Reply to post: Re: Something smells wrong

GitLab can proclaim diversity all it likes, but it seems to have a real problem keeping women on staff or in management

DavCrav Silver badge

Re: Something smells wrong

"The problem with your attitude"

Try saying "The problem with this argument", rather than implying he needs to be sent to a re-education camp. It might help with trying to convince people.

"we all have unconscious biases, the research has demonstrated this time and time again."

The research on unconscious bias is not, in my view, scientific. (I am a scientist, so I get to make those type of statements.) I'm not questioning the existence of unconscious bias, but I am questioning whether any of the current 'tests' a) detect anything at all, b) are detecting bias, rather than something else, and c) whether the thing that they detect has any real-world consequences. Each of these needs to be true for the tests to be useful, and I think the evidence is threadbare for each of them.

These are all valid questions when statements like "if you click slightly slower on this word than that then you are a racist" are thrown around.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020