This is a useful cautionary tale, but I'm always amazed by how uncommon common sense and curiosity are.
My checklist before going on holiday for a week seems to be more detailled than Bernd's checklist before moving country for a permanent new job.
1) Do I know anyone I trust personally who can talk me through what happens when I arrive in Amsterdam? Ideally can they put me up for a few days?
2) Is there an ex-pat group online? Is my country well represented there? Are they active and able to support me with information?
3) Where am I staying. How long for?
4) How much money do I need? Do I have it? Can the relocation company help?
5) How does emergency medical care work? (especially if I have a fricking condition that needs to be managed!).
6) What are my work obligations for the first weeks while I'm settling in? How do I balance those with getting set up? Is my boss onboard?
It's not rocket science, is it?