* Posts by Big John

1745 posts • joined 28 Oct 2009

Trump's 'cyber tsar' Giuliani among creds leaked in mass hacks

Big John
Silver badge

Enquiring minds...

How come the headline doesn't resemble the article? Is El Reg a tabloid now?

0
1

Lord of the Dance set to deliver high kicks at Trump’s big ball

Big John
Silver badge

Re: @Big John -- Ah, well

Dudes, the Tea Party did not exist when Obama became president. Sure some people were POed about it, but they didn't march to DC and plan violent protests over it like your side is now.

Enchilada Restaurant Meeting? Really? You're trying to stack some obscure meeting I've never heard of up against the Great Unhinging we are now witnessing? Please try harder.

> "Oh right.... she made it up and all the intelligence agencies went along with it"

Yes they did, being headed every one by Obama's hand-picked toadies. And when a president has perverted our intelligence agencies for his party's benefit, it's time we stopped it PDQ.

Anyway none of this really matters because YOU LOST. And you're still losers, trying desperately to assuage the pain of losing by tearing down the winners instead of licking your wounds and becoming stronger for the future battles. Sad to see an entire movement reduced to such an abject state.

0
1
Big John
Silver badge

Re: Ah, well

I agree, both poles have their crazy quotient. It's in the rank and file where you find the stark differences across the divide. Isn't it almost always the case that it's the Left who is protesting? People like to 'point out' how partisan the Republicans were after the 2008 election, but no GOP politician said Obama wasn't legit, and none refused to go to his Inauguration over their differences.

Now both those things are happening to Trump, and the best excuse the Dems have for it is a fact-free theory about Russians throwing our election, something Hillary made up in a moment of desperation right after a big email bomb hit her bunker.

Basically the Left at this point is acting very juvenile and not at all adult about the whole thing, and that's what comes across to those people still in the middle.

1
6
Big John
Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: because their candidate lost

The ones here suggesting the Reps were no different in 2009 than the Dems are now are pretty rich. I do not recall seeing any protests at Obama's Inauguration. Rather, it was practically an orgy, with thrills running up pundits' legs and reporters laid low in droves by the vapours at the mere sight of The One looking at them.

Now, we have Trump entering a war zone, courtesy of the American Left. Who lost. And won't stop whining about it.

You guys just keep it up. You're swelling our ranks. You look like the sore losers you are.

Please keep it up.

0
13
Big John
Silver badge

Sing and you die

"Presumably they’ve been worried about being upstaged..."

No, some of them are hyper-partisan Democrats who have decided that Trump won't ever be their president, and the rest are those who would be happy to put politics aside at this time, but are instead having to drop out so they don't appear on liberal blacklists and lose their income.

It's SOP for the Left; Attack not just your enemy but also anyone who won't attack with you. Jennifer Holliday (who is black and a patriot) had to drop out because of the death threats she received from supposedly tolerant progressives and other black people.

Basically many of those behind this boycott are filled with unreasoning rage because their candidate lost. Well some are, and others are still hiding in their safe spaces from the Trump-monster...

7
37

Trump inauguration DDoS protest is 'illegal', warn securobods

Big John
Silver badge

Re: 1984

There is a time for undermining, should it become necessary, and that time is not just previous to and during the Presidential Inauguration. Doing so is equivalent to declaring war, when it includes many Congressional Democrats joining public protest boycotts, and at least one respected senator declaring that the President Elect is not legitimate.

And if it is to be war, then Trump is freed to exercise all his well-honed public manipulation techniques and feel justified in doing so, once he is the Oval Occupant. Don't sound too cool, do it?

The point is, this kind of noisy and inappropriate protest plays directly into Trump's hands as a persuader, and he will take full advantage of it. I say this as one of his supporters.

0
3
Big John
Silver badge

Re: 1984

> "His attitude towards women, demonstrated by public behaviour, is disgusting"

I don't recall any such public behavior. Okay, that private conversation with one other guy, that was caught on tape and then leaked by media partisans years later was a tad off-colour, but everything else is merely controversial, not disgusting. If you think it is, that's your opinion not mine.

In fact there are quite a few women who have known and worked with Trump who call him a gentleman. Oh, there was a Mexican beauty pageant winner who claims he called her "Miss Piggy" because he thought she'd gotten too fat, but that's just Trump. He does that sort of thing to a lot of people. He can be abrasive. It's not particularly aimed at women, no matter what the Democrats and their faked-up "Republican war on women" meme says. The Left needs to hang up that line until they start confronting Islam about how they treat women. Until then, they're not only liars but huge hypocrites.

8
11

Valley techies to protest outside Palantir – Trump adviser's creepy citizen database biz

Big John
Silver badge

Re: Of course they won't make a "Muslim" database. That would be inefficient.

Who is this "They" you speak of? It seems to me that whenever people are being categorized by race or religion, It is a Leftist doing it. Rightists would prefer that everyone be treated the same no matter what, but it's the Left who insist a level playing field is actually unfair and must be biased (by them) which always ends up slamming doors in the faces of the majority groups, creating resentment and reaction, not to mention damaging victim mentalities in minority groups.

And the Left loves that, because then they feel able to point at the majority and scream words like "racist!" and "exploiter!". Leftists can't allow races and religions to exist in harmony, because then there would be no 'disadvantaged' minorities to save from the big bad majority.

As for the Muslims, they should be treated exactly like everyone else. Any culture that commits the vast majority of murderous terrorism against defenseless human beings (mostly other Muslims I might add) needs to be held to account by the rest of humanity. The fact that the Muslims are a minority is no shield against these charges.

Let the Muslims clean up their own house and the rest of us will stop thinking and saying what we do about them. If they don't, they are bringing discrimination down upon their own heads, and righteously so.

0
2
Big John
Silver badge

Supply your evidence or STFU.

0
4
Big John
Silver badge

Re: But Trump said...

I see, so the part of the press which is antagonistic towards Trump (most of them) eschewed reporting actual words Trump uttered that are "bad" in favor of underhanded mashups composed of various other things he said. Please explain to me why they would avoid powerful evidence against Trump's candidacy and just make up stuff instead?

The answer is that they couldn't, just like you didn't actually provide those "bad" things you mentioned. The truth is those bad things are only bad in the ears of Democrats and their fellow travelers. The rest of us have waited all our lives to hear a politician utter them. You know full well that if you try to present those ideas as bad, I and others will forcefully point out that more than half the country likes those ideas. That's what got Trump elected. Well, that and Hillary's extreme corruption.

0
3
Big John
Silver badge

Re: Me Too!

It's copy from his own company's site. Are you expecting him to say his product is "okay" or "not too bad"? Do you really work in this industry?

1
2
Big John
Silver badge

Re: Next Week

"We don't know what exactly Trump is going to do. Certainly none of it sounds very good."

If you're going to criticize Trump, at least be consistent. You say you don't know what he's planning, and in the same sentence you characterize those unknown plans as not very good. Somehow I get the impression you have based your opinion of him on a few lurid headlines.

I don't specifically object to Trump being criticized, but it needs to be more definite, okay?

4
15
Big John
Silver badge

Re: But Trump said...

I too am part Native American, 1/16th to be exact. But being (partly) of a proud race, I choose not to use this fact for self-aggrandizement, even if guilty paleface liberals want me to do so! Leave that sort of thing to Barrack Obama and Elizabeth Warren is what I say.

Still, a little preferential action once in a while would be nice...

2
8
Big John
Silver badge

Re: Meh!

It's not hard to understand. The Democrats are the Party of Freebies, thus the poor tend to vote for them a lot. And no one is poorer than illegal alie... excuse me, undocumented migrants. So the Dems are determined not to enforce our laws about immigration because that way they get more voters in future.

Of course they also need to get those gate crashers sworn in as Demo... (oops, there I go again) ..I mean as American citizens, so they can legally vote.

Heck, some Dems aren't even willing to wait that long, and oppose any attempt to make voters prove who they are, and they also give illegals driver's licenses. Sure makes it easier for the illegals to vote with the help of a major party, don't it?

6
16
Big John
Silver badge

Re: But Trump said...

I've been following what Trump says, and he did not say he wants to deport Muslim Americans.That is a simple lie from the corporate media, akin to a blood libel. I challenge anyone to supply a quote from Trump stating such a desire.

3
11
Big John
Silver badge

Re: Next Week

That's right, they are the GOOD PEOPLE. And everyone who isn't a Trump stooge knows he stated he wants to deport all three million Americans of the Muslim faith. Or if he didn't exactly say that, we all know he's thinking it, the monster.

At least that's the meme we are supposed to swallow, according this Kieren person.

4
15

Japan's terrifying techno-toilets will be made foreigner friendly, vow makers

Big John
Silver badge
Go

Re: Clarification

Obligatory Simpsons in Japan.

1
1

Li-ion tamers: Boffins build battery with built-in fire extinguisher

Big John
Silver badge

Re: A couple of side effects

It's not pressurized, so no need to test it yearly.

0
0

Laser beam sky mirage cannon can spy on enemies and generate Star Trek-style shields

Big John
Silver badge

> "How many nuclear power stations of radio energy are we talking about?"

Right? The antennas would be slagged long before the atmosphere was raised more than a few inches.

2
0

Home Einsteins help turn up 13 new pulsars

Big John
Silver badge

Re: How the hell does a star change its rotation?

No need to imagine, just stand on your head.

0
0

Trump's cyber-guru Giuliani runs ancient 'easily hackable website'

Big John
Silver badge
Alert

Re: Yeah, no surprise

Yeah, how dare Trump presume to be President when he knows next to nothing about computers! The nerve of some people!

0
1
Big John
Silver badge

Re: Big Brother Security to the rescue

I wasn't really talking about critical infrastructure, but okay.

So your thinking is that everyone's web security is government's job, because the private sector can't be trusted to do it and will leave us at the mercy of the black hats? Isn't that always the argument whenever people want the government to fix a problem? "Can't trust the free market to do anything right, they're all monkeys."

Yet generally it turns out it pretty crappy when government does big stuff. I could site many, many examples. Okay, there are examples of things government does well. I understand Arpanet came in pretty handy. But that wasn't an all-encompassing project like being envisioned here.

0
2
Big John
Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: Big Brother Security to the rescue

So, everyone who responded to my question DOES think it's the government's job to get involved with private web security? And I'm the the one who doesn't get it?

What a perfect example of government's heavy influence over the attitudes of the masses. Probably all that government-run early school training. Trust Big Daddy government, kiddies, it's for your own good!

Seriously people, we do NOT want government running our personal cyber-security. Really. What goes on in Rudy's business is totally immaterial to that issue. Personally I don't think Trump should be hiring anyone who was mayor of New York. Rudy can't be much of a conservative if he wins elections in that leftist paradise.

2
3
Big John
Silver badge

Big Brother Security to the rescue

Okay, it's not a good sign for Rudy's security business. But please, someone tell me when it became the government's job to enhance the nation's civilian cyber security? Isn't that best left in the hands of the private sector anyway? And if it is, then why all the trumped up outrage? Seems like some doth protest too much, about the wrong topic anyway.

5
39

Terry Pratchett's self-written documentary to be broadcast in 2017

Big John
Silver badge

Re: Literary critics

Eunuchs were 'employed' more than just in the Ottoman court. I believe there were several hundred thousand at least in Chinese history. In fact, most ruling systems in the historical period had eunuchs, and probably lots before that.

It's just too easy to create them...

3
0
Big John
Silver badge

Yes, like Wodehouse you must read Pratchett aloud to really savour his creative genius. I recently started my wife on him that way and she got totally hooked despite not being a reader or a fantasy fan. The same books I had read long ago suddenly took on a whole new dimension under the spell of the spoken word. Silent reading misses too many of the nuances he put into his work, particularly in the dialogue.

5
0

Microsoft sued by staff traumatized by child sex abuse vids stashed on OneDrive accounts

Big John
Silver badge

Re: "poor widdle snowflakes..." Et tu, Bomba Bob?

The main argument against your plan (aside from the coppers') is the issue of abuse. I mean abuse of this system by unscrupulous types. Maybe it could be made safe and maybe it couldn't, but it's new and with the current climate of technofear about digital security, It's going to be a very tough sell. The police won't really have to do much opposing because so many others will be doing it.

At least that's how I visualize it happening, could be wrong.

1
0
Big John
Silver badge

Re: Microsoft should probably pay out and move on

You got that right. Who in their right minds would think this assignment is just another job? It was guaranteed to blow up in their faces sooner or later.

10
0
Big John
Silver badge

Re: poor widdle snowflakes... wait, what?

BB, keep in mind that it's claimed that they were assigned to this sickening task against their wishes, they did not volunteer. If true, I have to agree that it's a terrible job to force on someone. If MS offered double pay and people volunteered, that would be different.

19
0

UK Parliament suddenly remembers it wants to bone up cyber security *cough* Russia *cough*

Big John
Silver badge

Re: Breeched

Maybe it's a subtle joke.

0
0
Big John
Silver badge

Re: Change your passwords!

If everyone has been compromised by everyone else, I see no problem.

0
0
Big John
Silver badge

Russia is the bad guy because the Democrats needed someone to blame when their dirty laundry appeared online. And now it's all the Dems have in the fight against their triumphant antagonist, so they're doubling down repeatedly on that fable. Okay, they're basically risking war with Russia in doing so, but Trump must be stopped!!

Besides, it probably won't happen...

0
2

Asteroid nearly gave Earth a new feature, two days after its discovery

Big John
Silver badge

Re: What if it had hit?

I thought it blew up...?

0
0
Big John
Silver badge

Re: My fault

> "I voted "giant meteor" in the last election."

That'll go nowhere fast. We need to organize the Giant Meteor Party!

0
0
Big John
Silver badge

Re: What if it had hit?

I looked at craterhunter's site, and I can say as a Google Earth monster that the 'crater' image he has on that page does appear to the untrained eye to be a blast site, but in fact is typical desert erosion that just happens to be arranged to look kinda radial in pattern.

Of course, I did have to find the site on Google Earth to be sure, and craterhunter neglected to provide a link or info. And it does look like his photos are a bit doctored to make the 'crater' stand out a lot. I've spent many years living and hiking on just such terrains. They're everywhere in the US Southwest, and that site shows a caprock layer around the edge of a bowl with erosion proceeding into the soft layers below the caprock. It's extremely typical of the desert here.

In short, cool as it sounds, I was not impressed with the "ancient airbursts killed the megafauna" theory based on that proposed location. Don't have much to say about other evidence, but I'd guess he's a bit of a kook. A fun one tho!

1
0
Big John
Silver badge

Re: One of these days...

All right Ralph, if the Earth had a kisser, where would it be?

1
0
Big John
Silver badge

No, Bruce can't help us now. Getting kinda long in the tooth. We need new heroes, men and women (and others) who will place their fragile bodies on the line for their planet. 'Git 'er done' types (like Bruce) who don't flinch when flipping the Nuke Gun lever to 'Auto.'

Um, is Chuck Norris still available...?

0
0
Big John
Silver badge
Devil

You might not want to know. But at least the ones we miss will only be city wreckers and not plate busters. With those we'd have plenty of time to panic.

3
1

NASA taps ESA satellite Swarm for salty ocean temperature tales

Big John
Silver badge

Re: Astonshing.

> "Yes but if the research wasn't claiming to have application investigating AGW or it's effects it would never have been funded."

Good point. But, I can think of one way to get funding for it outside AGW. It so happens that some areas in the world are affected by large repeating weather cycles such as El Niño in the temperate and tropical western Americas. That fun climate thingy is caused by mysterious deep currents in the Eastern Pacific which seem to stop and start semi-randomly every few years. It has a huge effect on a lot of people in quite a few countries, due to big changes in rainfall over those areas.

If science can get a good handle on that, they could better predict what El Niño is going to do, substantially enhancing several economies. We're talking many billions USD at the least. I can't imagine this ocean science ever approaching that cost.

Of course that's in an ideal world. In the real world the funding is AGW driven as you say.

0
0
Big John
Silver badge

Re: Astonshing.

Yes it is way cool science, but the author just couldn't resist tying it into his AGW religion. Notice that every article of this type always has a section where it's forcefully asserted how the the consensus is sooo overwhelming (so don't be a fool and oppose it).

If AGW were really accepted by virtually all scientists (like Evolution is) then they would not bother to do that, they would just let it be an unspoken truth most of the time. But that's not really an option for AGW because its foundations are so very shaky. Got to hammer the 'truth' down people's throats every chance they get.

10
6

Weather stops SpaceX from blowing up more satellites

Big John
Silver badge

It could be that the way this last SpaceX rocket blew up is what's got some people looking askance at that company.

It's one thing to hurl a gauntlet into the Face of God and see it burst asunder across the sky, but when it prematurely goes bang right there on the pad for no obvious reason, well...

3
8

Elon's SpaceX gets permission to blow up another satellite or two

Big John
Silver badge

Re: FUCK YEAR!

I noticed that too. While Obama is toying with war in his last days in power, toe-to-toe with the Rooskies as it were, who is positioned by this author as the dangerous one? Why, the one who tweets a lot, that's who.

I guess there's nothing to be done when so many are so delusional, D.A.M.

1
11
Big John
Silver badge

Re: Soooo, crashing it into Mars would be OK?

Only if they arranged to get decent video of the event.

0
0

China to Donald Trump: Twitter diplomacy 'undesirable'

Big John
Silver badge

Re: China's record on human rights

Locking up all those terrorists in Gitmo was indeed a mistake. They should have been executed on the battlefield as the terrorists they are. But no, Bush wanted to get info out of them, and yes it did save lives, but it also allowed some people to whinge and bleat about the 'inhumanity' of holding such people in durance vile. And it's true. They should not have had to spend so long in jail, they should have been pushing up the daisies.

And now Obama is letting them all loose to go and murder more innocents. I guess that's progress?

1
5
Big John
Silver badge

Re: Trump : Only a bit of an arse?

Okay, "Trump haters" is a bit broad. I suppose I really meant the kind of people who loudly oppose all things Trump because all their friends are doing it. The really serious ideological opponents of the new President are not fooled by the the extreme rhetoric being churned out by the Democrat-arse-lickers running most of the media here. They know full well how dangerous he might be to their long term plans for remaking American society in their own PC image.

0
5
Big John
Silver badge

Re: There is a real easy way to put a stop this this:

You are laboring under the delusion that the US corporate media still moulds US public opinion as they wish.

They don't. Thank Ghod.

2
5
Big John
Silver badge

Re: Trump : Only a bit of an arse?

> "I can't help thinking that he'll do so much damage to the USA..."

You mean worse than the intentional harm Obama the Petulant is attempting to saddle his own country with at the last second of his reign, apparently to teach us voters it's not nice to thwart His Desires?

I'm afraid you Trump haters are going to be sooo disappointed. Trump's Presidency will be vastly more successful than what came before it, at least from a conservative's POV.

It's a safe bet, considering that if Trump merely has a pulse he'll just about pull even with Obama's record, and the slightest sign of competence will vault him far beyond anything Obama has accomplished, unless you count thousands of new, onerous executive regulations Obama signed as 'successes.'

Better count quick tho, because Trump will shortly be deactivating them all in big bunches. Sure hope his pen hand can take the strain.

BTW, I do agree Trump is a bit of an arse, but he's our arse, unlike the America-blaming joke he's replacing.

5
28

Astroboffins glimpse sighting of ultra-rare circular galaxy

Big John
Silver badge

Re: AIM HERE

Actually you may be on target. Galaxy sims show that when a massive object (big black hole or small galaxy) passes thru a disk galaxy near the center and perpendicular to the disk plane, the mass of the intruder tends to draw in some of the target galaxy radially as it goes thru.

The intruder then continues on, leaving a lot of mass with a large inward radial component. The stars and gas clouds will first contract to a small ring (prevented from making a tiny clump due to angular momentum) and then that radial component changes sign and the small ring expands into a very large ring.

The ring's gas and dust collides with other gas clouds on the way out and triggers hot star formation in the ring's outer edge.

1
0
Big John
Silver badge
Go

Everything you say falls in line with the General Theory of Relatives.

Um, did they form a hot outer ring?

1
0

Vinyl and streaming sales offset CD decline in UK music sales

Big John
Silver badge
Angel

The needle! That's what makes vinyl what it is. Digital can only dream of getting up close and personal with the groove like a needle does. And you don't even need electricity to do it. Unplugged! Just jam yer feeler into the sweet spot and apply angular momentum.

Ahhh, those winsome clicks and pops, so like quanta...

1
0

Forums