Reply to post: Also Microsoft

If American tech is used to design or make that chip, you better not ship it to Huawei, warns Uncle Sam

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Also Microsoft

Huawei still makes laptops with Microsoft installed on them. A lot of Chinese companies do, you should also block Microsoft from selling to those companies. I think its terrible that Microsoft are allowed to bypass the restriction and supply China!

And Microsoft products are also on Huawei's app store, Skype lite, MS Office, Bing, all these breaking sanctions. And of course Microsoft Windows is being used to design chips for Huawei in China, so Microsoft are in violation of this if they don't put a stop to that!

OK, I'm being disingenuous, my Huawei TabPro is slightly easier to remove the Baidu spyware than the Google spyware. The few chips that came from the USA (wifi filters etc.) they replaced. So from my point of view USA cannot make an Android Tablet without China, but China apparently can make an Android Tablet without USA. I'd also like a PC without Microsoft, and this pushes China to do that too.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out of global trade!

--------------

@"That means that even if the semiconductors were commissioned or designed by Huawei and manufactured by foundries outside of the States, the chips will still be subject to export limits if the manufacturing processes use any US equipment or design tools"

Europe of course didn't follow USA in this sanction. China has its own foundaries, and TSMC is a Taiwan based foundary, they won't follow this rule either. They will however probably cancel that Arizona chip manufacturing plant to avoid this liability:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2020-05-15/tsmc-plans-12-billion-u-s-chip-plant-in-arizona-video

------------

As an aside.

Look, I see you're doing the "China China China" thing. Trump is trying to distract while opening up plague states. You know what he's doing and what their planning is really really really bad. I get he's trying to work up hate against China to distract from his actions, I don't get why you're complicit in it.

UK Chatham House think tank (John Major et al) is doing its "China Covid recovery is all fake news". etc.. to try to help that. The problem with that game is lots of countries are also successful with quarantine, are they also lying? Is New Zealand lying? Is Vietnam? Thailand? Japan? France? Germany?.... OK, so that's a lost cause, if China was lying they would have tens of millions of bodies to hide. And the problem with Chatham House trying to help in that lie, is that he's pushing states to open up before they're clear of Covid. So they will have a second wave, and you will be complicit in that.

The UK-US special relationship is between the UK *people* and the USA *people*, not the guy they didn't vote for. Just because he needs to distract Americans from the death toll he's about to hit them with, doesn't mean you have to help hide the bodies.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon