Hull - Centre of the World - Not!
It's by all means interesting to read the comments from the readers of the Kingston Com article and broadband.
First, Hull didn't survive the fishery wars between Iceland and England, especially after the seriously bungled negotiations by the local Hull MP - Mr Prescott ( Yes, the infamous Mr Two Jags ) and as the notoriously aggressive port tradeunion resisted any attempts from larger companies to establish bases at Hull harbor for EU export. As a result, Hull is basically dead as a corporate hub even if the City Council refuses to accept it... As we all know, any City Council can revamp any city by spending taxpayers money on citywide plantations etc. Dooh! Besides, Hull University is not renowned for producing well educated youngsters so why should any IT or other technology companies bother ( except for the cheap labor in Hull... )
Now then, look at the market! 250,000 peeps? Shure, but let's look at the numbers!
27% unemployment?! Let us assume that one person of 2.5 inhabitants works to or are seeking work. Of those 73% that work, 40% are on national minimum wage. Let's do the math now - guesstimate that 100,000 is working or looking for work. 27% of these are unemployed = 73,000 persons are working. 40% of these are on minimum wage so the rest - 60% of 73,000 = 43,800 potential customers for Kingston.
If we look at the UK broadband average numbers, say 30% of the population have broadband - 30% of 43,800 = 13,140 broadband punters!!!
Well then, let us use generous figures and say that 25,000 punters have broadband.
Who in the right state of mind can believe that this would be a lucrative market for BT or anyone else? Seriously?
First, to win over new punters, you need to present a lower price for the same or better service. Many ISP's pay for their fibres on a kilometer basis ( miles ) and as Hull is at the end of the World, this EXPENSIVE. I guess the nearest major node to be in Leeds.
Combine this with a low buying power from the locals and you have a market none want to invest in.
And to defend Kingston Comms, the numbers are stacked against them as well!
So stop whinging about not having any competing ISP's here, AOL tried but didn't make any money, I guess BT just cannot be bothered either and as most alternative ISP's have the small print "BT Line required" - dream on...
If you look at Hull in general, there is a lack of medium sized as well as large companies, which in hindsight is absolutely self explanatory.
Now then, don't take my guesstimated figures for facts -do your business model