all that.

Here's to one of Farage's speeches from a Trump retirement golf village in Spain easing the post brexit hurt and pain until the UK starts selling to.. somebody else (TBD)...

LOL123

Re: Well, duh

>> I wish I could up-vote this more...

Totally.. it so succinctly summarises the brexiter's arrogance and double standards.

Yay, you've won your Fitbit lawsuit, folks. But, lawyers, about those filet mignon expenses...

LOL123

Re: LOL123

@Michael Habel

Ah yes another one - where every debate or discussion reduces to the good/bad left and/or good/bad right rant.

"It's so obvious FFS you stupid lefties!!!" "How dumb can these right-wing morons get!!"

I think you need to use that bit between your ears more.

This isn't worth anymore of my time - you're offering nothing more than a vapid rant.

“Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies." - Friedrich Nietzsche

LOL123

Re: 'Plenty of notices'

This seemed very unreasonable and ripe for abuse, but reading through it, it would appear the other side of it is "Leges instituuntur cum promulgantur" - Laws are instituted when they are promulgated.

So in the context of "Ignorance of the Law is no excuse/not a legal Defence", the existence of a bill in itself does not make it a law, it has to be shown that it has been promulgated as well.

So the next time someone quotes this, I know there is a defence. It isn't an edict in itself.

LOL123

Re: 'Plenty of notices'

>> Ignorance of the Law, is no excuse.

People keep quoting this as a fact. But really? It's one of those opinions masquerading as fact.

Are individuals supposed to go through parliament/senate/congress meeting notes every day and figure out all the nuances of what has changed in the law? What has been repealed? What has been amended?

"You didn't know that coughing in public is a death sentence now?? Tough. This law might be unreasonable, you can fight to change it, but until then the law is the law! Ignorance of the law is not excuse. Happy hanging!"

And it isn't an excuse, it is a fact. Ignorance of the law exists, I for one certainly cannot claim I know all and every bit of it. Can you?

The term "excuse" is also chosen to give it a pejorative flavour - it could have been "ignorance of the law is no defence" but no, shame up coz I'm better than you ignorant person...

And what about innocent until guilty? Her statement is very likely true, that it is in an apple of US origin. Therefore she was not importing it.

America has really fucked up - the very values apparently being protected in all those wars and missions are being trampled upon on their own soil.

The terrorists might not have won the battle on backward values, but they seem to have won the war. :(

Ultimately fairness has failed here. So you know what? Quoting "ignorance of the law is not an excuse" is not a valid excuse for failing to serve justice.

Broadcom moves to the US: CFIUS-inspired redomiciling makes for happy voters

LOL123

>>All it means is the company become liable to US tax

No that is an naive view - it means the company becomes liable to US law.

It brings the company under US jurisdiction legally and that matters.

What passes off as OK in Singapore won't be anymore. Taxation is just one of the areas affected.

Taxation just happens to be the one with publicity today but is really an issue with tax legislation.

Credit where due. Trump certainly understands the ramifications of this far better with his various companies.

Openreach ups investment plans: Will shoot out full fibre to 3 million premises

LOL123

Re: History of fibre optics.

>> That drop in intensity is worse than starting with the mass of the whole universe and ending up with one atom.

Hmm, this I think is a hyperbole..

Here come the lawyers! Intel slapped with three Meltdown bug lawsuits

LOL123

Re: MINIX anyone ?

If the NSA is involved, a FISA court will dismiss this in a heartbeat.

LOL123

Re: What didn't I know and when didn't I know it?

Those are strong words - should, must, etc

A paper stating "it must be secure" has little value. Any more than one saying "steps must be taken to ensure world peace."

It has to be paper that is practical, specific to the issue and peer cited so that it is isn't an obscure one.

i.e ensure that during OoO execution all HW access protection rules are honoured and considered. Even saying "HW access protection rules must be honoured" on its own is no good. There has to be something specific that constrains the attack surface so that the development cost is sensible. That is a valuable paper, because that is the challenge to get secure designs. i.e. when you have a 100 million lines of code, how do you make it secure?

"Professionals are meant to be masters of the body of knowledge in their profession. Lawyers, for example. And chip designers."

Fact - All major vendors affected - Intel, AMD, ARM, Apple, Qualcomm, etc i.e. This issue was not typical of the knowledge of the profession. All face the issue in different manifestations.

From Intel T&C of sale, their caps, emphasis mine

"SELLER SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, SATISFACTORY QUALITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WHETHER OR NOT SELLER HAD REASON TO KNOW OF ANY SUCH PURPOSE, AND ANY WARRANTY AGAINST INFRINGEMENT OF ANY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHT OF A THIRD PARTY. NO ORAL OR WRITTEN INFORMATION OR ADVICE GIVEN BY SELLER OR AN AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE SHALL CREATE A WARRANTY OR IN ANY WAY INCREASE THE SCOPE OF THIS WARRANTY. PURCHASER ACCEPTS THE RISKS OF USE AND SUCH RISKS FALL SOLELY ON PURCHASER. "

That's the Intel lawyers being masters of their profession. By the same logic, if Intel lawyers are masters of their profession, there is no court case. But that is not proven yet either.

Both (chip designers and lawyers) have taken step typical of their profession, this is what the present evidence says.

LOL123

Re: What didn't I know and when didn't I know it?

"can only be solved by software"

The "only" is a garnish there, that is not stated. Any more than it can "only" be solved by hardware, for a lawsuit.

"all qualified computer scientists, of which the chipsters must employ hundreds if not thousands."

So a lawsuit needs to show that Intel does not hire qualified people, or that those scientists raised the issue and were ignored and this was a promised product feature.

"the solutions to Spectre and Meltdown are now known to be partially or entirely hardware"

Not quite. The HW "accelerated" versions are, yes in HW. If there was no sw solution, yes it can get into faulty HW territory depending on what was promised. This is not the case.

Was there wilful negligence.. i.e. it was common knowledge for OoO CPU design or Intel was informed and ignored it. This was what the original source cited implied - it implies this was known for *HW OoO CPU design* since 1971.

If common knowledge, it should have been only Intel, but that is not so.

If Intel was informed and still neglected subsequent design.. ok but no evidence yet. So innocent for now.

If Intel specifically claimed guaranteed security, but knew of the weakness. Again no evidence.

If Intel show in their design flow that they have taken reasonable steps to review designs etc, and that their design process is typical for the industry (or better), and that the problem was not recognisable, then it isn't a legal problem. It is a PR problem.

It just becomes a lesson learnt in CPU design and engineering. As with all human created endeavours CPUs are imperfect too.

The lawsuit seeks to assign guilt, but the verdict seems to be already here if you read the comments and articles. "Intel guilty" - I find this irrational.

It is a fact that every product has bugs and so this line of thinking which is equating a bug to guilt would mean every manufacturer is guilty of selling faulty products. This is not a tenable stance.

There needs to be more evidence than just finding a bug.

LOL123

Re: What didn't I know and when didn't I know it?

Erm this is a SW guideline, so your evidence actually is exactly what Intel, AMD and ARM will use.. the SW didn't use the HW right inspite of guidance since 1971.

If you have ever worked with bare metal and custom ASICs, you'd know this is rather common. One side is blamed, the fence is between HW and SW.

When a workaround exists, SW is at fault. Because the HW people will just say the workaround was always the right method... (you can't use the HW that way you were for performance unless you are willing to take the security risk, we'll improve documentation for next time...)

LOL123
Facepalm

Re: We have only ourselves to blame

>>Intel did not take any lessons learned from its experiences with other chip architectures

which architecture for example?? This has nothing to do with processor ISAs.. Architectures and the implementation of an architecture are two different things. AMD's implementation of x86_64 architecture is better when evaluated on this specific criteria. It might be worse on others. So could ARM8. Better and worse.

>>Intel did not take any lessons learned from its experiences with other chip architectures

On which of their other implementations did they make the same mistake to learn from and corrected it there but chose to ignore "the lesson" for their out of order CPUs?

This is becoming an Intel withhunt - lots of comments but little fact.

"Intel knew all along I tell you.. all along! The CEO must be burned alive! Burn Intel.. off with it's head.."

"I'm afraid to enter my password.. Am I alive? Is my money safe? Can I fly? My phone! Will the internet stop? Bitcoin wallets are insecure causing market crash.. It's all intel's fault I tell you!"

"Everyone should have used <favourite vendor of the week != Intel>. That's what I've been telling to you all.. Told ya..."

I mean at what point does one state that The Register is spewing "fake news". If it became obvious in a few years that the commentary didn't hold or other cpus have even more fatal flaws, does The Register become a fake news outlet for what it printed ingood faith today??

Prove Intel's bad faith...

LOL123

Re: What about auto-updates?

I don't get the comparison to aircraft, they are specifically sold with safety assurances and hence as commented use a different development process.

The CPU is a part, and it is the procuring entity/system manufacturer that is responsible for assessing suitability and fitness for purpose.

If Intel claimed suitability this is a different matter. No one has pointed to any evidence of this.

You can ask why do SW like linux and windows store critical data in such a fashion to gain performance? Intel will say this is not a secure implementation and the OS vendors mis-represented performance by compromising security.

The corollary here is that insecure CPUs are illegal to be sold. Who said so? Which law forbids this??

Bad PR for Intel yes, but this is not remotely the same as being illegal.

Meltdown, Spectre: The password theft bugs at the heart of Intel CPUs

LOL123

Re: football punditry?

Well for it to be gaffe it should be an embarrassing mistake, a mistake made rarely/by a few.

For it to be a "mega-gaffe", it would have to be a obvious oversight, made by no-one and blindingly obvious.

So I see a mega-gaffe as a mistake made on the very obvious. And obvious this isn't.

I mean what is "mega-gaffe" about it? "Mega-gaffes" don't take a decade to find which is my point.

LOL123

football punditry?

>>This is, essentially, a mega-gaffe by the semiconductor industry.

This is a bit rich I feel.

It has taken the world a *decade* to find this on what are the two most popular architectures (x86, ARM) which are open on the details of the involved HW (out of necessity for SW use).

The number of technical people and engineers who have seen this is not insignificant over that decade.

Yet it has taken so long to identify it.

Hindsight might be 20/20, but to call this an obvious gaffe is contrary to a decade of evidence.

LOL123

Re: Colour me surprised ....

>> Now will people believe me ?

There's nothing to believe... there is no such thing as perfect security which means every subsequent discussion claiming it is moot. There is no perfectly secure OS, perfectly secure silicon, perfectly secure system operator.

Perfectly unintelligent claims do look possible.

Bitcoin price soars amid technical troubles for exchanges

LOL123

Re: Not surprising

Much of this is going into what are called ICOs AIUI. The big transactions are not cash, the small ones are. Thus most volume is for inter-crypto currency conversions. This is why the transaction goes through even when fiat exchanges are down.

I think money laundering also plays a huge role. I do think this is a bubble but then I also think fiat currency and QE are bubbles too so I don't know enough to draw the line.

If it ever becomes a real economic currency it will absolutely skyrocket but then regulators will stop it and it will die. I can't see how crypto currency can help society anyway.

Snap: We've blown $3bn this year and Tencent wants to give us more

LOL123

Re: What about auto-updates?

You are not helping a company grow by buying shares unless you've bought them directly from the company.

Not necessarily, a higher listed share price could allow a company to secure additional funding such as debt.

This could be what Snap Inc means.

Pretend Python packages prey on poor typing

LOL123

Re: What about auto-updates?

I think the command needs a space at the end.

pip list –format=legacy | egrep '^(acqusition|apidev-coop|bzip|crypt|django-server|pwd|setup-tools|telnet|urlib3|urllib) '

Microsoft says it won't fix kernel flaw: It's not a security issue. Suuuure

LOL123

Re: Facepalm! Windows 10 1607 Aniversary Update "Defer Updates" setting is back to front.

I couldn't believe they'd get something so fundamental wrong, but yes I deferred feature updates to get the feature update, and my machine upgraded.

I have also found Office 365 much buggier than Office 2016.

This must be a new strategy - alpha is now beta, and what was beta is now gold.

Google has some sort of plan for not favouring its own shopping service

LOL123

Making a profit does not equate to success.. How you go about it matters. Profit via "abuse" of power does not make for a "successful" company, accepting that what constitutes "abuse" is subjective.

So arguing for striking the right balance would be valid, calling any regulatory step a "penalty" isn't.

Ultimately "successful" companies require regulation to serve the ultimate purpose of any and all laws - the wider good - for humanity and society.

No monopolies is what I say. Yes if you are that successful, you're too successful. You're eliminating competition, instead of competing.

The wider good takes over and laws must ensure this. A free market cannot function without competition - it is designed to only work with it.

Official: Windows for Workstations returns in Fall Creators Update

LOL123

Re: What about auto-updates?

So start with a BS implementation, and give enterprise knobs to make it less shit, is what we can look forward to from Windows 10?

That's like someone leaving a pile of shit on your front door, with a free toilet paper roll.... Hey you didnt use the paper, so don't blame the poo for stinking!

The point is not to reboot when the user is active to begin with.. A good enterprise product shouldn't need IT teams to have to use the free toilet roll....

LOL123

Re: What about auto-updates?

At work, we were in a meeting on Skype business with people presenting and all the windows 10 machines started rebooting one by one with people getting kicked out of the meeting. There was no warning other that "Windows is rebooting now" and no choice. The Windows 7 users were spared. It took about two hours before all the machines were done "finishing updates".

Updates - Home, Pro, Enterprise whatever - ought to be done when the user is idle, and also should complete whatever "finishing updates" step it needs to do as well. The worst bit on my Windows 10 Pro machine at home is to come back to my machine looking to do something quickly, only to find the unwelcome "finishing updates" screen. No update is so critical that it can take Microsoft a month to develop but requires immediate deployment no matter what.

Also Windows 10 is releasing stuff half done and well before their prime, meaning it has to update more frequently as updates are fixing bugs while introducing new ones at the same time. This is very visible to end users. This is being sold off as a "feature" of Windows 10. The comment earlier about Home users refusing updates shows this is not well received.

My Macbook Pro in three years in comparison has done it's best to restore things post update, and is intelligent enough to not do this while I typically work on it, and certainly "finishes" it without being an intrusion. I never come back to the machine telling me "f*** you user, I'm doing shit"

What other tools you use in life getting away with this kind of "Finishing can't use me now" shit when you reach out to use them..

Virgin Media mulls ditching 1 in 3 UK facilities, starts £20m spend audit

LOL123

They need a spend audit for sure..

I bet that the cost of all that marketing material shoved down letterboxes would pay for this... I get one almost fortnightly

They even post versions without the logo on the envelope to get you to open it.

If that's what it takes to get subscribers, estate overheads isn't what should be on top of the list, it's the CEO's salary that needs a spend audit...

Intel is upset that Qualcomm is treating it like Intel treated AMD for years and years

LOL123

Re: 5 quid says...

Sure there'll be a performance hit. The question is would the x86 application still perform acceptably.

Android is sort of JIT, iOS is native. Shows it can work fine.

EU, China may demand concessions for Qualcomm's $39bn Dutch chip plant slurp

LOL123

Well it isn't complete bollocks.. A 64bit system would be faster than a pure 32 bit system (without extensions) for eg when crossing the address boundary on paper. Whether this confers any practical benefit could be argued as a different matter. It does say "can" be faster after all.

LOL123

>> I've seen it before with Qualcomm acquisitions!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualcomm#Acquisitions

Emotions aside could you give examples?

Can't see these being made royalty businesses. You also seem to be vastly overvaluing nxp rf ip if you think it alone is worth $37 bn. Those private equity owners would have milked it dry if this were true.

Qualcomm do not look to be just a royalty business so I'm curious how you come to this conclusion given the vast number of Snapdragon and atheros wifi chips they sell.

Page:

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019