Is it ironic that www.amberrudd.co.uk is an HTTPS site?
33 posts • joined 4 Aug 2009
Re: Still confusing?
Have just checked a couple of the UK operators' small print. EE and O2 both count EU to EU calls whilst roamed as coming out of the minutes allowance on pay monthly contracts.
Re: The REAL benefit
Only for the GPLv2 components. They will also avoid GPLv3 software like the plague.
Re: Range Anxiety is a myth (from an owners view)
Don't forget that US gallons are smaller than UK gallons and the pound has lost a lot of value recently. £1.10/litre ≅ US$5.50/USgallon.
And how long have they been putting off an upgrade to their call centre's database front end so that it uses protocols newer than SSLv3? Did they even plan one? Are they still using an ancient version of Internet Explorer with Citrix?
Sheep may safely browse
"Sheep don't use modems"
– Cliff Stanford (then running Demon Internet) early 1994.
F Y CN RD THS Y CN GT A GD JB N CMPTRS
It's actually cheaper on some UK networks to send an SMS from one EU country to another whilst roaming (capped EU rate, approx 10p) than it is to send the same text message from the UK to that same EU country (contract or PAYG rate, usually 20p).
Charlotte Green reads Les Barker's poem "Voicemail"
Have Apple UK registered this use and storage of personal information with the Information Commissioner?
Re: After the contract has expired,
Actually, T-Mobile is currently giving me a £4 per month discount for having continued the contract for another 24 months and not requesting an upgrade to my handset.
Prior art would not be Tesla but Heinrich Hertz using a portable tuned loop, looking for tiny sparks in a darkened room.
Re: Windows 8
...a minimum 95% of the desktop, leaving just 5% for user applications.
There, fixed that for you.
Re: (C) StationX
Crown Copyright on documents only lasts for 50 years.
Is this the "fat bottom" meson?
It's to stop him being a rePeter offender.
Shetland Times versus Shetland News. 1996
As it's now a published "fact", it can be cited on Wikipedia.
Let's hope there are no more mix-ups
And they don't bury Guy Gomer instead.
Last memorial of the JANet coloured books
NRS be gone! Some of us will remember the back-to-front email addresses used in UK academia.
There is a tale of someone sending an email to a computer lab address of email@example.com, and finding it routed via Chile (manually forwarded by a mail system admin).
In many rural places there is no main sewerage system; each property has its own septic tank.
A blue pencil moment
"But it seems that after four years work the vast majority of PHP applications are still being *deployment* on Linux servers at the expense of Windows."
Was the proof reading step mist?
Of course, the P in LAMP can equally be Perl or Python, and it's as easy to write code vulnerable to SQL injection in all of them.
888 subtitles are inserted by the broadcasters themselves (ie. ITV, C4 or five) and are independent of Teletext Ltd. The broadcaster has one VBI line exclusively for the use of subtitles. In other words, subtitles won't be affected by this.
"It was Stephen Fry who quipped that the purpose of Sainsbury’s is to keep the riff-raff out of Waitrose."
Actually, that was penned by the late Alan Coren.
The Queen's Speech is never live. It's always pre-recorded several days before. The BBC and ITN take it in turns to record it. This year it was ITN's turn. I haven't checked, but I would suspect that the IRN network is used to distribute it to commercial radio stations on the day.
Parts of Liverpool will be covered
Much of the Liverpool area gets its signals from the Winter Hill mast (like Manchester), not Storeton (on the Wirral).
Over the coming decade, the mechanical copyright on the original Beatles 45s and 78s will expire (50 years since release). There will still be composer royalties to be paid, but there's little that EMI will be able to do to prevent a third party from recording an original Parlophone pressing, cleaning it up, and releasing it on CD.
These recent CD/USB re-releases (because of the remastering) will have a fresh new mechanical copyright date which won't expire until at least 2059.
BBC Radio 7 too
CBeebies on BBC 7 would only ever play the first verse of Rolf Harris's "Two Little Boys".
Victor Hugo's publisher got there first
Manufacturer: "!" ?
The official information on the reshuffle.
ITV did this in the early 1980s. I remember the cardboard 3D glasses given away in the TV Times, and Michael Rodd introducing the programmes -- mainly 1950s feature films.
Cmrg yn txt
Ma hn wld fy tads n anwl i mi. Crecha!
No wonder it wasn't valid.
Of course, it should have been "...fewer beds..." not "...less beds..." as it's a countable quantity.