Reply to post: Re: Still use Delphi

25 years of Delphi and no Oracle in sight: Not a Visual Basic killer but hard to kill

Plest Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: Still use Delphi

Admirable and sure I do subscribe to the "if it ain't broke" mindset but come on, this is just asking for trouble.

I've lost count of the number of times I've put systems on life support because app owners and devs won't move on. We still have a system where I work that's running Oracle v7, Informix and Solaris 8, due one application that 3 users in the company demand we keep running. We're completely unsupported and only 2 people know how to keep it running now. The company that supplies the app went out of business 6 years ago and it took 3 months to get our hands on the source code so we can store it just in case we need to ever try to recompile it!

Things needs to move on, stupidly keeping legacy code and apps around just for the sake of it and denying yourself access to the latest tech is just narrow minded and to my mind, selfish to those who have to support it when it starts to crumble.

I learned to write DOS batch code back around 1986, I loved seeing how far I code push batch code. The largest DOS batch script I wrote was around 2000 lines long and controlled the company's main overnight batch processing. These days I use Powershell and C# to write batch processes on a 3,000 server MS shop. Powershell is incredible and so adaptable, comparing batch to powershell is like comparing the first boneshaker bicycle to a modern 750cc bike.

Things change, don't change for the sake of it of course but there are good reasons to change and move on, take advantage of the latest developments and the latest tech is designed to allow you to save time and spend more time learning fun new stuff. I'd rather write a 10 line Powershell script that let's me deal with 750 windows hosts in a single call rather than fight with 250 line VB or batch scripts and hours of wrangling.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon