Reply to post: Is there anything

IBM, Microsoft, a medley of others sing support for Google against Oracle in Supremes' Java API copyright case

sbt Silver badge
Meh

Is there anything

Well I'm only trying to correct the record on what the status quo is. I'm not trying to convince people the law is wrong, or the judgements were wrong. I could cite the precedents noted by the judgements in support of the rulings (but why duplicate?). I could cite amici for either side, but I'm clearly not going to change your opinion on what the law should be (or how it should be interpreted).

Given the Supreme Court denied petition on Google's first appeal with regard to the JAVA API they copied was subject to copyright, I don't expect a win for them on that leg, seemingly unchanged. Now the Supremes could have denied it the first time around simply because the "fair use" alternative defence was unresolved.

Whether Google prevails on "fair use" probably hinges on whether interoperability somehow comes into it, despite not being a clear legal point of law or precedent. Without Congressional intervention, I see just as much danger in a win for either side, given folks will stretch the boundaries and litigate around them. Ambiguity is opportunity.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020