Re: 747 memories
Last minute business trip to Israel (board's not working, we need to complete testing -- send the engineer!).
Boston to JFK at 4:30pm , on a shuttle, get off the shuttle, run to the gate and the gate agent says "you're the last one, and closes the door behind me. I hurry down the jetway, get on the 747, and am treated to the following:
- an absolutely full plane. one seat open, the middle one, in the middle.
- my seat is right next to a very attractive young lady... (WIN!)
- ...who, I notice, is reading her Bible (not so much win)
- FA is trying to get a woman to take her seat ("I'm not sitting there!")
- Behind the FA is an older Orthodox gentleman, wide brim hat, earlocks and all, who's trying to pray in the aisle
I swear, it was like a scene out of Airplane.
Having worked the entire day, I believe I curled up in my seat, put in a pair of earplugs, and attempted to sleep. I don't remember much more. I spent about 40 hrs in Israel, the board passed the testing without my help, and I got upgraded to Business on the Lufthansa flight back to Boston (a bit surreal, boarding a Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt from Israel, though).
The really weird part -- I had no trouble entering Israel, but spent 30 minutes being interviewed about why I had been there and what I was doing when trying to leave. Apparently, this step is dispensed with if one brings an "invitation letter", but my trip had been so sudden that this detail had been omitted.