1) I did not realise that Sony had put their customer database up on teh torrentz. Can you give me teh upload codez?
2) Sony appear to have applied security to some aspects of their data, but not others. What is the ICO's position on encrypting personal data?
3) Unlike most government offices, I don't read anything in the story about Sony putting this data on an unencrypted USB stick.
4) Sony are a shower of anti-free-market asshats (rootkits, GeoHotz etc) and deserve everything they get, but I don't see how this suit helps. This is a *global* problem and needs to be addressed at a state level. The countries involved (i.e. just about everyone) should demand that Sony make good any loses and have ID theft teams.
5) *IF* one suffers a loss, *IF* one has evidence that Sony is responsible and *IF* Sony do not make good, then one should sue. *IF* this happens repeatedly, then the courts should consider punitive damages/prosecution.
Just IMHO of course.