Reply to post: Re: The real story - No Rights Employees ("employed for tax purposes")

What do we want? A proper review of IR35! When do we want it? Last year! Bunch of IT contractors protest outside UK Parliament

batfink Silver badge

Re: The real story - No Rights Employees ("employed for tax purposes")

Yep. Sensible contractors have totted up the costs/benefits and know exactly what their take-home equates to against a permie salary. You'd be surprised at how close things are, once you've done the calculations against paid holidays, pension contribution matching, paid sick days etc etc.

A few years ago I went permie after a lot of years' contracting. My take-home from my permie salary isn't a lot different from my contracting days. TBF my new role is fairly senior and comes with a decent salary, so YMMV.

So, while it may LOOK like the person beside you is taking home a lot more than you are, it may not be the case once you've calculated it all out. So, don't just look at the headline figure.

As Adam40 says: if the contractor beside you is actually getting a lot more in the hand than you are (for the same job), then it's time to move jobs. Or go contracting. You do have the choice.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020