Reply to post: Re: My reply is no i do servers

Beware the Friday afternoon 'Could you just..?' from the muppet who wants to come between you and your beer

Aussie Doc
Pint

Re: My reply is no i do servers

Yeah, I like to barter. Back in Windows 3.1 days had a guy needed some work done - I upgraded his PC with old parts I had, reinstall Windows add some Public Domain/(real) Shareware games for his kids (everyone loved that) and replaced a broken monitor cable. All at no cost because he was new to town (outback Australia).

Found out he was an electrician.

He was so grateful that he came to my place (pre-air con) and installed ceiling light/fan combos in all my rooms. We'd bought them hoping to install 'soon'.

Spent ages up in the hot roof doing 'electrician stuff'. We fed him well that day, too.

Total win-win all round.

Much later on, he wired my outside shed (four car garage) for me complete with heaps of lighting and power outlets because I gave his two (lovely) kids nice secondhand laptops for their use. I think I covered some costs for powerpoints/outlets although he said he finds them everywhere. Just like we IT folk seem to score memory chips or old HDDs that still work.

Poor guy died from liver cancer not too long ago. Quite sad really. Nice bloke.

TL;DR Bartering works well then you die.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon