Reply to post: Re: Load shedding?

Train-knackering software design blunder discovered after lightning sparked Thameslink megadelay

Martin an gof Silver badge

Re: Load shedding?

It took about a week for power to become stabilized.

By which count the problems last August in the UK were completely insignificant.

The thing which has struck me about the coverage is that the National Grid operated (more-or-less) as designed, and despite the loss of nearly twice the amount of generating capacity that had been planned for, the thing was back at a stable frequency within about five minutes, and loads were being reconnected shortly after that. We have longer outages than that at home on a regular basis and it is no big deal.

Pretty much all the panic was because of the knock-on effects on the trains, and the causes of those - because power was never disconnected from the rail network - was purely and simply down to all those new-fangled engines switching off when they shouldn't have, and staying switched off when they should have been re-bootable by the driver.

All the initial blame was heaped on the National Grid, and since then although the train problems have been reported, I haven't seen any reporting which attempts to address this issue. I suppose "a few trains broke" just isn't as much of a story as "nationwide blackout".

M.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon