Reply to post: Re: Overselling?

Forget toilet roll, bandwidth is the new ration: Amazon, YouTube also degrade video in Europe to keep 'net running amid coronavirus crunch

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Overselling?

"This is wrong, in so many ways..."

Hmmm.

Netflix does provide hardware (Open Connect appliances) assuming the ISP is large enough to be able to support the requirements (basically the ability to peer with a Netflix PoP at 5Gbps or more) but the majority of client control-plane and data is served from AWS if it is not cached by your ISP or an ISP upstream from your ISP.

Looking purely at the UK, all the big consumer ISP's likely run OCA's - typically it would save them between 5-10x the International banwidth (i.e. updates are typically upto 40TB/day while customer traffic is typically >>250TB/day).

More clients in the UK is primarily just more bandwidth that the local ISP's have to deal with (i.e. local Exchange uplinks to ISP PoP) rather than driving significantly more AWS server capacity.

What I'm unsure of is the commercials around OFA's and the necessary uplinks to Netflix PoP's i.e. whether ISP's/Netflix contribute to this or any sharing of costs.

Looking at the number of sites Netflix offer peering from, most large ISP's would already have significant capactiy at one or more of these points anyway.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon