Reply to post: Re: Good, good.

Boris celebrates taking back control of Brexit Britain's immigration – with unlimited immigration program

Kiwi
Pint

Re: Good, good.

when asked why, stated "to stop the immigrants coming here" as a main reason.

I have a very strong dislike of NZ's broad immigration policies and what they mean for this nation.

Racism has nothing to do with it. What is a problem is the number of people who cannot afford housing, the rate at which infrastructure is falling behind. At the last election I voted for a party with a policy of reducing immigration. We still are getting between 50,000 and 70,000 people per year. I don't really give a stuff about what jobs they do, but our housing, transport, plumbing, electrical, medical etc infrastructure are NOT keeping pace and that is leading to a number of issues for our nation, including housing shortages (too many families living in cars, garages etc), looming power shortages (both due to a lack of new stations and new cabling) though there is still some spare capacity, water (Wellington has just started some work on new reservoirs - IIRC now needed 30 years ahead of earlier forecasts)

The same party I voted for also has a policy of increasing our refugee quote, which will rise to 1,500 this year - personally I'd love to see that at least doubled perhaps quadrupled. Maybe NZ could do 10,000 refugees but no other immigrants (unless some very special needs cases can be proven).

It's not racism, not even close. Nor is it xenophobia or "isolationism". It's a desire for immigrant numbers to match what the nation can sustain, and to be cut right back until the infrastructure has a chance to catch up. It's a desire to lessen the stress and even suffering many people in NZ experience, largely due to issues around immigration (that's not the only one but one that can help).

Did you ever really sit down and discuss the issues with your family? Kudos if you did. Or are you just one of those who decides that anyone who disagrees with you is stupid, without bothering to try to learn something about the other side and lessen your own ignorance?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon