Reply to post: Re: Let me get this straight

The show Musk go on: Tesla defies Silicon Valley coronavirus lockdown order, keeps Fremont factory open

Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: Let me get this straight

If the number of people requiring hospitalisation exceeds the number of ventilators/staff available, then the mortality rate of the excess is going to be more like 100% - the reason they are hospitalised is because they require ventilators to stay alive.

That's where triage will come in. There's a big danger in extrapolation. So currently it's reported there are 222,000 confirmed infections and 9,000 dead, so running 4% mortality. But mortality rates are higher in immunosuppressed people, so the risk is skewed to that population, ie elderly and people with pre-existing conditions. Thus far, if you're young and healthy, you get the flu-like experience, so isolate and ride it out. Challenge there seems to be the rapid spread, so lots of people ill at the same time. For people hit harder, some may be treatable with a simple oxygen mask & tank and patients sent home.. But as you say, the big risk is the subset that will require more intensive treatment.

For situations like the Tesla factory, if you assume 10,000 staff and 4% mortality, that would mean 400 dead. But more likely several thousand with the flu-like symptoms. And I guess if Tesla offers medical insurance and their HR people have any access to employee health data, you could screen that to identify any high-risk staff that should isolate.. Which I guess could also lead to ethical and legal issues if you could screen, but don't.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon