Cue stories of the automatic reboot fixer putting devices into an endless loop so they'll need a update-fixer-fixer and so on.... Spaghetti code extreme!
374 posts • joined 1 Jul 2009
Re: A programming error?
"pilot errors that cause a crash are extremely rare."
In fact, pilot error is the leading cause of commercial airline accidents, with close to 80% percent of accidents caused by pilot error, according to Boeing. The other 20% are mainly due to faulty equipment and unsafe, weather-related flying conditions.
The numbers may vary, but the experts agree: Human error is the biggest cause of plane accidents. The focus is often on the pilots. PlaneCrashInfo.com analyzed 1,015 fatal accidents involving commercial aircraft, worldwide, from 1950 thru 2010, and found pilot error was a factor in 53 percent of all fatal accidents in that period.
As aircraft have become more reliable, the proportion of crashes caused by pilot error has increased and now stands at around 50%.
Another way to look at Amazon's counterfeit-busting Project Zero: Making merchants cough up protection money
" Amazon's takedown procedure is less effective than eBay's"
How can it be less effective than eBay's COMPLETELY USELESS takedown procedure.
Sure, it's easy to report but they usually get ignored. As someone who has repeatedly flagged items (with evidence) they never get taken down in a meaningful way. Even if a listing gets removed, it just gets relisted with minor changes.
Google: Hmm, this government regulation stuff looks important. Let's stick some more lobbyists on that
Re: re: The cheaper model has the fingerprint reader mounted on the side of the phone
"As for the foldable... How long before 'foldgate' starts appearing on this site in relation to folding problems?"
This was the first thing I thought watching the demo, but surely they had a machine folding / unfolding a million times to test resilience.
Re: Untrusted code
"How, it was a rootkit, not a format of C: drive?"
I'm not saying that people don't exaggerate in stories such as this, but that rootkit (like most) had several vulnerabilities and bugs. This had the potential to cause system crashes which in turn can cause data corruption and so on... VERY, VERY unlucky to lose everything, but not impossible.
Oh dear! Amazon's facial recognition is racist and sexist – and there's a JLaw deep fake that will make you want to tear out your eyes
Trying to log into Office 365 right now? It's a coin flip, says Microsoft: Service goes TITSUP as Azure portal wobbles
Re: £899 - Ouch
Yea I'm never paying close to £1k for a phone! The BOM for the iPhone XS was quoted as something like 1/3 sale price so plenty of wiggle room while still making obscene profits. Hopefully this slowing in phone sales / upgrades recently is the tip of the iceberg and people will wake up to the fact that they are being fleeced.
"..and the corporations will pass the cost of that tax straight on to us as higher prices. Thanks Phil."
Ignoring the fact (already pointed out) that we don't pay for services from most of the targeted corporations, it will also hopefully start towards leveling the playing field with online mega-retailers and small businesses.
Yale Weds: Just some system maintenance, nothing to worry about. Yale Thurs: Nobody's smart alarm app works
Re: I can see some of the US networks
Yes, Apple may have won a power struggle with networks; now they can leverage that to get favourable terms (for themselves, not customers) when deciding which network(s) to support with new phones. The name has changed but the game is still to make as much money as possible by any means necessary...
Re: Honestly.. this is the problem with the Android phone market
"The USP of this handset is practically non-existent.. "
As mentioned, the market is mature. Do you buy a toaster that has some great USPs or do you just want good toast? I want any device to perform the functions I bought it for, not to play with the latest gimmick.
"The fact they screwed up and then tried to blame someone else is just pathetic personal ethics."
Indeed, this kind of "casual lying" is pervasive in society today. It should not be accepted, especially from official bodies such as representatives of the people since it hints at a greater general dishonesty.