Reply to post: It's not Musk's space to debase - it's ours to be shared?

How's your night sky looking? The Reg chats to astroboffin Mark McCaughrean about Starlink and leaving a mark

HippyChippy

It's not Musk's space to debase - it's ours to be shared?

I went outside the other night with my 'grab & go' scope with the intention of brushing up on my constellations knowledge - that bit to the left of Leo where The Realm of the Galaxies is supposed to be, and was utterly dismayed by an evenly spaced stream of lights in a train overhead, one after another after another sliding into view. Counting a 9th then 10th in the sky where I wanted to look - how many fuckin' more are there? - then an 11th and finally a 12th. Shocked. Utterly gutted. Dismayed for Humanity. This isn't the joy of seeing the multinational ISS briefly overhead with humans on board, this is the realisation that some American outfit has sold another American outfit the permission to vandalise my night sky - our night sky, for Musk's commercial enrichment.

If you'd been out astro-imaging you could delete that 5 minutes of polluted footage and work with the filesize you already had, but if you're out and wondering at the night sky with just your thoughts and the Mk1 Eyeball then.. sigh!

I'm profoundly dismayed at our loss.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon