Reply to post:

Apple calls BS on FBI, AG: We're totally not dragging our feet in murder probe iPhone decryption. PS: No backdoors

Lord Elpuss Silver badge

"The big message coming out of the USA Government over the last couple of years is: avoid any products from within the US sphere of influence."

How did you infer this? Apple is within the US sphere of influence, and is resolutely sticking to its position in the face of everything US.gov can throw at it - which is the whole point of the article. The message coming out of USA Gov is more like: "we'll keep pushing to violate citizens' 4A rights until we get a ruling that lets us do what we like, at which point all bets are off for all technology everywhere."

Assuming I wanted to avail myself of the benefits of smart tech, right now I'd buy an iPhone over any other internet-connected smart comms device. At least the company is pushing back on arbitrary violations and not just selling my data to the highest bidder, whilst also being big enough that they can do encryption properly (you could do it yourself but do you really - honestly - think you could build anything that would stand up to the tender affections of the NSA?).

Right now the only realistic alternative is not to step into the smart/connected/cloudy environment at all, and keep everything offline.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020