Reply to post: Re: I never understood why ...

Whoa, France. Take it easy. Wow. You're out of control. Fining Apple 55 minutes of revenue for secretly slowing down iPhones? Maniaques!

doublelayer Silver badge

Re: I never understood why ...

I'm aware that batteries age and decrease the peak power they can provide. And yet, we don't see devices without this throttling, such as other companies phones, laptops, and Apple phones before this happened, shutting down in this way, even with old batteries. That implies that those manufacturers looked at the peak power they were going to be using and selected their batteries to be likely to be capable of providing that power for quite a while. Meanwhile, Apple didn't, so their devices do shut down unexpectedly when not particularly old. In this case, Apple devices are not performing to the standard used by multiple other competitors, including some made by Apple. The shorter form of saying this is "design flaw".

And now you're telling me that I caused this by leaving my phone connected to the mains while its battery was at full capacity? You know so much about batteries, so you'd also know that it is virtually necessary to have overcharge prevention circuits on lithium ion batteries to prevent fires. Apple has those. And yet, the circuits they have are somehow unable to realize that the power has reached full capacity and take measures designed to prolong the life of the battery? Despite knowing that many users will do what I do and charge the device while they sleep, meaning that it is very likely that the device will be at full capacity for quite a while before the cable is disconnected. I have to say, I've never heard Apple making this argument. It's a very good thing for them that I haven't, because that would probably be an even worse design flaw.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon