Reply to post: Tatronics

What does £55 get you in the noise-cancelling headphones world? Something like the Taotronics SoundSurge 85

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Tatronics

I'm generally suspicious of companies that "make" a relatively... exotic range of gadgets (desk lamps v. phone dashmounts v. headphones). However, I hate to say this, I have found taotronics headphones excellent (as long as I remember it's an excellence within the price range, and they exceed my expectations for what I can get for this price). I bought one, older model for my daughter, she's happy (obviously, a teenager), and I've been using one newer tt model myself (obviously, an old fart). Sure, the sound quality is poor, in comparison with the usual suspects in the £200 - £300 price bracket, but quite ok for general, on the road, cable-free "experience". Noise cancellation is far from perfect, but not bad either (which annoys my wife, for all the usual reasons). They pair quickly, range is decent, control is clunky, but simple (no f... around with an app that works until it breaks down in next update, etc.). When hung on the neck their fold flat against you, unlike one other known brand (yes, bose, it's you). They're sturdy, they fold, unlikely one other known brand (yes, bose, it's you again), and come with a semi-hard case. Last a long time between charges, charge quickly and turn off after a few minutes when not in use. They are comfy, though a bit hot. They cost me 40 quid. I would pay a lot more to get significantly much better sound, but I'm pretty sure this is unlikely to ever happen. All I can see in new models are general improvements in line with technology - shorter charging times, longer-lasting, usb-c, etc. And, really, even the better brands use sound compression, which kind of goes against the idea of hi-resolution, or even regular hi-fi. But hey, that's the trade off for cable free. Actually, for high quality on the cheap (dirt cheap) I use cabled superlux hd681b (20 quid + 10 extra for velvety pads :)

So, thumbs up to TT

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon