Reply to post: Guess I'm a fossil, then

RIP FTP? File Transfer Protocol switched off by default in Chrome 80

Elledan
Coat

Guess I'm a fossil, then

The rationale for removing features like FTP support is usually 'nobody uses it any more' and 'it's a security risk because it's not encrypted'. That seems to go hand-in-hand with wanting to disable HTTP support and switching everyone to HTTPS.

In the olden days, when Netscape 4.7x was still relevant, and the thought of tabbed browsers not a spark in anyone's imagination yet, encrypted comms was something you used when you had sensitive data to hide, like your shopping data and creditcard details, or your online banking sessions. Now it seems everything has to be encrypted, including those cat pictures you just downloaded after a friend sent you some links via (encrypted) email. Because imagine if someone read those things.

Your boss would be at your desk in the morning, foaming at the mouth as they slam a stack of incriminating photographic evidence of those cat pictures on your desk.

Let's ignore for a moment the irony that in those olden days everyone told you to never use your real name online or give anyone any personal details about you. Now we have Facebook, Twitter, et al. and the rush to spill as much of our personal lives on those sites including every detail about our offspring (who haven't consented, obviously). And Facebook et al. will never suffer an embarrassing data breach or bug that makes all 'private' data 'public'. Obviously.

What good is end-to-end encryption, Mr. Anderson, if both ends are leaky like a sieve?

Guess I'll be over in the ol' Greyboards corner, using my 'legacy' browsers, like Pale Moon, with its quaint 'plugins' and 'FTP' support.

Obviously my jacket is the one with the 'senior citizen' card in the pocket.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon