Reply to post: Re: UKGovt hacked in 3,2,1....

Just because we're letting Zoom into Parliament doesn't mean you can have fun, House of Commons warns Brit MPs

Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: UKGovt hacked in 3,2,1....

I suspect a certain amount of Dunning-Kruger in the Zoom offices. I don't know him myself, but a friend of mine knows Eric Yuan, CEO of Zoom; and my friend says Yuan is smart and generally well-informed on technological matters, and alert to potential issues.

So I suspect - based only on this testimonial, mind - that the Zoom development team were told to make security a priority, but lacked the necessary expertise, and weren't aware they lacked the expertise. That would explain one of their most famous blunders, the use of ECB. ECB says "we knew we needed encryption, so we threw in a library and picked some settings without understanding the consequences". Similarly their incorrect1 use of the term "end-to-end encryption" seems more likely due to a failure to employ security experts than a disregard of security.

That might seem like splitting hairs, and I'm not advocating for Zoom. (I don't use it myself.) But I do think there's a difference in attitude and culpability between Zoom and, say, Voatz. The latter can I think be justifiably accused of both a cavalier attitude toward security and a hostile one toward being called out on it. Zoom, on the other hand, seem to be making good-faith efforts to fix things.

1In the casual, common sense of "not as understood as a term of art in the industry". In the strict sense there's no governing authority specifying a precise meaning of the term, so they weren't incorrect in any prescriptive sense.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon