6 posts • joined 3 Apr 2008
I live in the only area of the UK that isn't covered by British Telecom (Hull) which means that, with the exception of a few small wireless backhaul providers, we only have one ISP to choose from - Karoo. This makes phone and broadband in the Hull region amongst the most expensive in the country.
I pay £50 a month for my unlimited fibre bundle which includes 100 Mbps FTTH, line rental, unlimited local and national calls, free calls to special numbers like 0845 and 0870, and 3 hours of calls to mobiles. My actual download speed varies between 100-120 Mbps, i.e. I often get slightly faster than the advertised speed (I could have 350 Mbps if I were prepared to pay £100/month for it).
We download a lot of stuff in HD so in an average month we get through 300-400 GB of data, and we've never had a warning letter or anything.
Think it was on Saturday afternoon, couldn't find Google (.com or .co.uk) or YouTube in DNS, and couldn't log on to Google Talk, for a period of a few hours. All other sites that I tried were fine. This was from my home Linux and Windows boxes, as well as the web browser on my Wii, and tried resetting the Bebox several times. Think that it must have been localised to my ISP (Be Unlimited) or my exchange, as I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.
Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020