Reply to post:

BOFH: Here he comes, all wide-eyed with the boundless optimism of youth. He is me, 30 years ago... what to do?

Blade918rr

A familiar story.

But, 50% of the job is not IT related, IT knowledge just allows us to better understand the business problems and monitor for risk.

50% of the job is critical thinking and providing information and guidance to the business to allow it to make decisions that hopefully result in business successes

Yes, we often feel that the business is not doing the right thing (from our view) but the business is much bigger that one department (IT).

New starters in the industry will consider they have a full knowledge base. unfortunately their knowledge base will be 90% theory based on generic academic views of how things should be done (different between best endeavour and reasonable business endeavour based on risk analysis)

Us "time served" IT pro's need to enhance and shape new starters knowledge. So as to avoid the pain and business losses experienced by time served IT pro's

Over the years I try to detach from the emotional aspects and just try to provide information and guidance based on facts, if the business chooses not to act upon the information, I assume there is a good reason.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon