Reply to post:

Think your smartwatch is good for warning of a heart attack? Turns out it's surprisingly easy to fool its AI

vtcodger Silver badge

"Is this really a problem, or a proof of concept with very limited applications and concerns?"

Somewhere in between perhaps. Some physiological measurements are simple and straightforward. Temperature for example. Or pulse rate. Others are judgment calls. Systolic blood pressure (the second number in BP measurements) for example. I'm told that some folks don't genuinely have any well defined systolic cut off. Electrocardiograms definitely seem to fall into the judgment call category. Providing me with a chart of my EC wouldn't do much good. I don't have the slightest idea how to interpret it. And neither do most other people I'm pretty sure. I actually read up on that once. And I concluded that it'd take a lot more training than I have any intention of getting for me to make sense of ECs. So having a cheap device that can check it might be useful. But the device has to work properly for most people most of the time. And it'd help if it knew when its readings are unreliable.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon