Re: Here we go again
With good reason. Getting PoS systems to work, especially for credit card processing is a definite a dark art. Back when I had to implement it for our group (back around the time PCI-DSS was just forming), we
- evaluated all the processing companies and chose two to work with.
- set up the appropriate bank accounts to handle our two processing licenses (one for online, one for at con)
- talk to the bank affiliated agent to make sure we had everything we needed
- purchased two components from one company,
- had our programmer write the hooks into our custom software
- tested everything, or thought we had.
Then we went with the live setup and ... Nothing. Spent the better part of the day on the phone with tech support to find out there was yet one more piece that needed to be implemented before it would all work. Normally took 2 weeks but they pulled strings and got it for us immediately so we could get it implemented for day 2 of our 3 day convention. The problem at the time was, nobody handled it from end to end, so nobody really knew everything that was required. I imagine that part isn't greatly changed even with PCI-DSS.