Check out the UK, then...
1. Regulating markets so they don't spin out of control.
Just like the last government's "light touch" regulations prevented the financial sector spinning out of control.
2. Providing infrastructure the private sector wouldn't, like highways.
Railtrack/Network Rail, The M6 relief route (now more accurately called a toll road), privatised prisons, attempting to privatise armed forces' training, ad infinitum, ad nauseam,
3. Funding research too speculative for private industry, like the internet.
They've only ever funded social engineering studies which are pre-ordained to come up with their preferred answer
4. Industrial policy to promote economic growth: see South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, China.
In the UK??? You gotta be kidding!
5. Education, both high school and university.
Secondary education in the UK is now at its lowest ever standard - and deteriorating further daily.
6. Socialism, providing various safety nets: see Social Security, Medicare, etc.
We have a whole class who choose Social Security asd a career path, not a safety net.
7. Labor laws, to prevent the capital owners from screwing the rest of us.
But no laws tp prevent the government/public sector from not just screwing us but raping us!