Reply to post: Re: Balance of priorities?

Big Falcon explosion as SpaceX successfully demos Crew Dragon abort systems

Kiwi
Pint

Re: Balance of priorities?

PS. The "We must do something now" has to include "without making a bigger FUBAR that hits us in 100 years"

I'll respond to both your posts with a simple comment.

I very much like the way you think!

Ok, as a gardener-type I still feel the amount of carbon in the atmosphere is a bit low (hence why so many greenhouse owners pump CO2 into them!) but there are ways to overcome that.

But replacing fossil generation is not an easy task, and replacing the gas heating with electric will require a massive investment in infrastructure. It's not just electric cars requiring power, it's now electric heaters as well were the grid didn't have them previously. The demand will escalate considerably to achieve this and that means a lot more than a few 'grid batteries" dotted about the place. Means new cables, new switchgear, maybe even new substations. A 1,000,000 gallon tank will run dry if the incoming water is less than the outgoing water.

So many people don't seem to grasp the amount of resources needed to make the desired changes, and the cost to us and the environment if we get this wrong. And with some of the demanded changes - there is very much that is "wrong" :(

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon