* Posts by Gene Cash

3302 posts • joined 22 Mar 2007

Why does that website take forever to load? Clues: Three syllables, starts with a J, rhymes with crock of sh...

Gene Cash Silver badge

Not just ads

I use AdBlock's "element hider" to get rid of obnoxious things like navigation headers/footers that take up a good 20%-25% of the page.

Dratted hipster UX designers stole my corporate app

Gene Cash Silver badge

Downvoted for link shortener...

Banking in 2019: Sure, we'd recommend TSB's online, mobe banking say cowed customers

Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Weird thing about the brands

Sure, but perhaps one section is competent and the other is not?

I've seen this a lot in national chains in the US... one store couldn't find a bomb if it blew their foot off, and the other one is polite, knows what's in stock and where it is, and can make intelligent recommendations.

Usually the better store is then closed.

'This collaboration is absolutely critical going forward'... One positive thing about Meltdown CPU hole? At least it put aside tech rivalries...

Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: why people don't patch

There's also the manpower and downtime involved in just doing the patches, even if they're effective and functional. With Windows patching, considering it takes a crap about every other session, requiring me to Google obscure error numbers and deal with it, that's a non-trivial level of effort.

How do you like them Apples? Tim Cook's iPhones sitting in the tree, feeling unloved by the Chinese

Gene Cash Silver badge

Huawei

I hear the Chinese are buying Huawei phones instead of Apple, as a middle-finger to the treatment of Huawei by the West.

You live by the sword, you die by the sword.

Airbus will shutter its A380 production line from 2021

Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: So long and thanks for all the airmiles

> However, the load of the plane from Sydney to DBX was sparse, to the point that some lucky buggers got a full four seats in the middle aisle to themselves.

And there's the kicker. Airlines can't afford that.

No fax given: Blighty's health service bods told to ban snail mail, too

Gene Cash Silver badge

"An email sent to the wrong address could be the difference between life and death"

I've seen so many people put my email as jeancash, genekash, etc... DESPITE my pains taken to spell it out slowly.

Granddaddy of the DIY repair generation John Haynes has loosened his last nut

Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: RIP

I asked for "the service manual" when I bought my '82 Tercel, and they tossed me the Haynes. That was a very nice intro to the series.

Haynes was hard to find in the US, being overshadowed by Clymers, but Clymers had horrid "pictures" which were usually an illegible puddle of ink, and the Haynes was either a diagram or a well-done photo, so they were worth the extra effort to track down.

I remember a bookstore clerk giving me a Clymers, and being miffed that I wasn't satisfied with it, and arguing "what's the difference!?" - that was quickly settled when he did get the Haynes and compared them.

Fun fact: GPS uses 10 bits to store the week. That means it runs out... oh heck – April 6, 2019

Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Wasn't this handled last time?

This wasn't the Y2K bug, despite being 1999, it was the timestamp rollover as per the article.

Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Yay landfill!

I stopped using Garmin because the maps are STILL about 15 years out of date in my area, and the company is a complete Apple-style we-know-better-than-you dick.

I stopped using TomTom after my device with lifetime maps stopped functioning because the maps got too big, and the response from TomTom support was basically "sucks to be you, buy a new device" and they refused to re-section the maps to fit... so "lifetime" ended up being about 11 months.

Gene Cash Silver badge

Wasn't this handled last time?

As the article says, this happened in 1999 and I remember the panic then, but wouldn't this now be a known thing?

The UK's Cairncross Review calls for Google, Facebook to be regulated – and life support for journalism

Gene Cash Silver badge

About the current newspaper situation

This is very illuminating by a guy that was there.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1088503510184927233.html?fbclid=IwAR1-Bks1rX4xpoQ9JmuSSlrrBc1gcjV-khvF5Ri_7FobvrsAU3--pNR2JuY

Look at the original Twitter thread for corroborating tweets by other journalists.

The gimlet gaze of Azure to be turned upon UK footpads thanks to cop-friendly analytics

Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Different across the pond

Yeah, I made a call "I'm watching a guy trying to steal my motorcycle"

In about 3 minutes he was on the ground with a pistol aimed at him. I was most impressed.

I've seen the BBC articles on London crime... you guys sure don't get your taxes-worth in police!

First they came for Equifax and we did nothing because America. Now they are coming for back-end systems and we're...

Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Blackface?

Or offended by coal miners with real soot on their faces

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/2019/01/28/downtown-phoenix-photo-men-soot-blackface/2683881002/

Uncle Sam to its friends around the world: You can buy technology the easy way, or the Huawei

Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: "it also makes it more difficult for America to be present"

No kidding. There's quite a few European space companies where the main benefit is "no USA inside" so that their equipment is not subject to ITAR.

OK, Google. Music in 2019 isn't what it was, but Play nice, will ya?

Gene Cash Silver badge
Facepalm

Apple music

Hate them as much as I do, and being an Android Fanboi, I still have an iTunes account for buying music, because Apple gives me an unencumbered file that plays just fine in whatever software on my Linux box after I copy it from my Windows VM.

How I got horizontal with a gimp and untangled his cables

Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: "I'd wear a boiler suit or ex-RAF surplus jumpsuit if I could"

> A carabiner makes an excellent keyfob, and can easily be clipped to a belt loop.

And has the advantage of keeping you out of jury duty, as it's apparently a huge security risk.

When I asked what I should do with my keys, I was ordered by the security-droid to lock them in my vehicle.

Seriously.

So I said "I'm riding a motorcycle, I don't have any doors to lock"

Security-droid was stumped. And I was ordered out of the building. With police escort.

When I called the court clerk next day, she was sufficiently annoyed at the shenanigans that she let me out of jury duty entirely.

LibreOffice 6.2 is here: Running up a Tab at the NotebookBar? You can turn it all off if you want

Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: 646464

Well, actually native 64 bit code ensures 32 bit cleanliness. You don't have the opportunity to use upper "unused" bits for flags'n'stuff and other nasty hacks.

The major reason is that "stuff doesn't fit in 32 bit"

For example, Kerbal Space Program dropped 32 bit because textures and object models were getting too big to fit, especially with all the hi-res art rework going on.

(The funny thing is that KSP was the sole reason that I converted my Debian box to 64 bit in 2013, because it ran so much better than all the other versions, including the Windows versions.)

Freedom! Diodes Inc saves Scottish fab from closure in £50m buyout

Gene Cash Silver badge
Thumb Up

This Model M keyboard I'm typing on was made in Greenock in mid-1996, according to the data plate on the bottom...

So they make good stuff!

Website programming? Pffft, so 2011. Python's main squeeze is now data science, apparently

Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Re Good job Python isn't a syntax Nazi.

> When things get too complicated

It's nice when we can work on small and simple things that we have complete control over everything, including code style, isn't it?

Some day you'll work on a real software project where other people just don't give a shit except pumping out LOC and management does not enforce its own style guidelines, and when you reformat things, you get beat up for too many code changes. But they pay well, so I just have another bottle.

Pants-purveyor in plea for popularity: It's not just any pork push... it's an M&S 'love sausage'

Gene Cash Silver badge

> two slightly bent sausages gently touching tips

Well at least they're not leaving out the LGBT groups now...

Good to see they're being inclusive!

Che tiara! Revolutionary cloud commune fitted for Red Hat developers

Gene Cash Silver badge

Glad IBM is buying RedHat

Maybe Lennart Poettering will end up in line at the unemployment office.

I hope he ends up on a street corner selling pencils out of a cup.

Not that I'm bitter...

Congrats, Satya Nadella. In just five years, you've turned Microsoft from Neutral Evil to, er, merely True Neutral

Gene Cash Silver badge
Happy

Typo or subtle swipe?

"Microsoft 364 basket"

Snigger... giggle.

Apple solemnly agrees to pay France $570m in back taxes, turns to camera, gives us a wink

Gene Cash Silver badge

It's not bullshit

I try to pay all the taxes we're legally required to pay. I'm not rich enough nor are my finances complex enough to have a staff accountant looking for loopholes.

But a loophole is a loophole. If they didn't want it there, they shouldn't have left it open. I think it's unfair to essentially change the law after the fact. Passing new laws to close the loophole is fine. Being "subjected to the current proposed tax backdated ten years" is bullshit.

I hate Apple for many, many reasons and will never again own one of their products (I was stupid enough to buy an iPad once) but this is not something they should be stuck with.

Our vulture listened to four hours of obtuse net neutrality legal blah-blah so you don't have to: Here's what's happening

Gene Cash Silver badge
Pint

Thank you

I had to read it 3 times to get most of the details, but I want to say thanks for a good clean writeup.

A better case for Mr. McCarthy -->

I'm a crime-fighter, says FamilyTreeDNA boss after being caught giving folks' DNA data to FBI

Gene Cash Silver badge

Actually, I don't see a problem...

Hm. It's kind of like posting Twitters and then complaining the government can see your tweets.

(Actually, I'd **PAY** NOT to see my government's tweets!! Via Twitter, the New York Times, or any damn body else - and you know who I'm talkin' 'bout!)

Oh cool, the Bluetooth 5.1 specification is out. Nice. *control-F* master-slave... 2,000 results

Gene Cash Silver badge

> you could use e.g. SLIP and then IP networking

Sure, but in the end, it would WORK.

Bluetooth does all that, but buries it 6 layers deep in a really shitty, slipshod, one-size-does-not-fit-all protocol that only works after (usually) a lot of screaming and yelling and throwing things.

Gene Cash Silver badge

Bluetooth has gotten better... but it still really sucks.

Stuff still has limited (or no) ability to pair with multiple devices - what?! I might want to use this expensive Bluetooth keyboard with something other than my phone?! You mean I might want to pair my $900 motorcycle helmet communications with more than one phone? Heretic!

Stuff still sort of assumes it'll be paired with stuff from the same manufacturer.

I tried setting up a Bluetooth beacon on my motorcycle, to activate my garage door app when I got on it. Never got it working after weeks of coding.

Gene Cash Silver badge

Here ya go... a snowflake gets offended that coal miners covered in soot look like blackface.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/2019/01/28/downtown-phoenix-photo-men-soot-blackface/2683881002/

That's the sort of first-world crap happening today.

Musk shows off the latest power plant for Starship, replaces Tesla CFO with a millennial

Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Methane?

However, the RD-170 never flew.

Interestingly enough, it shares the same exotic full-flow staged-combustion cycle that the Raptor has.

The F1 was kind of a dog because we were in a hurry, and also breaking new ground. A lot of the engine was an educated guess.

Techie finds himself telling caller there is no safe depth of water for operating computers

Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: No water stories but

> One colleague, was questioned at gunpoint by security

At uni, some students (AKA cheap labor) were running network cables.

We discovered the hard way that the robotics lab had silent ceiling sensors to protect the very expensive robots, and these went straight to the uni police department.

OK, smarty pants AI. You can beat us humans at video games. But how about real-world puzzles like Jenga? Oh, oh no

Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: OK, I'll bite ...

> fastening system is different

Not really, because there's only a small finite number of assembly systems.

How big is the UK space industry? It hauled in £14.8bn for 2016/2017 – report

Gene Cash Silver badge
Flame

Thank ITAR

Lots of people pay extra for space things not touched by Americans and their onerous regulations.

Apple: Good news, everyone – sales are less bad than we thought. Not amazing but not bad. $84bn is $84bn, tho

Gene Cash Silver badge

More and more...

The "Cupertino idiot-tax operation..."

Sad relics of UK launch capability returned to Blighty while NASA fiddles with Boeing crew

Gene Cash Silver badge
Unhappy

The US one-ups the UK again...

> The UK has the dubious distinction of being the only country to have successfully developed, then dumped, the capability to launch satellites

Well, we tossed away the ability to put people on the Moon, so there ya go...

In 40 short years, this country went from landing on the Moon to "This Bag Is Not A Toy"

Microsoft decides Internet Explorer 10 has had its fun: Termination set for January 2020

Gene Cash Silver badge

Well, sometimes the 1960's Morris Minor is the only thing with the right connections to get the job done.

You don't like it much, but you sit and deal with it.

Unfortunately, I can only use Firefox 43 because later versions dropped a ton of features I depend on. So did Pale Moon and Waterfox, so there's no alternative.

> it literally doesn't work on Chrome at all

Hm, I don't consider this a problem.

Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Browsers

I use FF 43 (because 44 removed fine-grain cookie control) and Pale Moon 27 (same reason) and I just update the user-agent until the bank or whatever quits whining. I've never seen an issue with that.

I ran into a Mozilla developer at KSC the other day. I said "how can you be a developer if all you do is *remove* features?"

For some reason, he never spoke to me again. Good riddance.

Raspberry Pi Foundation says its final farewells to 40nm with release of Compute Module 3+

Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Good & Bad news

Eh, my garage door unit died. It's an '80s-era unit, with a beefy motor the size of a hatbox, and the H-bridge stuff still worked, so I hooked up a Pi plus some magnetic travel sensors, and optical beams to detect stuff under the door.

The current units have motors the size of a soda can and take something like 8x as long to raise the door. I tried one and returned it because it was shite.

I then proceeded to hook it up to the local network, and made it accessible from my phone, with TLS client certificates. Now when I get to 65 meters of my door, it magically opens and I just ride in. It detects me riding in, then automatically closes the door.

I've looked, and "controlling your garage door" is basically the HELLO WORLD of Raspberry Pi

FTC gets back to work: Now, where were we? Break up Facebook and fine it $2bn, you say?

Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Three companies that need to be broken up...

No. At least not for Amazon.

They're the only company able to ship me product on time without major screwups, and when they do screw up (or I screw up and order the wrong thing) then they quickly rectify it.

As opposed to the nightmare of ordering from NewEgg or other places. For example, NewEgg hasn't been able to get it's head out of its ass and refund me for a monitor stand where they sent me a wall mount instead, and this was from before Christmas. Plus any number of motorcycle apparel/parts/tires places that can't ship me a simple set of o-rings, or fairing rivets, or the right size helmet visor.

Edit: and the major problem with NewEgg is you can't email their customer service. You have a choice of chat or phone. I don't have time for that. Whoever was on chat was an idiot.

Florida man's deadliest catch forces police to evacuate Taco Bell

Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: What was the grenade doing there?

Ocala is a really remote rural area even today, so in WW-II it was a prime training area. The Pinecastle range nearby is still active. There's been problems with new subdivisions where they've found munition dumping grounds and have had to spend a lot of money cleaning up.

Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Irony

That's the city seal. Those are the Seminole indians, who are rather respected around there.

Source: I grew up in Ocala.

And it's a practice of the US government to put stupid religious sayings on things, like the "in god we trust" crap on the coinage.

> feather not red dot

Nice. Now who's the racist one?

Users fail to squeak through basic computer skills test. Well, it was the '90s

Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Mouse balls

> Single ended cotton buds

Hm. In 50+ years, I've never seen a single-ended q-tip. They always have cotton on both ends. If I need a "pokey bit" I usually end up snapping them in half. Fortunately they're paper sticks now, as there used to be hollow plastic ones that just bent, no matter the amount of force.

Oof, are you sure? Facing $9bn damages, Google asks Supreme Court to hear Java spat

Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Supreme Court... and computers?

> You need to use similes they can understand, e.g. "like copyrighting the shape of the electric outlet, so nobody could make an outlet or a plug without their permission".

Unfortunately, I can see them saying "oh that's fine!"

As netizens, devs scream bloody murder over Chrome ad-block block, Googlers insist: It's not set in stone (yet)

Gene Cash Silver badge

Translation

> We are working with extension developers to strive to keep this breakage to a minimum

"We'll send 'em an email to fix their shit and use the new API or we'll delist their extension"

Q. China just landed on its far side, the US woz there 50 years ago – now Europe wants to mine it? A. It's the Moon

Gene Cash Silver badge

Suuure, they will...

If I had a dollar for every time someone said "in about 10 years we'll do [space thing]" and it didn't happen, I'd be able to buy my own Falcon Heavy/Crew Dragon flight to the Moon.

On the bright side, Scott Manley talks about the projects monitoring Lunar impacts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smp7TqccTpY

We all love bonking to pay, but if you bonk with a Windows Phone then Microsoft has bad news

Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: NFC? No fucking chance.

Use Magisk to root your phone, and it successfully hides itself from the SafetyNet checks.

So basically it's white-hat malware.

I don't even have NFC and I don't do anything requiring SafetyNet anyway, but hey...

A Delta IV Heavy heads for space at last while New Horizons' fumes OK for 'future missions'

Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: The Delta IV Heavy.

> synchronised landings are much more impressive

Holy crap they are... I saw that sh*t in person and I'm still not convinced it wasn't CGI. It was unreal to watch.

Clone your own Prince Phil, says eBay seller hawking debris left over from royal car crash

Gene Cash Silver badge
Pint

> Because who doesn't want a shambling Imperial hangover wheezing inappropriate comments over your shoulder?

I do! I'd buy him a pint and listen to his stories.

He's not half 1/10th as racist as my grandfather and other relatives.

Apple hardware priced so high that no one wants to buy it? It's 1983 all over again

Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: A reminder of how crap Apple products are

As a guy using Linux since before 0.99pl13... I can say GIMP sucks galaxies through a millipore filter.

The Iceman cometh, his smartwatch told the cops: Hitman jailed after gizmo links him to Brit gangland slayings

Gene Cash Silver badge
FAIL

"Massey died in a fusillade of bullets"

Good to see that English gun control is working!

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019