Reply to post: I feel fortunate

Google scolded for depriving the poor of privacy as Chinese malware bundled on phones for hard-up Americans

Crazy Operations Guy Silver badge

I feel fortunate

I feel fortunate that I have the skill set to replace the OS on my phones with something clean. But not everyone can do this, and it might not even be possible on some of the lower-end phones with their proprietary SoCs that require substantial proprietary knowledge to compile a kernel for.

Google could easily fix it if they just required that phones shipping with their OS on them must allow for the user to remove everything. Google has the power here and yet they act like the victims. Phone manufacturers can't exactly move to anything else, Windows Phone is dead, and Apple sure as hell isn't going to allow their OS on anything they didn't make themselves. Yes, there are other OSes, but there is no way they can compete against the Google/Apple duopoly, unless they can figure out some way to convince app developers to also develop for their platform (And it would have to be a lot of them).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020