Reply to post: Historic Linux destktop environment question

Historic Linux destktop environment question

Kiwi
Boffin

Historic Linux destktop environment question

Hi there,

Wanting to settle an argument and would be happy to be proven wrong.

I've been using Linux for some time, and as my main desktop for most of that time. I've used various display managers and desktop environments in that time, including having several set up on one machine. I can recall using Super Karamba (sp) for some display effects perhaps back as far as 2005 (maybe earlier, maybe NOT that far back), and also earlier KDE and Gnome, plus others (eg whatever earlier Knoppix was based around).

I do not recall being able to change DE without at least logging out, and perhaps even having to restart the machine (or at least re-start X).

I have a friend who insists that you used to be able to change desktop environment while logged in, without logging out. He claims he can remember using a menu while logged in to make the change. I myself am quite certain that the architecture would not allow this although I am also aware I can run "kde-only" programs under Mate with the appropriate packages installed.

I'd love for any of the older hands to confirm either side. I'm quite happy to learn in these matters and have no objections to being proven wrong or even being proven a total idiot from time to time :)

Much thanks for any responses.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon