Reply to post: Re: But I don't have a so-called "smart" phone.

It's time to track people's smartphones to ensure they self-isolate during this global pandemic, says WHO boffin

jake Silver badge

Re: But I don't have a so-called "smart" phone.

In my case, it's quite a bit simpler than that. First of all, I was responding directly to Professor Marylouise McLaws of the World Health Organization who said we should all be required to click on an app on a smart phone when directed to do so by that app. I don't have a smart phone, don't run any apps, and thus can never click on that app. This is not subject to change.

Not included in the thinking in my original is the fact that I rarely carry my portable phone at all. I don't like being electronically leashed. Being at the beck and call of damn near everybody, 24/7, is far, far more annoying than not having a phone available to me whenever I want one. Very, very, very rare emergencies included[0]. In fact, the only time I make sure to carry one is if I'm planning on driving (or flying) more than a couple hundred miles from home, and/or staying overnight.

This is hardly a new thought on my part, see my post from over 8 years ago: https://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/containing/1319532

[0] I can't remember the last time I had such an emergency when I wasn't at home and in easy reach of a land-line. Can you? Accidents on the freeway, reporting wildfires, and the like don't count ... there are always plenty of happily tethered consumers to call in such rare events.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon