Reply to post: Again...

Need 32-bit Linux to run past 2038? When version 5.6 of the kernel pops, you're in for a treat

Luiz Abdala
Pint

Again...

I will post my comment again from another thread...

I had a VCR-embedded-on-a-CRT that borked itself, because its calendar only goes to 2020. It merrily reset itself to the year of its production, 1990, and kept on chugging. If it worked, you'd just need to sync it up to the leap year...

So, you don't need to go very far to find unsuspecting gear that might suffer from any form of Y2K syndrome. Embedded RTC oscillators that have a calendar might exist, and be installed anywhere, that were never designed to get past a certain date. Those CASIO wristwatches built in the 70's with permanent calendars are likely candidates, for example.

This stuff will either break outright, or reset themselves to the date of production and keep on going, like a car odometer... By the way, a car odometer is the first Y2K-suffering object ever, and very few people realized it.

Again... not just computers, but also purely mechanical objects could also have y2k issues about it, that very few people might know or care.

Beer, because it takes some time to make and drink a decent brew.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon