* Posts by Turbo Beholder

103 posts • joined 29 Jun 2008

Page:

Police costs for Gatwick drone fiasco double to nearly £900k – and still no one's been charged

Turbo Beholder

Re: 900k Vs 14M

And Skripals, and whatnot.

BS rides on BS and whips it with BS. And as long as there's no working mechanism for cleaning it, why won't it?

Turbo Beholder

Re: 900k Vs 14M

Let's sing together: «All aro-ound is So-oviet! All aro-ound is mi-ine!»

Overstock's share price has plummeted. Is it Trump's trade war? Bad results? Nope, its CEO has gone bonkers...

Turbo Beholder

Assuming he tweets for himself, perhaps.

Otherwise… he won't be the first — remember an exxtra-woke tweet from McDonald's? The drawback of monkeys with keyboards: sooner or later they start flinging it.

Cisco axes hundreds, shares tumble amid China cut-off – but we're winning the trade war, right? So much winning

Turbo Beholder

You seem to assume Cisco is on Trump's side (or at very least not on the opposite side so can be considered ally by default). Otherwise this headline doesn't make sense. But is there evidence for this?

What is observable: Cisco is on the same team as Facehug and Google. They used to support Clintons and Woke Housing, wrestling with ManBearPig, and all that rot. For example — ­how «Thought Leadership / Clinton Global Initiative» does sound like?

https://web.archive.org/web/1/www.cisco.com/c/en/us/about/consulting-thought-leadership/what-we-do/industry-practices/public-sector/our-practice/urban-innovation/connected-urban-development/further-cud-information/thought-leadership/clinton-global-initiative.html

Tor pedos torpedoed again, this time Feds torpedo four Tor pedos – and keep how they unmasked dark-web scumbags under wraps

Turbo Beholder

Well, yeah, the only reason it's not useless is that too many different parties want to play this game.

Donald Trump blinks in his one-man trade war with China: US govt stalls import tariff hike on Chinese phones, laptops, electronics

Turbo Beholder

Re: Lobbying

At this point, some more donations simply don't matter. They are not racing "one more time" for prestige, courting the apathetic public who doesn't give much of a damn. They are having cold civil war on the verge of getting very hot. Two alliances on each other's throat. A counter-coup vs. counter-counter-coup, with crowds cheering both sides. Mere ads can't change much in this situation. For the same reason, the press is going to act on its own allegiances, thus isn't going to do anything more or less than it would do anyway.

Turbo Beholder
Facepalm

See, it's EITHER "one-man trade war" OR "US govt" equals "Trump". A little consistency, hmm?

Other than this, it doesn't matter a whole lot. The reasons for tariff wars are leverage and protectionism.

Leverage has expiration date: it's used to push something else, then it either works (and will be discarded in exchange for gain), or doesn't (and will be discarded as useless). Either way, we don't know what went there.

Protectionism has a lag between the declaration and results. It merely clears a field for the locals… then someone else will have to sow something viable in it, which cannot be reaped instantly, either. Thus declaring a tariff a bit too early is not a mistake, this reduces inconveniences without weakening the intended effect.

Scumbags can program vulnerable MedTronic insulin pumps over the air to murder diabetics – insecure kit recalled

Turbo Beholder

The issue is that the entire idIOTic setup is pointless and dangerous. For that matter, it does not strictly need to be MCU controlled at all, though this has obvious advantages.

It needs only one wireless function: alarm going off when the pump runs out of medication/needs a recharge/malfunctions/fails to report at all. When the doctor needs to change settings, an USB cable would suffice — the only difference is that this can't be done sight unseen, but that's not a flaw, that's a feature. With this in mind, it would be trivial to make such a device very, very secure, by rendering irrelevant all the fool's errands and running battles of networks. Likewise, it would be easy to make such things highly resistant to malware.

Turbo Beholder

Your house needs doors so that you could get inside. It's part of the main function, your safe is a later addition.

Conversely, vast majority of medical equipment does not need wireless interface at all, let alone allowing to control anything through it. It's just obviously not a good idea.

A wireless interface is necessary only for real-time biometry or device diagnostics with alarm when things go wrong. In which case, the device can be separated into working and monitoring parts, former feeding signals into the latter in a way that's inherently read-only. It's trivial.

Turbo Beholder
WTF?

seriously?

Once more, together: "S" in "IoT" stands for "secure".

We've read the Mueller report. Here's what you need to know: ██ ██ ███ ███████ █████ ███ ██ █████ ████████ █████

Turbo Beholder
Devil

And now this article baited half of the world population of Trigglypuffs to frolic here. Great job!

Turbo Beholder
Alien

But you forgot…

You always forget: Russia controls Trump, but - Mars controls Russia!

> ██████ ████████ in San Francisco

I'll skip faking a surprise, okay?

Fake news? More like ache news. Grandma, grampa 'more likely' to share made-up articles during US election

Turbo Beholder

Re: Another example, just today - one of hundreds

Right now it may be greatly simplified: pro-State Dept/Soros/etc vs. everyone else.

See also video titled "Joe Biden Inappropriately Touches Ukraine".

Turbo Beholder
Trollface

Why are you sure this study itself isn't fake news?

What's with "crisis of reproducibility" and all.

Sometimes a rabbit hole just goes round and round.

Leave it to Beaver: Unity is long gone and you're on your GNOME

Turbo Beholder
Meh

Re: On the face of it

The difference is that Unity from the start was not designed as a coherent environment to be useful and even convenient, but rather as a widget collection to look well on screenshots and induce warm feelz in the fans of certain other OS. (e.g.: ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1745415&page=2#15)

Admittedly, I'm a Xubuntu fan… from the day Unity thing was dropped on us, give or take a few hours.

DoJ: Look! Google is giving up overseas data for warrants outside Second Circuit

Turbo Beholder

Google was an obvious front for spies for as long as they were more than a search engine. This merely gives the rest of the world good formal pretext to treat them accordingly.

Senators call for '9/11-style' commission on computer voting security

Turbo Beholder
Linux

Other than that, "OMG we lost a rigged election, it must be evil sorcery!"

But also, they use Wwhat? http://xkcd.com/463/

Portland posts full report on Uber's dirty dealings with Greyball

Turbo Beholder
Black Helicopters

Good point.

May be a campaign, indeed. When did these start?

Your top five dreadful people the Google manifesto has pulled out of the woodwork

Turbo Beholder
Childcatcher

Re: Hopeless

Short version -

SJWAL Second Law: SJWs Always Double Down.

Long version -

"Digital Maoism", like any socialist movement, is very fragile. Any time things go wrong for them, it's an existential threat. The more their dam breaks apart, the more it's obvious it was made of papier-mache to begin with. There's desperation.

They can't wait it out quietly, because for the crybullies there's no middle ground - they either ride triumphant or will be flushed down the drain. So they crank it up. Like this:

http://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/01/22/nothing-to-see-here-folks-just-a-trump-supporter-set-on-fire-during-the-inauguration/

Right now there's a moment of true unity (and revel in the knowledge that for a while they are safe from each other) in a rush to save the rotting corpse of Pink Terror (very paltry breed of Red Terror) - each does however much they dare: one sets a girl on fire, another swings a bicycle lock, Lena Dunham tier starts new witch-hunts, and Kieren McCarthy tier does not have status (inside or outside the pack) enough for this, so they advertise a case of successful disemployment as far and wide as possible.

Turbo Beholder
Facepalm

Re: I vote to add the clearly bigoted Kieren McCarthy in San Francisco.

> Actually you can condemn people for holding objectionable, indefensible, hurtful and unpleasant beliefs. And you should.

But when people here did exactly this, you protest again.

Specifically, it looks like a lot of the readers consider yet another variation of "I did not read Pasternak, but condemn him!" presented in your article an "indefensible and unpleasant belief" and, accordingly, condemn you for it.

You are in process of receiving a reward specifically prescribed by your own belief, according to yourself.

So what's your problem? That the people here are too decent, fastidious or lazy to burn you at the stake - or to disemploy you and then shriek and throw poo at you when you're down?

Turbo Beholder

Re: sigh...Again?

> Google management is not the first (nor will it be the last) to blunder down this mine-infested rocky road. It’s a case of smart people making dumb decisions.

Since it's Google with all its... antics, that's more a case of beast biting its own leg. With any luck, it will immobilise itself and then chew itself to death.

Turbo Beholder
Happy

Re: Diversity for Diversity's sake?

Which exactly parts of the memo do you consider the most "awful"?

Examples, please.

Turbo Beholder

Re: now we see the conservatives move on to Bing

Unfortunately, leaving the polyticks alone does not work - they do not reciprocate.

Very few witch-hunts try to go after someone with a megaphone, because most of those that do backfire.

Turbo Beholder
IT Angle

Re: I vote to add the clearly bigoted Kieren McCarthy in San Francisco.

So now Google will have to redefine another word. Not the first time.

Turbo Beholder
Linux

Re: Opinion Piece

It looks like something from a CNN columnist carbon-copied to a wrong mailbox.

Turbo Beholder

Re: Misconceptions, misinterpretations, fallacites, and flat-out fabrications

Why would a commissar allow anything to come "directly from the horse's mouth" when a strawman will suffice?

If we're in a simulation, someone hit it with a hammer, please: Milky Way spews up to 100 MEELLLION black holes

Turbo Beholder
IT Angle

A bug in stretching things until they fall apart for the sake of cargo cult (scientism). Not the first time.

Google diversity memo: Web giant repudiates staffer's screed for 'incorrect assumptions about gender'

Turbo Beholder
Linux

Re: Dare I say

It sounds like you support BOFH's Unequal Opportunities Policy!

He used to add "No offence." however. And even explained why.

Google, Amazon, Apple, Facebook blow massive amounts lobbying Trump administration

Turbo Beholder
Trollface

Is it the same Google that censors results and hides search suggestions to catch any dirt falling on the socialists, and occasionally does even more laughable things, like redefining words in the dictionary?

Judge uses 1st Amendment on Pokemon Go park ban. It's super effective!

Turbo Beholder

Re: Pokemon not gone yet?

The concern is moot, but the company's money still exist.

Follow the money, not the concern.

Turbo Beholder

The tune is familiar, the lyrics are never-ending.

Every problem, indeed, can be solved with "Everything can magically work out with some more tax money" and "Everybody must support degenerate clones of Lysenko".

And if it somehow remains, this only means there's need for more other people's money and more cheerleading for quacks-of-the-season (or both at once: throwing more other people's money at quacks).

Turbo Beholder
Pirate

THE POOL IS CLOSED DUE TO AIDS AND STINGRAYS (who also have aids) desu desu desu

He's right and has very good points.

But game-the-system potential is enormous.

Which place is the next to be DoS'd with the weaponized herds of weaboo?

Note that the risk of just helping the surprise party hosts is minimal, because the target audience can be easily chosen via fine-tuning content - the players of "1810: The Reconstruction", "Ponies & Unicorns" and "More Than One Way To Skin A Cat" are very unlikely to be the same crowd.

Worried about election hacking? There's a technology fix – Helios

Turbo Beholder

Re: "Because you can"

Perhaps need to add "yet another proposition" to ballots at the last moment would appear less often if they were made with less haste and more thinking through to begin with?

Can "WE MUST HAVE A VOTE ON IT RIGHT NOW" possibly be an actual problem more often than an attempt to push something right now because in another week more facts may become public and the campaign will go belly up?

Turbo Beholder

Re: It's total bollocks

This can happen in any solution.

Turbo Beholder
Trollface

Same old? http://xkcd.com/463/

Kill Google AMP before it kills the web

Turbo Beholder
Trollface

> Anybody can cram an illegitimate idea into a web page and – so long as it's encoded as AMP content – it'll look like it's from a legit new organization endorsed by Google.

Oh, come on… "legit" or "endorsed by Google"? It helped two most odious cargo cults, after all (Hubbard's and Mann's).

Good job, everyone. We're making AI just as tediously racist and sexist as ourselves

Turbo Beholder
Linux

Your continued presumption to speak for "everyone" is noted.

Also, this:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Print/2005/02/11/bofh_2005_episode_5/

Ubuntu UNITY is GNOME-MORE: 'One Linux' dream of phone, slab, desktop UI axed

Turbo Beholder
Linux

Unity always seemed to me to be a pile of widgets built for one and only purpose of making Mac fanboys go "SQUEE!". It had a scrollbar miniaturized AND auto-hiding. What's the point?

I switched to XUbuntu immediately after getting over attempts to figure out how that weird thing which replaced window panel in Unity can be actually useable.

President Donald Trump taken on by unlikely foe: Badass park rangers

Turbo Beholder
Alien

Re: no bias nor inflamatory tone, move along

>sorry, but when the author uses terms like "President Snowflake"

That's just SJWAL rule #3: "SJWs always project". =)

And we all know who pushes this particular scam.

>I mean, the data is out there, so how can ANYONE actually BELIEVE that CRAP???

Those who advertise it don't believe it themselves - except maybe "useful idiots" ("Do you want a cola with that?"). Which is why if you get all fired up, you are pretty much arguing with a TV screen.

Quoth interview of Patrick Moore, in the very Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/08/patrick_moore_greenpeace_dropout/):

> when I see the NGOs themselves in sackcloth and ashes, then I might put some truck by what they're saying.

> That was 12,000 NGOs – not counting the bureaucrats.

> There tens of thousands more bureaucrats. And there are four of five of these conferences a year.

> Yet here they are telling us we all must stop flying ...

Turbo Beholder
Coat

That's fine. Siberia has more than enough of space for all the Climate Refugees™ who want to put the money where their mouths are and find the new home.

Turbo Beholder
Alien

Oh, please.

>I came to the conclusion that the purpose of communist propaganda was not to persuade

> or convince, not to inform, but to humiliate; and therefore, the less it corresponded to reality

> the better. When people are forced to remain silent when they are being told the most

> obvious lies, or even worse when they are forced to repeat the lies themselves, they

> lose once and for all their sense of probity.

> -Theodore Dalrymple

The promoters know well that the whole apocalyptic cult of the Hockey Schtick is a scam - or the biggest ones won't be frequent fliers.

Now, believing that everyone else is enough of an idiot that this scam will hold water even without witch-hunts and censorship - THAT's a desperate self-deception.

Soon only Ticketmaster will rip you off: Concert scalper bots face US ban

Turbo Beholder
Childcatcher

Indeed. Therefore what we see is likely to be yet another case of digging under something else entirely under pretence of an idolatrous scare.

Admittedly, it's not as big as "think of teh childern", "clean power", etc but the spirit can be the same on a smaller scale and while scamming a different crowd.

Turbo Beholder

Indeed.

This bullshit is so old, it's completely fossilized.

"Surely THIS TIME one more stupid law will make an economical niche and problems that created it magically disappear" - watch Episode 99993.

Turbo Beholder
Facepalm

So let me get this straight...

It's really cheaper to buy a bunch of lobbyist once than to introduce it as a corporate policy and have an admin competent enough to implement it?

Vatican and musicians at odds over appropriate use of crematorium leftovers

Turbo Beholder
IT Angle

Shortage of ashes? Samsung to the rescue!

Obama says USA has world's biggest and best cyber arsenal

Turbo Beholder
Linux

Re: Lead by example

What will they do? USA is going to remain the Happy Hunting Ground for botnets no matter what.

Australia's Telstra and Optus outed as two of the world's six most expensive ISPs

Turbo Beholder
Pirate

Clodflare, seriously?

In other words, the fattest server-side censorship provider on the whole internet points an accusing finger at two fattest client-side censorship providers in Australia.

While they are probably right about the prices, the author here have a curious way of picking the independent experts to heed.

CERN staff conduct 'human sacrifice' at supercollider site

Turbo Beholder
IT Angle

Re: I get where they are coming from

It's only in the ancient Spectrum era you could get away with using a random cat.

To have servers healthy, or at least not bugging out for very long, you need to work a tambourine. Preferably with proper logos painted on it.

Turbo Beholder
Trollface

Funny. I would expect this from American uniderpsities, but a research center in Europe?

Where it rolls, indeed..

Page:

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020