* Posts by Master

1 post • joined 2 Aug 2006

Can you die from testing a 9V battery on your tongue?

Master

Neither ohm-meters nor 9V are dangerous

Greetings,

I am a US Sailor, that has been an electrician for 19 years. When I was a kid, I used to put 9V batteries on my tongue to check if they were good or not. A 9V battery does not push enough amps to kill you.

As a matter of fact, if you feel the need to put the contact leads of an ohm-meter into your body..... that will not kill you either.

Also, one more food for thought, many of us have played with meggers in our careers. They just give a real big jolt, but then again there is not enough amps to kill you.

A megger is similiar to the old arcade games that you would hold onto the two handles as the game would pass a small amount of voltage through and then slowly increase it till hopefully you will let go.

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020