Reply to post: It's probably not actually "bad".

Beer gut-ted: As many as '70 million pints' spoiled during coronavirus pandemic must be destroyed in Britain

jake Silver badge
Pint

It's probably not actually "bad".

Chances are good that it's still quite drinkable, but the flavo(u)r doesn't age all that well[0]. There certainly shouldn't be any health issues ... part of the reason humans started fermenting plant sugars in the first place was to preserve them.

They should re-label it to reflect this and sell it at a small markup over cost ... I'll bet you a dollar that pints of John Smith's or the Broon that are several months past their sell by date, but labeled as such and priced at, say, 50% of a newer pint, would absolutely fly off the shelves.

Your Government could do it's part by changing applicable laws to allow it, and waiving taxes on the older beer, thus helping to stimulate the economy. Talk about patriotic! Drink old ale for England!

[0] This can be fixed with a simple recipe change. Barleywines (for example) can often be aged for years, or even decades. Many variations get much better with age. I started putting away several cases of Anchor Brewing's Old Foghorn every year back in '92. The Wife and I split a bottle once in a while, the old ones are absolutely fantastic.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon