Reply to post: Re: XP Home Edition!

Shhh! It's us, Microsoft. Yes, it's 2020. We're here with a new build of Windows 10

kmedcalf

Re: XP Home Edition!

All those things are relatively easy to fix in WIndows 10. Telemetry is easily turned off. (You mention Telemetry twice -- to which I reply that it is quite easy to disable all telemetry in Windows 10). I have no clue what "File Explorer Search" is, I have never used such a thing in 4 decades of computer use. Forced updates can easily be turned off as well. (And no, I don't mean "pausing", whatever the hell that is, this is not a VCR). And the Start menu and a bunch of other foolery can be fixed with Classic Shell.

The propensity of Microsoft to keep resetting things to THEIR preference is very annoying though, and I haven't figured out how to fix that "feature" except through (a) group policy and (b) having custom written software run every few minutes to check for and reverse unauthorized changes (such as the propensity for every piece of Microsoft Shit to bypass the firewall and receive unsolicited incoming connections).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020